AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

It's Alive - 03.27.10

Interviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (03/27/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

It's Alive

http://totalassault.com/assets/?team_id=442
www.myspace.com/itsalive
iTunes ďPiecesĒ http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pie...le/id356602862

1. How did you get your band name?
Actually, from a dream I had the night before we went into the studio to do our first demos. I walked in the mixing room, and on the computer it said "It's Alive: Session 1". I woke up and immediately called Eddie, and he was really into the idea. Dark, & positive. It fit the sound perfectly.

2. How did this band get started?
Eddie, and I had been in bands together since 2002. It just came down to him and I, locking ourselves in his garage writing them on our laptops. Idea after idea. Structure after structure. Sound after sound. After we had material we were excited about we brought Juice in, then shortly after brought Clay in. They were the best musicians we knew, our best friends. It just worked. We got really lucky how seamless this band meshed.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I think more than "bands", we are influenced by sounds. Clay is a guitar gear junkie. If he hears a massive, thick, guitar layer in any band, he's on it and researching exactly how it was made. Same goes for the rest of us. If we hear something that catches our ear, we HAVE TO KNOW how and what made that sound. Lush soundscapes, rock tones, and a lot of soul. We just get off on feeling music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Easy. John Tesh cause you KNOW that dude knows how to party.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I think I'd have to pick being a Lion. Not my favorite Wizard of Oz character BUT, lions are at the top of the food chain, and don't get eaten, or threatened by any other animal. I don't like being eaten.....or threatened for that matter.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well, I don't know if Id say they SHOULD, but I think they'd enjoy it, because it's real. It's riddled with conviction, and I think that's so important especially right now. The truth is something really hard to come by anymore, so we've made it a point to capture soul in this record. It's that dirt, that grime, and all that stuff you don't wanna say out loud, but once you do, you feel reborn. What you're hearing happened, happens, and is happening. Singing a song is great, but feeling a song is better.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Man, I'm gonna have to go with "Questions". Eddie's drums are so powerful, and half the beats he plays I can't even comprehend. Clay's solo at the end knocks my dick in the dirt every single time. I know personally there's no way in hell I could beat it on Expert, man. Those dudes are really solid players. I barely get by singin' the damn thing. hahaha

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I'm apparently notorious for thanking WAY to many people so, I'd probably just start running off at the mouth with every single human being that's ever been in my life. "Mom, Dad, Eddie, Juice, Clay, the mail man, the redhead at the bookstore, the dentist that pulled my tooth when I was 5"

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Honestly, I wouldn't change a damn thing. I think even the negative things about it inspire artist. I think the "industry" has opened up a lot of room for rebellion, and that's one of the most precious things about music. That's a lot of the fire that keeps us going.

10. Memorable tour experience?
When we played our hometown in Orlando. It was really heart-wrenching to see our friends, and all our families in the same place for a cause and IA being that cause. We were so proud. Not the bad kind of proud. The kind you only get the privilege of feeling maybe a hand full of times in your life. We left different men after that show.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means a website, online community, and alternative music news source founded by Jason Tate. A website that mainly focuses on artists who are relatively unknown to mainstream audiences, but has been known to feature artists who have eventually achieved crossover success. Alright.........I google'd that answer. But, I really feel Absolute Punk is so successful because it's run by those that KNOW. The ones that are in the mix. These are the voices of the people that are listening to our voices. They listen to us, now it gives us a chance to listen to them. I think its so crucial, and I think it's great.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Definitely "Pieces". There's something about the energy, and belting the first note of the chorus, that's so therapeutic. It's almost like I need it daily.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Nashville. 110%. I love Nashville, & everything about it. The culture, the hills, the smell, the roads. It's just a great place to clear your brain of unnecessary bullshit.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Ah!! The Temptations!! I was raised on all Motown artists. My mom was all about that soul music. Still blast it, always. You have to appreciate raw groove like that.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
It's a toss up. I've wanted to fly for as long as I can remember. How could you not want to fly, right? But then, I'd love to be able to be invisible. Mostly to creep. I'd creep so hard. White house, studios, doctors offices, girls locker room. Yup......I said it, and I don't even feel bad.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I guess I've never really thought about that? There are a lot of goals we have. We set the bar really high as a group, for ourselves, and as musicians. I think just like any other artists, nothing is ever "done" to us, it just has to be abandon. We literally nitpick our craft until we forget where we are. With brains like that, "making it" is a far fetched phrase. We are so proud of each other, and where we have gotten ourselves though. I will say that.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
All the sound design on the album is done by me. It's not something I really label myself as because for all rights and purposes, I am a vocalist, but I have a passion for sound design, and scoring. I think having a third dimension to our sound is so important, and really what brands It's Alive, so I'd sit a create this soundscape for each one of the songs individually. It makes each one its own animal, and takes you to a different place than the one prior.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
I'm a total Christmas fiend. I'm the dude that drops 500 bucks on the Christmas tree that doesn't even fit in his house, just cause. It's all about family, man. Any excuse to have best friends, and relatives in one place all at the same time, I'm in.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Hang out with the guys (IA), and do typical guy things; poker, basketball games, talk about boobs, play darts, yell for no reason. You know, classy gentlemen type stuff. Also, living in Orlando has made us no stranger to the occasional Disney visit.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can end an interview faster than you can say.....

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
04:54 PM on 03/29/10
krohny101
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
when's the album coming out?
11:48 PM on 04/06/10
ghdiv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
GHD hair straighteners are the popular gift set for both celerities and common
people because of the high quality and world famous brand. And now online shopping can make you save a lot--buy
cheap&quality ghd straighteners sale 50%, Free Shipping ! NO Tax ! you will found
cheap GHD Iv Styler for your need on ghdsaleshop.com
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests