AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Daughters - Daughters Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.2
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.45
Lasting Value 8.85
Reviewer Tilt 7.4
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Daughters - Daughters

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (03/31/10)
Daughters - Daughters
Record Label: Hydra Head Records
Release Date: March 9, 2010

Does finding your sound mean breaking apart? That seems to be the deal for Daughters, who, on the brink of their self-titled, are not much of a band anymore. It's unfortunate, because they have put together their best album to date. In a little less than half an hour, the band finally hit their mark, doing away with anything that remotely resembles their grindcore past and building traditional songs in their relative frequency.

Vocalist Alexis Marshall still sounds as maniacal as he did on 2006's Hell Songs. He literally sounds like the creepy guy sitting in the van down by the local junior high. But this time around, he's more focused than ever - especially his drawl on "The First Supper." Marshall even gives us glimpses of The Jesus Lizard's David Yow on "The Dead Singer" and the opening "The Virgin."

More focused than Marshall is the band. Where before it seemed like there were a bunch of parts to make a whole and keep a flow, Daughters is a group of actual nontraditional songs. There is direction and flow, instead of sheer sporadic movement. You can hear the twang in "Sweet Georgia Brown" and in a way, accessibly ride where "The First Supper" is heading, instead of just listening to unforgiving undertow. For an immediate picture of how far Daughters has come, the album's closing "The Unattractive, Portable Head" is a narrative that chimes, hand claps and chorally crescendos to the extent of being a nontraditional, classical structure of a piece.

Unfortunately, the band aren't going to break new ground across the musical landscape. Many bands don't set out to change the shape of everyone's influences. For Daughters, this time they changed their own face and created an album that I believe pushed themselves and made it just accessible enough for others to latch onto. Too bad it looks like the end, because this one is a sweet new beginning.

Track Listing1. The Virgin
2. The First Supper*
3. The Hit
4. The Theatre Goer
5. Our Queens (One is Man, Many is One)
6. The Dead Singer
7. Sweet Georgia Brown*
8. The Unattractive, Portable Head*

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeJesus Lizard's Shot; These Arms Are Snake's Tail Swallower and Dove; The Number 12 Looks Like You's Worse Than Alone

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:41 AM on 03/31/10
mister fresh
nightynightmedia.com
User Info.
cool. i've been meaning to check this out.
02:33 PM on 03/31/10
Alex1410
User Info.
I quite like it. I've not heard any earlier stuff though.
05:10 AM on 04/01/10
theartofsilence
Learn how to shut up
User Info.
I saw this band supporting Fall Of Troy a couple of years ago. They were one of the worst bands I've ever seen live, the songs were just a nonsensical mess and the singer wouldn't shut up in between songs.
Having said that I'm intrigued to hear this and see if they've improved.
05:28 AM on 04/01/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I quite like it. I've not heard any earlier stuff though.
first two albums are nothing like this, their first album, Canada Songs, is 11 minutes long haha
05:34 AM on 04/01/10
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
this album exceeded my expectations, pretty good stuff..
06:00 AM on 04/01/10
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
first two albums are nothing like this, their first album, Canada Songs, is 11 minutes long haha
I love Canada Songs. This is very good too though. Extremely different from anything they have done.
06:22 AM on 04/01/10
yellowhouse
there's a lot of beauty, sometimes
User Info.
Fucking cool album.
06:36 AM on 04/01/10
Sloth7
Kitton Mittons
User Info.
I saw this band supporting Fall Of Troy a couple of years ago. They were one of the worst bands I've ever seen live, the songs were just a nonsensical mess and the singer wouldn't shut up in between songs.
Same here. I never cared for this band before. Their music had potential, but always sounded disjointed and all over the place, and their singer seemed to act like a borderline mental patient on stage. But if they've improved and matured their sound on this new one, I'll definitely give it a listen.
08:27 AM on 04/01/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I used to dig Canada Songs but they lost me after that. Good review though.
08:46 AM on 04/01/10
seans seatbelt
www.seanplz.com
User Info.
The Hit is the best song of 2010 so far
09:49 AM on 04/01/10
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
I dig it.
10:17 AM on 04/01/10
atssawriiight!
fuck your mouth.
User Info.
i couldn't get into this at first, but now i listen to it more than option paralysis and diamond eyes. too good.
10:47 AM on 04/01/10
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
LOL
10:52 AM on 04/01/10
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I used to dig Canada Songs but they lost me after that. Good review though.

Check this one out, it rules. This comes from a fan of Canada Songs and someone who thought Hell Songs was stupid and pointless.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums