Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 100.
01:40 PM on 03/26/10
danielineffigy
Calm will find your soul.
User Info.
I like the album well enough but I hate this sentiment that they're weeding out their true fans. The album sounds NOTHING like Oracular Spectacular, as you said in your review. How can they be weeding out their true fans if they intentionally alienate the people who liked the songs they chose to put out? This whole anti-radio shtick has no truth to it... it's just internet mumbo jumbo.
01:41 PM on 03/26/10
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
I love this album, and I don't give a fuck. Good review.
01:47 PM on 03/26/10
Ari Christos
blowin on that endo
User Info.
I can't express how much I agreed with this review. I just nodded and said "yes" to myself the entire time. It really articulated everything I felt about the record extremely well - excellent job!
01:53 PM on 03/26/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
I'm definitely not a fan of this review. I normally enjoy your reviews, but this one completely rubbed me the wrong way. You just talk down to all of us who enjoyed the last album like we aren't worthy of being on the same "level" as those who enjoy Congratulations. Basically, you just came across as a condescending ass.

If you want to know what I mean:
"Lucky for us who enjoy music outside of catchy hooks and jingles, we got what we wanted..."
"Congratulations is a mission, a mission to weed out the weak and keep the strong."

Maybe that's just your style of writing, I really don't know. I, like most people, enjoyed more than just the singles on Oracular Spectacular. But there's no doubt the singles were the band at its finest. The first album gained them a lot of fans, but they don't want to be stars, so they self-sabotaged their own work, creating this boring piece of shit. You can call me a poser, or say I'm not a true fan, because I don't like this album, but I don't really care. I've bought their past music. I've seen them live. And now they don't really give a shit about me, or any of the rest of us, because we made them for too popular to comprehend.

Oh well, at least this album has one positive for the guys... they've most definitely lost a bunch of fans (myself included), just like they wanted. They pretty much just slapped us people that have paid to see them or bought their albums in the face. Just goes to show that, while some musicians are great, others aren't thankful for their good fortune and don't really give a shit about any of us fans who got them to where they are today.
02:02 PM on 03/26/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
It seems like people either really love this or really hate it. I'll take a listen later.
02:23 PM on 03/26/10
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
whats another word for major letdown?
02:26 PM on 03/26/10
guiguedz
User Info.
If this album had come out before OS, nobody would care. And not because it doesn't have catchy hooks or hit singles; it's not as good as the debut, period. We don't need to love every band that takes risks and takes "a new direction".
02:31 PM on 03/26/10
Ciattk
User Info.
Love this album, super spacey and sounds a lot tighter.
02:45 PM on 03/26/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
I'm gonna have to take a listen, I really enjoyed OS though, so I don't know if I will enjoy this.
03:04 PM on 03/26/10
pleasegoodmusic
User Info.
I understand what you're saying but I don't think the intention of MGMT was to go out and make pop hits. Sure that's what got them national attention and a grammy nomination, but given their history is that the kind of music they make? Is that who they really are? They even stated that the new fame caught them off guard and never expected it. What's wrong with them using their status to sell records that are filled with songs that they are all about? I don't see this as punishing their fans? There has been evidence leading up to Congratulaions that it was going to be a more psychedelic record that wouldn't sit well with the mainstream folks. Where were the press when the band released Metanoia? The one song, 13 minute EP released in 2008? If that wasn't a good indicator of what was to come then I don't know what to tell you.
I think this is a perfect example of a band misinterpreting their popularity. They wouldn't have sold more than 20k tops if it weren't for the hits. It's not like pre-Oracular they had legions of dedicated fans, and now everyone is on the bandwagon following the singles. Nearly ALL of their fans became aware of them because of the singles. It's not like they were some underground phenomenon that blew up after their 5th album. It's as ridiculous as Ke$ha trying to shed fans who "only like the single". That's practically 99% of the fanbase!
03:10 PM on 03/26/10
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
terrible review.
03:16 PM on 03/26/10
Two Headed Girl
User Info.
reviewer tilt: 8000
03:36 PM on 03/26/10
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
Both albums are great in each of their own retrospects.
04:22 PM on 03/26/10
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
"They made a record that doesn't have one radio hit, let alone a sing and yet is stronger than their previous efforts."

Single?

And nice review. Looking forward to finally hearing this.
04:39 PM on 03/26/10
danielineffigy
Calm will find your soul.
User Info.
lol at the people condemning fans for being fans of the singles.

What the fuck do you think a single is supposed to do? As a band, don't alienate people for liking the songs YOU chose to represent YOURSELF with. And as a band's fan, don't pretend like this sub-par album is a groundbreaking experimental masterpiece because you like talking down to people who like "Time To Pretend" and "Kids" more than the new shit.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests