AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cady Groves - The Life of a Pirate Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.69
Musicianship 6.13
Lyrics 6.19
Production 7.19
Creativity 6.69
Lasting Value 6.69
Reviewer Tilt 7.06
Average: 67%
Inside AP.net

Cady Groves - The Life of a Pirate

Reviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (03/26/10)
Cady Groves - The Life of a Pirate
Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 23rd, 2010

Who?
Cady Groves is a young and upcoming acoustic pop singer that has gained notable attention through Myspace and Purevolume. Being compared to acts like Nevershoutnever! may not give her much cred outside of the teen scene, but I promise you that there is more substance than meets the eye with Cady Groves. This 20 year old has determination, a voice that can bring a smile to anyone’s face and a heart that pumps passion.

How is it?
The Life of a Pirate is nothing but a stepping stone in the career of Cady Groves. “One in The Same” is instantly infectious as soon as you hit play. Groves’ distinct vocals are what make her stand out from other internet sensations. “Real With Me” follows your usual pop radio hit approach except for the fact that emotion actually surfaces throughout the whole song and ends up being the real knockout on The Life of a Pirate. The second song released off the EP happens to be “Changin Me,” a simple uplifting pop tune that will have you singing to yourself in the shower. Although the title track closer talks about starting a new life as a pirate, Groves still incorporates her heartfelt lyrics that saves the song from being a foolish throwaway.

Cady Groves is the real deal and has the heart and soul to make it in this dog eat dog world known as the music industry. For kids that complain about true artists being overlooked they should stop in their tracks and at least give this girl a shot. Distance the fact that her music has gotten popular with the crowd that loves Christopher Drew and give her a fair chance. With a look that can make your heart melt and a voice that can put Taylor Swift to shame, she at least deserves a chance.

Recommended If You Like He Is We; Taylor Swift; Stephen Jerzak

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
08:42 AM on 03/26/10
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This girl is so, so talented.
08:53 AM on 03/26/10
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I find it so incredibly weird that people on this site seem to like her... Seems very, very, very unlike everyone here to like someone like this.
09:10 AM on 03/26/10
chrislauren
tiny dots on an endless timeline.
User Info.
I find it so incredibly weird that people on this site seem to like her... Seems very, very, very unlike everyone here to like someone like this.
what do you mean exactly?
09:16 AM on 03/26/10
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
It's because she's basically Taylor Swift with a bit more of a punk style to make it more acceptable to this crowd. (Not saying she's not good, but that's just my opinion of why she's popular here.)
09:34 AM on 03/26/10
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what do you mean exactly?
I mean she seems kinda like the girl version of Never Shout Never. She does her stuff acoustic, appeals to a younger crowd, poppy/catchy, autotuneetc. I really like it, but she doesn't at all seem like she's something people around here would like, considering they hate the hell out of Never Shout Never.
09:36 AM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.

Taylor Swift will never be put to shame.
hahaha I knew you would be in here repping swizzle.
09:40 AM on 03/26/10
chrislauren
tiny dots on an endless timeline.
User Info.
I mean she seems kinda like the girl version of Never Shout Never. She does her stuff acoustic, appeals to a younger crowd, poppy/catchy, autotuneetc. I really like it, but she doesn't at all seem like she's something people around here would like, considering they hate the hell out of Never Shout Never.
I was thinking that too. I can't stand NSN, but I love her.
10:05 AM on 03/26/10
And Hours Pass
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
User Info.

My duties as the T-Swizzle fanboy are well served. If AP ever needs a staffer for Taylor Swift news, this is your guy, right here, haha. Can't imagine that position ever opening up.

Side note: Good review; I love reading once-overs. Some reviews drag on, and on, and on, and leave people to only look at the percentage, not read the review, and then bash the reviewer for "NO WAY THIS DESERVES A 78%. THIS IS THE BEST RECORD OF THE YEAR."

This sadly happens on more reviews than it doesn't...
10:39 AM on 03/26/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
Good review. Not a big fan of hers.
10:42 AM on 03/26/10
mantipede
What a grand escape!
User Info.
The only thing I don't like about this album is how autotuned her voice sounds sometimes. I mean, I know it had to have been used a few times, at least. It's annoying but it's minor, this CD's great.
10:46 AM on 03/26/10
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
i'm really glad people actually like her on this site. she is so cute and i love her tunes.
10:54 AM on 03/26/10
makeoutmags
every moment bleeds into one
User Info.
I get the NSN comparison, but I honestly can't listen to him and I enjoy a few of the tracks I've heard from Cady. So I think that people should definitely try and put aside their opinions on NSN and give her music a shot. She looks about 15 but I think she is in her twenties, and it seems like she's not writing about high school but life. She does appeal in the same way Taylor Swift might but I think her lyrics are a lot deeper, I relate to them more than I would a T-Swift song.
11:10 AM on 03/26/10
HometownHero
User Info.
I thoroughly enjoy this EP and her. She will be my wife
11:35 AM on 03/26/10
mantipede
What a grand escape!
User Info.
I thoroughly enjoy this EP and her. She will be my wife
Not if I wed her first.

Fight to the death? Chicks dig that, right?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests