AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Anarbor - The Words You Don't Swallow Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 3.75
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 59%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.9
Musicianship 7.15
Lyrics 7.05
Production 8.2
Creativity 6.55
Lasting Value 6.85
Reviewer Tilt 7.7
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Anarbor - The Words You Don't Swallow

Reviewed by: SingMeInsomnia (04/07/10)
Anarbor - The Words You Don't Swallow
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: April 20, 2010

I've dabbled in quite a few powerpop bands throughout the years. I've been fairly unimpressed by most of them. I had hoped this album would have blown me away, but I was sadly mistaken. When I was able to get past the album art of the mutant mouth-eye psychedelic acid vision, I found that I didn't hate the album, but it didn't make me piss my pants out of excitement.

"Contagious" sounds very similar to the past works of The Classic Crime, or Tickle Me Pink. "Drugstore Diet's" catchy poppy style reminds me of Every Avenue's latest work, whether this be a good or bad thing, I'm unsure. It definitely has single appeal. It's nothing extraordinary, yet slightly enjoyable. In other words, I wouldn't go out of my way to find it on my iPod, but I wouldn't skip it.

"Gypsy Woman" sounds like it could be on Hotspur's You Should Know Better by Now. The one thing that bothered me about this song is the attempt of a scream Slade does, because of the fact that it just sounded like an angry hoarse yell. "Mr. Bigshot" is one of my favorites on this album. Again, I wouldn't be surprised to find it on Capital Light's This Is An Outrage, or even an AAR song. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've heard it all before. This withholding, the lyrics are solid, as are the vocals and catchy factor.

"Carefree Highway" is slightly different from the rest of an album (finally). It's a nice beach song with a summery feel to it. The acoustic guitars are nicely incorporated, and it has a relaxed melody and good set of lyrics. Although it does sound like Holiday Parade (okay, I'll stop with the comparisons now). "I Do What I Do's" beginning got me excited, but after an exciting intro, the rest of the song pales in comparison. The Words You Don't Swallow ends with lackluster acoustic ballad "Useless." I feel like this song is not suitable for the acoustic feel at the beginning. It comes across as boring and repetitive.

To sum it up, The Words You Don't Swallow is nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to powerpop/rock music. Although there are some highs, this is one of the albums I just can't seem to get into. There isn't anything distinctive about them that set them apart. It seems like they're just playing to the hungry masses who feed on this kind of material, not caring if anything is unique. Needless to say, the songs are reasonably catchy, lyrics reasonably witty, and vocals reasonably great. I cannot guarantee if hardcore Anarbor fans will be disappointed or happy. I do know that as someone with an unbiased opinion on this band, this album did not make me jump out of my seat, nor did it make me cringe.

Recommended If You LikeCapital Lights; The Classic Crime; Hotspur; The All-American Rejects; Every Avenue; generic pop-rock bands

myspace.com/anarbor

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
06:25 AM on 04/09/10
Handraa
Bestfriend means I pull the trigger
User Info.
You've been busy.
08:28 AM on 04/10/10
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I feel that is still a pretty low rating. Although this band does fit right into that mainstream powerpop area, this band is definitely one of the best in the bunch. Yea the album isn't very creative but the vocals and instruments make this album extremely catchy and fun. If you like the Audition youll like Anarbor... this album is better than the Auditions newest release.
11:55 AM on 04/10/10
Augustrunsred
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like the ratings are pretty accurate. I would give creativity lower though.

Great thorough review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums