AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Cancer Bats - 04.06.10

Interviewed by: Deborah Remus (04/05/10)
I got to sit down with Liam Cormier from Cancer Bats when the band was touring across across Canada with Billy Talent, Against Me! and Alexisonfire to talk about the new record and plans for the future:

How is the Canadian Billy Talent tour treating you guys?

Itís good. We got added in late because Gallows had to drop off to take care of some band business and we were more than stoked to jump on. We were actually on tour with Billy Talent in Europe when we found out. Ben just came up to us one day and was like ĎDo you want to do Canada with us?í and I was like ĎYeah, that would be awesome!í Itís been great, I feel like all three of our bands get lumped in together anyway. Weíre like the baby band of Billy Talent and Alexis. Itís like a lot of their fans know about our band and have maybe heard the name already so weíre getting a good reaction every night. I think the fact that thereís so much Canada on this tour gets people excited too. Thereís so much great music in Canada and itís great to be a part of it.

Whatís it like playing arenas?

That European tour with Billy Talent was in arenas too, not hockey arenas but they were still massive so we kind of got used to it. Itís easier than you think kind of, because you canít really see that many people other than the 500 kids up front so itís less daunting than it seems.

Do you prefer playing them?

No, I mean I realize itís the only place they can go to accommodate that many people. I realize Billy Talent canít really play anywhere else because theyíre such a massive band so it makes sense. But for me, I always like playing small shows where we can connect with the kids. Iím not that fond of the barrier so itís different for me, but still cool because itís a different style of show. We like getting to use the massive PAs.

Iím guessing youíre going to come back and headline after the record comes out in April?

Yeah, we do want to come back and headline since weíve had so many good tours and all these cities are wicked. I canít wait to play for, I donít really want to say real fans because there are a few kids that are coming out just for us, which is amazingly flattering. But yeah, we will be back in the fall for a headlining tour and come to Winnipeg. Weíre trying to figure it out, but we are probably going to do a summer festival too. Either in July or August.

Moving onto your new record, I was reading some older interviews and learned recording is your least favourite part of being in a band.

Oh yeah, recordingís not that much fun. Iíll say that we did have fun doing this record and this was the first time I left the studio going ĎYeah, that was awesome!í But itís still not like being on tour where you get to meet so many cool people and travel. Recording is just like very focused on small details you sometimes donít really care about.

How would you compare this record to Hail Destroyer?

I would definitely say itís a step in the same direction. I feel like we really figured out who we wanted to be as a band with Hail Destroyer from Birthing the Giant. I think we did a lot of soul searching I guess in a way, so now that weíve figured out what we want to do, weíre like letís crush these ideas and really step it up. You know, really finish off the ideas we had with Hail Destroyer. I donít want to say itís going to be Hail Destroyer 2.5, but itís not going to be that much of a shocker. I think some kids picked the difference between Birthing the Giant and Hail and realized it wasnít the same band in some ways, but I feel like youíre going to hear a lot of Hail Destroyer, just a more accomplished sound with this one.

In what ways would you say itís different?

For me, lyrically I wanted to dive into more of the personal side. And really be specific and expose myself that way. I found with the songs I loved off of Hail Destroyer, like ďRegret,Ē I was dealing with really personal stuff and thatís when kids got the most out of it. They came up to me saying ĎI know exactly what youíre talking about. Or that really helped me through a really tough time in my life.í So I was like ĎYou know what? Iím just going to try and do that with every song that I can and not be vague.í Not with the idea that if itís general, people will still understand it. No, really specific and really honest and just go for it.

Yeah, I noticed that ďRaised RightĒ sounded fairly personal when I listened to it.

Yeah, thatís definitely about my family and stuff like that. Also right off the bat, I didnít want to scream about how important my mom is, you know what I mean? So we had to figure it out. I think the whole record in general for me vocally was like that. Like realizing that I had to ramp up the emotion, we really sat down and thought about that with this record.

You also used the same producers you did for Hail Destroyer.

We were all on the same page so it just naturally made sense. It ended up like that because we went back to the same studio and worked with the same guys so it meant that we were using Hail Destroyer as our benchmark in a way. So it was like everything that we do will outdo Hail Destroyer. Everything is going to be heavier, all the vocals will be better, the drums will be bigger.

The title Bears, Mayors, Scraps and Bones is all of your nicknames.

My big thing with this is that with Hail Destroyer, we basically wrote it as a three piece. But with this album, it was the first time we had the whole band kind of start from scratch. Now that Jayeís in the band for two years on bass, itís like we have this solid crew to do everything with now. It made it a lot easier, it made it a lot more fun and now I canít imagine without the four of us. This is like the final line-up. This is what our band sounds like and this is what we can do together working as a team so weíve kind of figured it out.

Which nickname is yours?

Scraps is mine. People call me Scrappy and have for a really long time because I used to be really, really broke and I would eat table scraps from peopleís plates and stuff, like leftovers. And Iíd joke ĎOh, Iíll scrap thatí and eat someoneís pizza crust because Iím hungry.

The record will be put out through Good Fight in the States.

Yeah, basically we got signed to Ferret originally and we found out all those dudes were essentially changing the name of the label. But it was awesome because we knew Carl from Good Fight and Ferret since he was originally in this band called Nora who we played shows with before. He was keeping an eye on us and then he heard the record and was really stoked and we kind of went from there. We were really excited too because we feel they get a lot of bands, like they put out the Maylene records, they put out Every Time I Die and the Bronx. It just feels like itís the right place for us.

Which leads me to ask how well you guys are doing in the States.

We just did a tour with Anti-Flag, which was fairly positive. We joke that we can draw like 11 kids in every city because thatís what it feels like. I mean, I feel like the rest of the world is more open to Cancer Bats than maybe Americans are, but who knows? The Good Fight guys are stoked and they kind of get the US better than we do so they probably have a better idea of whatís going on. I mean, Iím not really too worried either way. We have a lot of places, we love touring in Canada, we love touring in the UK. If America is stoked, then cool. But for me America is weird because they have so many bands, not being pessimistic, but Iím always like ĎWhy do they need one more?í You know, I donít want to stop going there, but who the fuck are we? They have so many good bands. For every genre of music, I can think of five amazing bands that are playing that style. Even like for Cancer Batsí style, they have Every Time I Die, Maylene, the Bronx. Thereís so much good stuff going on already that you donít have to look that far. Whereas in Canada there isnít nearly as many bands.

This reminds me that if we were in the States, we wouldnít be hanging outside a giant arena because Billy Talent arenít big down there either.

Exactly. Same with Alexisonfire. But I donít have anything wrong with the kids, weíve met so many amazing people in the States and we definitely have a good time when we go. I just think itís like a needle in a haystack, a needle in a stack of needles basically.

You recently shot a video for your ďSabotageĒ cover. What made you want to cover it in the first place?

Weíre all big Beastie Boys fans, we really love that band and weíve been into them for a long time. For us, the idea was just to have something to play live and be stoked on. So we started doing it live and it did so well, it kind of just snowballed from there. Then we thought we should record it and the kids found out and were really excited. They were talking about it at shows and then we decided to do the video to fill in the time between this new record. Something new to give kids to get excited about because weíve been touring on Hail Destroyer for two years already.

Did any of you get hurt on set?

Yeah, a lot of people got hurt. We were jumping around, I smacked Juice our merch guy who was dressed up like a jogger. Jay was chasing one of the cops and our friend Chris, he rolled his ankle real bad. Itís kind of all in the name of good fun, but we did have some brutalities on that video.

Any plans for another video?

Yeah, we actually just did a video for a song called ďDead Wrong.Ē Itís getting finished off as we speak and itís a little more serious. Itís just a live performance video but it looks awesome and weíre excited. It should be out sometime in April.

Advice for screaming?
Lots of practice. I mean, Iím 30 and Iíve been yelling in bands since I was 17. It does take time for your voice to thicken up and develop. My biggest recommendation is to drink lots of water and get lots of sleep because that will help your voice and its longevity. I would also say try and sing from your stomach or your chest, instead of your throat and your head. Thatís my warm up. Or my headstart.

If you could tour with a band thatís not in your scene, who would it be?

Tough call, we love a lot of indie rock bands. We always joke about touring with Black Mountain, Fleet Foxes or Bon Iver. Somebody thatís out of our realm and try to fit in. I donít think it will ever happen though. (Laughs)

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
03:59 AM on 04/06/10
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
i saw these guys at taste of chaos last year, and i pretty much was like the only guy getting in to their music... i love them a lot tho. i wish they were played more a round here
i sang in to scrappy s mic at the concert :)
08:36 AM on 04/06/10
visible_noise
User Info.
rad.
10:55 AM on 04/06/10
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
Seriously humble, passionate guys, and it really sounds like they understand the present state of the industry, especially as a Canadian band within the international scene
02:28 PM on 04/06/10
Sandie-Jenkins
Ignore the chiodos SN, this is old.
User Info.
I tripped over his mic cable and ate mega shit at a show with Gallows and This Is Hell. BEST SHOW EVER.
02:30 PM on 04/06/10
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Liam is 30? Thought he was 24 or something.
03:22 PM on 04/06/10
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
awesome stuff, love these guys..
04:00 PM on 04/06/10
VDH
User Info.

My big thing with this is that with Hail Destroyer, we basically wrote it as a three piece. But with this album, it was the first time we had the whole band kind of start from scratch. Now that Dave’s in the band for two years on bass, it’s like we have this solid crew to do everything with now. It made it a lot easier, it made it a lot more fun and now I can’t imagine without the four of us. This is like the final line-up. This is what our band sounds like and this is what we can do together working as a team so we’ve kind of figured it out.

Is that a misprint/misquote? The bassist's name is Jaye... don't think there's every been a 'Dave' in that band haha
05:16 PM on 04/06/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.

My big thing with this is that with Hail Destroyer, we basically wrote it as a three piece. But with this album, it was the first time we had the whole band kind of start from scratch. Now that Daveís in the band for two years on bass, itís like we have this solid crew to do everything with now. It made it a lot easier, it made it a lot more fun and now I canít imagine without the four of us. This is like the final line-up. This is what our band sounds like and this is what we can do together working as a team so weíve kind of figured it out.

Is that a misprint/misquote? The bassist's name is Jaye... don't think there's every been a 'Dave' in that band haha

Yes, yes it certainly is and it's fixed now. Liam and I did the interview out on the corner of Portage (one of the busiest streets in Winnipeg) and the traffic made it hard to hear at times... so he sounded like he said Dave when it was really Jaye. Not even CLOSE to a good excuse either, I REALLY should have double-checked. I feel really stupid. The rest is correct and if no one believes me, I'll send over the file and they can hear it. My apologies.
05:26 PM on 04/06/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Liam is 30? Thought he was 24 or something.

Same. But it's true, I didn't mess up on that thankfully.
11:39 PM on 04/06/10
ghdiv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ghd hair straighteners</a> are the popular gift set for both celerities and common
people because of the high quality and world famous brand. And now online shopping can make you save a lot--buy
cheap&quality ghd straighteners</a> sale 50%, Free Shipping ! NO Tax ! you will found
cheap ghd Iv Styler</a> for your need on ghdsaleshop.com
12:40 AM on 04/07/10
Zorlak
Crusher Destroyer
User Info.
Liam is such a cool dude, too bad their show in San Diego was canceled, I hope they come back soon. Cant wait for the new album, picking it up the day it comes out.
06:56 AM on 04/07/10
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
Solid interview, i love these guys and i think they will continue to get bigger especially in the US once the new album drops
04:41 PM on 04/12/10
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Brilliant interview.
Love these guys so much, and really looking forward to the new album!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests