AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
12:11 PM on 03/26/10
pleasegoodmusic
User Info.
When you start off a review with an assumption like this...

"MGMT happens to be one of those young bands that play music for the hell of it and ultimately write a few songs that end up being monster hits."

I guess it's easy to draw a conclusion like this...

"This album has separated the true fans from the radio pop posers and that was its goal."

I disagree big time.
12:24 PM on 03/26/10
pleasegoodmusic
User Info.
I guess when I say a completely different, I mean they took the not so successful side of their music and broadened it out and elongated it to new levels. I can't tell you how many kids I have run into that jock MGMT, but yet can only name off Kids and Electric Feel. I feel like if you truly like a band, you should appreciate the majority of their work, specially when they only have one major release. To nitpick songs like people do with this band is kind of absurd.
I don't understand this line of reasoning. MGMT is a pop band with three huge pop hits. Why would you fault anyone for liking the band's singles, all which were released with the singleminded purpose of getting people to like the band. Let's be honest, pop singles are what made this band sell tons of records, get a grammy nomination, and gain national attention. Now they want to punish people for only liking their pop songs? Stupid. Without the hits, they're just another brooklyn band with like, 30 fans.
12:25 PM on 03/26/10
pleasegoodmusic
User Info.
Agreed, I can't count the number of times my friends shouted at me to put Electric Feel on at a party.
Like, numerous times a night.
Yet when I played Flash Delirium to them they had a horrified look on their face like I just raped their innocence away.
Possibly because 1) Electric Feel is a great song to play at a party, and 2) Flash Delirium is really, really bad.
03:04 PM on 03/26/10
pleasegoodmusic
User Info.
I understand what you're saying but I don't think the intention of MGMT was to go out and make pop hits. Sure that's what got them national attention and a grammy nomination, but given their history is that the kind of music they make? Is that who they really are? They even stated that the new fame caught them off guard and never expected it. What's wrong with them using their status to sell records that are filled with songs that they are all about? I don't see this as punishing their fans? There has been evidence leading up to Congratulaions that it was going to be a more psychedelic record that wouldn't sit well with the mainstream folks. Where were the press when the band released Metanoia? The one song, 13 minute EP released in 2008? If that wasn't a good indicator of what was to come then I don't know what to tell you.
I think this is a perfect example of a band misinterpreting their popularity. They wouldn't have sold more than 20k tops if it weren't for the hits. It's not like pre-Oracular they had legions of dedicated fans, and now everyone is on the bandwagon following the singles. Nearly ALL of their fans became aware of them because of the singles. It's not like they were some underground phenomenon that blew up after their 5th album. It's as ridiculous as Ke$ha trying to shed fans who "only like the single". That's practically 99% of the fanbase!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos