Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: Pavement

Posted by: Jeremy Aaron (04/07/10)
With their recent 20th anniversary reunion and upcoming performance at next week's Coachella festival, what better time to direct the WN spotlight on Pavement, the '90s most brilliantly demented pop songsmiths? The problem with focusing on such an iconic band is, of course, saying something about them that already hasn't been said better somewhere else.

Pavement aren't my favorite band, but from a purely analytical standpoint, they probably should be. Maybe in time, they will be. See, Stephen Malkmus's deadpanned suburban ennui is perfect for those of us for whom the "real life" most people find ultimate meaning in simply doesn't hold much appeal. As I sit here jockeying my cubicle toward some destination as yet unknown, goofing off and not actually doing my real job (for which Pavement's oeuvre makes the perfect soundtrack), I wonder if the day will ever come when I won't care what albums are coming out next Tuesday and I'll cease to be enamored by the subtly humorous minutiae of everyday life, those trifles being replaced by the so-called "important" stuff everyone else seems to care about. Man, I hope not. Because while all my classmates from years past (who used to come to me for homework help) went on to much bigger and better things, I'm not bitter. I love that I don't give a fuck about much of anything. And I love Pavement, because more than any other band, they reassure me that that's somehow okay, that there's a legitimate life to be had in bleary-eyed slackerdom. Or even if you don't buy all that bullshit, their body of work is still pretty damn sweet. If you're still not on the bandwagon, start by checking out their new compilation Quarantine the Past immediately and watching some of the videos below.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 42
07:44 AM on 04/07/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
"Summer Babe" (live) (from Slanted and Enchanted)

"Gold Soundz" (from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)

"Range Life" (from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)

"Cut Your Hair" (from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)

"Shady Lane" (from Brighten the Corners)

"Stereo" (from Brighten the Corners)
07:50 AM on 04/07/10
jkretz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice write up. pavement rules.
07:54 AM on 04/07/10
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
I've listened to single songs and liked everything I've heard but never really checked out an album. What's a good starter.
07:57 AM on 04/07/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I've listened to single songs and liked everything I've heard but never really checked out an album. What's a good starter.
I rec'd the Quarantine the Past comp because I think it's a really good cross-section of what they do. For introductory albums, I think Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is their most accessible set of songs. With a few exceptions, though, I don't think it hurts to start from beginning with most bands either.
07:57 AM on 04/07/10
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain or Slanted and Enchanted are my two favorites, but they are all good, its hard to choose.

GREAT choice for a nostalgia tho. I don't expect as many responses as normal in these threads but was pleasantly surprised to see Pavement here. Kudos. If anything, maybe this thread will get some of the people on this site to check them out who might have never really had this band on their radar.
08:05 AM on 04/07/10
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
I rec'd the Quarantine the Past comp because I think it's a really good cross-section of what they do. For introductory albums, I think Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is their most accessible set of songs. With a few exceptions, though, I don't think it hurts to start from beginning with most bands either.
I'm just not a big comp guy. I'd much rather get a full album so it goes together.
08:13 AM on 04/07/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Pavement is amazing. That is all
08:14 AM on 04/07/10
ihaveblink
User Info.
Pavement is one of the greatest bands of the past 20 years. I don't say that very often. They aren't perfect, but it doesn't get much better than pavement. All 5 of their albums are solid and have enough pop and depth to keep you coming back again and again. Perfect for wise-ass slackers everywhere.
08:16 AM on 04/07/10
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Pavement is one of the greatest bands of the past 20 years. I don't say that very often. They aren't perfect, but it doesn't get much better than pavement. All 5 of their albums are solid and have enough pop and depth to keep you coming back again and again. Perfect for wise-ass slackers everywhere.
yep. And, Jeremy nailed it on the "real life" aspect.

Also, for anyone that digs Pavement, I highly recommend checking out The Dismemberment Plan if you aren't already a fan. Somewhat similar vibe even though the sound is unique. Another band that I absolutely love that has that "real life" feel.
08:26 AM on 04/07/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Pavement is amazing. Awesome write up Jeremy.
08:31 AM on 04/07/10
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
Great band, wish I was seeing them live.
08:34 AM on 04/07/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Pleasantly surprised to see them on here. Hopefully this'll get more people here into them. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain will always be a phenomenal album.
08:34 AM on 04/07/10
Manbotisdead
speaking hot fire
User Info.
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is damn near perfect.

Influenced at least 2/3rds of the bands I love today too.
09:05 AM on 04/07/10
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Seeing them in September. Can't wait.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music