Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts
01:16 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I think that's unfair. As you said in your review, OS is the exact opposite of this record. If someone really enjoyed the singles from that album and therefore listened to OS and liked it, they were MGMT fans. The band has gone a completely different direction here (good or bad, your choice) but it's crass to say those people were "radio pop posers."
I guess when I say a completely different, I mean they took the not so successful side of their music and broadened it out and elongated it to new levels. I can't tell you how many kids I have run into that jock MGMT, but yet can only name off Kids and Electric Feel. I feel like if you truly like a band, you should appreciate the majority of their work, specially when they only have one major release. To nitpick songs like people do with this band is kind of absurd.
01:33 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I don't understand this line of reasoning. MGMT is a pop band with three huge pop hits. Why would you fault anyone for liking the band's singles, all which were released with the singleminded purpose of getting people to like the band. Let's be honest, pop singles are what made this band sell tons of records, get a grammy nomination, and gain national attention. Now they want to punish people for only liking their pop songs? Stupid. Without the hits, they're just another brooklyn band with like, 30 fans.
I understand what you're saying but I don't think the intention of MGMT was to go out and make pop hits. Sure that's what got them national attention and a grammy nomination, but given their history is that the kind of music they make? Is that who they really are? They even stated that the new fame caught them off guard and never expected it. What's wrong with them using their status to sell records that are filled with songs that they are all about? I don't see this as punishing their fans? There has been evidence leading up to Congratulaions that it was going to be a more psychedelic record that wouldn't sit well with the mainstream folks. Where were the press when the band released Metanoia? The one song, 13 minute EP released in 2008? If that wasn't a good indicator of what was to come then I don't know what to tell you.
01:44 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I like this album better than their previous effort, personally.
Ditto. Glad to see others that feel this way.
01:56 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I'll definitely be giving it a listen after it comes out. I have to admit I really enjoy their pop side, though. "Electric Feel" is probably one of my all-time favorite songs. How weird/psychedelic are we talking here, like Embryonic? That could be cool, I guess.
Not that intense. There is definitely still pop, personally I think "It's Working" is just as catchy as kids after repeat listens. It just doesn't have the catchy keyboard line, but the melodies and musicianship throughout the song and album is really reminiscent of the 60's and 70's surf and psychedelic rock. Don't get me wrong, I love "Electric Feel" too, I just got blown out with it thanks to my friends.
07:58 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
"They made a record that doesn't have one radio hit, let alone a sing and yet is stronger than their previous efforts."

Single?

And nice review. Looking forward to finally hearing this.

Thanks! I changed some things around last minute and missed that.

lol at the people condemning fans for being fans of the singles.

What the fuck do you think a single is supposed to do? As a band, don't alienate people for liking the songs YOU chose to represent YOURSELF with. And as a band's fan, don't pretend like this sub-par album is a groundbreaking experimental masterpiece because you like talking down to people who like "Time To Pretend" and "Kids" more than the new shit.

Of course singles are meant to get people into bands but it's obvious that there is a divide in their music, at least on OS. The singles hooked people and then they would go check out the rest of their music and be like meh, I only care for the singles. Who's saying that this album is a groundbreaking masterpiece? I'm pretty sure I made it evident that it's definitely an ode to the past. It has nothing to do with talking down people who like the singles. They are great songs in their own right, some of the best singles I have heard in years, but this album as a whole blows OS out of the water.
08:04 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I'm definitely not a fan of this review. I normally enjoy your reviews, but this one completely rubbed me the wrong way. You just talk down to all of us who enjoyed the last album like we aren't worthy of being on the same "level" as those who enjoy Congratulations. Basically, you just came across as a condescending ass.

If you want to know what I mean:
"Lucky for us who enjoy music outside of catchy hooks and jingles, we got what we wanted..."
"Congratulations is a mission, a mission to weed out the weak and keep the strong."

Maybe that's just your style of writing, I really don't know. I, like most people, enjoyed more than just the singles on Oracular Spectacular. But there's no doubt the singles were the band at its finest. The first album gained them a lot of fans, but they don't want to be stars, so they self-sabotaged their own work, creating this boring piece of shit. You can call me a poser, or say I'm not a true fan, because I don't like this album, but I don't really care. I've bought their past music. I've seen them live. And now they don't really give a shit about me, or any of the rest of us, because we made them for too popular to comprehend.

Oh well, at least this album has one positive for the guys... they've most definitely lost a bunch of fans (myself included), just like they wanted. They pretty much just slapped us people that have paid to see them or bought their albums in the face. Just goes to show that, while some musicians are great, others aren't thankful for their good fortune and don't really give a shit about any of us fans who got them to where they are today.
I wasn't trying to come off as an ass, I just read the stream thread, so allllllllll of the hate in that and in the Flash Delirium thread too. Mostly people writing it off as terrible and comparing it to the past. I just took the review in the perspective that people complain so much about commercial pop, and yet the same label and image has been pasted onto a band that didn't really want that in the first place, nor really deserved it. 3 songs out of 10 is by far the minority and the rest of the album goes un-talked about. Just kind of irks me that there is this double standard in peoples minds and I guess I just channeled that and came across angry. I really do enjoy this album and I find it a lot better than OS, but I can see why someone wouldn't like this album too. I'm open to both sides of the argument, I just wish people wouldn't write it off because it doesn't have the instant hook of Kids or Electric Feel, you know?
08:08 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I think this is a perfect example of a band misinterpreting their popularity. They wouldn't have sold more than 20k tops if it weren't for the hits. It's not like pre-Oracular they had legions of dedicated fans, and now everyone is on the bandwagon following the singles. Nearly ALL of their fans became aware of them because of the singles. It's not like they were some underground phenomenon that blew up after their 5th album. It's as ridiculous as Ke$ha trying to shed fans who "only like the single". That's practically 99% of the fanbase!

I don't think they misinterpreted it, I think they just didn't see it coming. Of course they wouldn't have sold that many albums, those singles were huge in more than just the mainstream. They had a solid following, but you're right, not to the level they do now and they do owe that to their singles. I think they may have come across too much that they were going to shed their fan base, when in reality they just wanted to try something new. But I could be wrong
08:09 PM on 03/26/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
lol at the people condemning fans for being fans of the singles.

What the fuck do you think a single is supposed to do? As a band, don't alienate people for liking the songs YOU chose to represent YOURSELF with. And as a band's fan, don't pretend like this sub-par album is a groundbreaking experimental masterpiece because you like talking down to people who like "Time To Pretend" and "Kids" more than the new shit.
Oh and being on a major label I'm not positive how much input they had on picking their singles, although it's quite obvious which ones you would pick if you were trying to push the band on to the public.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos