Password

07:37 PM on 04/19/10 
User Info.
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
Oregon
Female
Staff Member
i just finished the electronics section, it's in my AP blog.

Sweet thanks. I added it in.
posted: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1653002
Let me know if I need to make any changes.

Also, if you need help you can PM this user and invite him here: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthre...ost=6575 1142
(atticus18244fss)
10:02 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
Dallas, TX
Male - 29 Years Old
I can post whenever you are ready. Should Sarcasm collect everything and then send it to Chad by a specified date and Chad fills in what is missing and submits? Or does Chad watch Sarcasm's blog and sends him things to add and then he submits? How do you want to do this?
As I said, I'd be glad to help in whatever way I can. Are the section assignments all squared away at this point?

I still think it would be more efficient and effective to divide the workload by the sites watched rather than trying to have people cover specific sections. If everyone took specific feeds, they could place the news they found in the appropriate categories. Otherwise, everyone is going over the same news and doing far more work than they need to while also risking missing news because they think someone else will cover it in their section.

The problem with the categories is everything overlaps in the technical world. For instance, the redsn0w jailbreak news in the most recent round-up could fit in Apple (since it only applies to Apple products), Computer (since it's computer software to hack the iPhone/iPod Touch), or Miscellaneous.

EDIT: Here is a listing of all the feeds I used in compiling the round-up. For simplicity's sake, I told Google Reader to mark all articles over one week as read, so this is just the articles published on these sites within the past seven days:

bit-tech.net (37)
AppleInsider (47)
Ars Technica (106)
CNET News.com (211)
Download Squad (70)
Engadget (219)
Extremetech (14)
Gizmodo (235)
Hack In The Box (61)
[H]ardOCP News/Articles (129)
Lifehacker (125)
New Scientist - Tech (14)
Redmond Pie (34)
Slashdot (159)
X-bit labs (24)

Here is a possible way to divide the feeds:
-CNET
-Engadget
-Gizmodo
-Slashdot
-bit-tech, AppleInsider, Ars Technica
-Download Squad, Extremetech, Hack In The Box
-[H]ardOCP News/Articles and New Scientist - Tech
-Lifehacker, Redmond Pie, X-bit labs
10:12 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
Bloomington, IN
Female
since no one did anything for this past week but me and Frank, i think we decided to just split up the sections between the two of us. can be modified but he ended up doing all the sections last time but one since I didn't realize no on else had contributed.
10:14 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
CyberInferno
Dallas, TX
Male - 29 Years Old
since no one did anything for this past week but me and Frank, i think we decided to just split up the sections between the two of us. can be modified but he ended up doing all the sections last time but one since I didn't realize no on else had contributed.
Check out my post above (I've edited it about four times) and see if you think it makes sense (assuming the other volunteers are still game).

By splitting the work by feeds, the entire round-up doesn't get held up if one person doesn't submit, like it would if an entire section were not ready.
10:57 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
Bloomington, IN
Female
Check out my post above (I've edited it about four times) and see if you think it makes sense (assuming the other volunteers are still game).

By splitting the work by feeds, the entire round-up doesn't get held up if one person doesn't submit, like it would if an entire section were not ready.
I think there would be much MORE overlap if we divided it up by feeds, since a lot of places will post the same news. I get that a lot of stuff overlaps, but there would be much less overlap by category than by feed. I get we wouldn't worry about waiting for people to post their news. but seeing as no one is really contributing it's not really a valid argument.
11:05 AM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
CyberInferno
Dallas, TX
Male - 29 Years Old
I think there would be much MORE overlap if we divided it up by feeds, since a lot of places will post the same news. I get that a lot of stuff overlaps, but there would be much less overlap by category than by feed. I get we wouldn't worry about waiting for people to post their news. but seeing as no one is really contributing it's not really a valid argument.
I think there is more chance for overlap, but less chance of news getting missed. With one editor that compiles the individual submissions, finding that overlap shouldn't be too difficult. Dividing the feeds also cuts down on the work that each person has to do individually (which makes it more likely to be completed).

Of course, as you said, it's irrelevant if no one contributes anyway
12:05 PM on 04/22/10 
User Info.
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
Bloomington, IN
Female
I think there is more chance for overlap, but less chance of news getting missed. With one editor that compiles the individual submissions, finding that overlap shouldn't be too difficult. Dividing the feeds also cuts down on the work that each person has to do individually (which makes it more likely to be completed).

Of course, as you said, it's irrelevant if no one contributes anyway
i don't think the goal here is cover every single piece of news that comes out over the week. if people want that much news, they can go read their own RSS feeds or something.

also, it seems like there are only 3 people working on this now: me, you and Frank.
07:36 PM on 04/23/10 
User Info.
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
Shanghai/Ohio/Georgi...
Male
So how do you guys want to split the work for this week?
04:37 AM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
CyberInferno
Dallas, TX
Male - 29 Years Old
i don't think the goal here is cover every single piece of news that comes out over the week. if people want that much news, they can go read their own RSS feeds or something.

also, it seems like there are only 3 people working on this now: me, you and Frank.
That's true. I probably overcovered things in the past.
So how do you guys want to split the work for this week?
But as far as the work goes, I really think it's still easier for us (which does sound like three people at this point) to cover different feeds rather than all of us sift through the same feeds looking for specific stuff by category.

But if you guys would rather do it sectionally, we can do that too. I think doing it by section makes for less work in the end with compilation and by feed makes for less work with searching through news.
11:59 AM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
Bloomington, IN
Female
That's true. I probably overcovered things in the past.

But as far as the work goes, I really think it's still easier for us (which does sound like three people at this point) to cover different feeds rather than all of us sift through the same feeds looking for specific stuff by category.

But if you guys would rather do it sectionally, we can do that too. I think doing it by section makes for less work in the end with compilation and by feed makes for less work with searching through news.
well for this week let's just do by category since i've already started doing it like that...
12:02 PM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
CyberInferno
Dallas, TX
Male - 29 Years Old
well for this week let's just do by category since i've already started doing it like that...
That's fine. So who wants to take what?

EDIT: Just throwing something out there: I can take Tips/Tricks, Apple, and Computer if you two don't have any objections.
12:31 PM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
Bloomington, IN
Female
That's fine. So who wants to take what?

EDIT: Just throwing something out there: I can take Tips/Tricks, Apple, and Computer if you two don't have any objections.
fine with me. i'm gonna do electronics, internet, and google (new section im adding).
12:38 PM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
CyberInferno
Dallas, TX
Male - 29 Years Old
fine with me. i'm gonna do electronics, internet, and google (new section im adding).
Sounds good! Do you two want to have a discussion question? I did one each week that was related to news and made a poll for it on the Polls forum, and I think it was pretty effective as a means of getting more people to the round-up and also having a fun discussion on the side that lasts (in my experience) longer than the discussions in the round-ups themselves.
03:27 PM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
Bloomington, IN
Female
Sounds good! Do you two want to have a discussion question? I did one each week that was related to news and made a poll for it on the Polls forum, and I think it was pretty effective as a means of getting more people to the round-up and also having a fun discussion on the side that lasts (in my experience) longer than the discussions in the round-ups themselves.
yea sure! any suggestions for this week?
07:07 PM on 04/24/10 
User Info.
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
Shanghai/Ohio/Georgi...
Male
yea sure! any suggestions for this week?

Heh, sorry about my time zone difference.

A discussion would be awesome!
Just for reference:

Apple - Chad
Internet - Melissa
Google - Melissa
Electronics - Melissa
Mobile - Frank
Computer - Chad
Miscellaneous - Frank
Tips and Tricks - Chad

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News