Password

Album Review

Jamie's Elsewhere - They Said a Storm Was Coming Album Cover

Jamie's Elsewhere - They Said a Storm Was Coming

Reviewed by
Jamie's Elsewhere - They Said a Storm Was Coming
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: February 16, 2010
Jamie's Elsewhere are back with their hard hitting sophomore effort They Said a Storm Was Coming on Victory Records. I'll be honest, I lost all faith in Jamie's Elsewhere after their utterly generic debut album Guidebook For Sinners Turned to Saints. But on They Said a Storm Was Coming, Jamie's Elsewhere stepped it up on so many levels.

The disc opens up with the track "Seasons" and hits hard right from the start, something I was not expecting from Jamie's Elsewhere. Quickly Jamie's Elsewhere displays how easy they can transition from squealing guitars to soothing melodies. The opening track hints at what you'll hear throughout the album. "The Mapmaker" shows us what new vocalist Aaron Pauley can really do. Soaring high vocals to low growls, he has it covered and is the highlight of the album.

The title track starts out with electronic programming, something that is being overkilled by many bands in the genre. Mike Spearmen does a great job of not overbearing us with them as he places them perfectly and fit right in with the rest of the band. Guitarist Matt Scrapelli, Anthony Carioscio and Chance Mederios interject great technical riffs and that they can be heavy with the help from drummer Anthony Scapelli. Aaron Pauley's growls fit in with him screaming "Washed away / They said a storm was coming and / You’ll be washed away!”

"One Foot in the Grave" displays just how much emotion Jamie's Elsewhere put into their music. Pauley's voice and range are really what sets the song off. This track is definitely one that makes They Said a Storm Was Coming stand out in the genre. The next track "The Prodigal" sounds like a b-side from Thrice's Water EP. The programming with Pauley's voice layered over the top creates a breather, as you'll need one to finish out the album. If you happened to forget just how heavy Jamie's Elsewhere can get, "Wolves" and "A Slave, a Son" are quick reminders. "Antithethis" finishes out the album and go's out with a bang. This track is sure to get the pit going.

They Said a Storm Was Coming was a complete surprise for me. I didn't think Jamie's Elsewhere were capable of something this good. It doesn't change the scene by any means, but it'll give them some recognition. After donating 40% of the pre-sale profits to the victims of Haiti, I think you owe them a listen.

Recommended If You LikeBurden of a Day's Oneonethousand; Of Machines; Sleeping with Sirens

myspace.com/jamieselsewhere
This review is a user submitted review from Handraa. You can see all of Handraa's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
03:38 PM on 04/06/10
whateverwrks
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great album, definite surprise...band might as well have changed their name...new singer and almost completely different sound, but in a good way
03:48 PM on 04/06/10
Barto1127
The Man
User Info.
great album
04:09 PM on 04/06/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Shocking, there is no comparing this to the debut. So much better.
04:19 PM on 04/06/10
HometownHero
User Info.
This band is pretty bad
04:23 PM on 04/06/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Good review for a great album, the vocals are a million times better on this album
04:47 PM on 04/06/10
Color Morale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is one of the best albums i have ever heard in my entire life.

the stats on the ratings should be so much higher. aarons voice is so godlike
04:56 PM on 04/06/10
cwhit412
User Info.
This band is pretty bad
Only negative review so far.
You must like post count +1.
05:17 PM on 04/06/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
This album is incredibly generic. I miss the old Jamie's Elsewhere.
05:32 PM on 04/06/10
bcblink
User Info.
Aaron's a great singer. Good review.
05:47 PM on 04/06/10
HometownHero
User Info.
this is one of the best albums i have ever heard in my entire life.

the stats on the ratings should be so much higher. aarons voice is so godlike
Oh my god lol
05:47 PM on 04/06/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Only negative review so far.
You must like post count +1.
Read the post below yours
06:02 PM on 04/06/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Read the post below yours
Except old Jamie's Elsewhere was awful.
06:04 PM on 04/06/10
ndoleman
Registered Member
User Info.
Agree.
06:18 PM on 04/06/10
HometownHero
User Info.
All synth core bands like this are awful. They bring absolutely nothing new to the table

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos