AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Human Abstract, The - 04.10.10

Human Abstract, The - 04.10.10

Interviewed by
Human Abstract, The - 04.10.10Former From First to Last guitarist Travis Richter gave us his first interview since becoming the new vocalist of The Human Abstract.

It was recently announced that you are the new vocalist of The Human Abstract. How did that come to be?

The universe works in strange ways indeed! As I was parting ways with From First To Last, one of the guitarists, [Andrew] Tapley, called me - $25.00 call from Canada. [laughs] We had toured together in the past on Warped Tour and Take Action Tour, so we were already friends and spent some time together on the road when he gave me the official invitation to try out. I recorded vocals over one of their old songs, "Vela", and then they sent me a new song to write and record over for the second round of auditions. They were pumped on the vocals I recorded over their new song, so they called me up and formally asked me if I would be interested in flying out to LA to do some more demos. I promptly conceded, and on February 1st I flew to LA to begin writing and demoing full time.

A lot of people were surprised by the news. Were you worried about how fans would respond?

Nah, I've been through all this before multiple times. FFTL went through so many member changes in the band. Fans and music critics alike always seem to go to battle with each other every time they are told something has changed. It's only natural. All that matters is the hard work we put into writing the record and that we make sure we keep our heads screwed on straight and our egos as tamed as possible so the outcome is the best work we can bring to the table.

You've proven that you can scream in your prior projects, but will you do clean vocals as well?

Yes! Thereís actually a large amount of singing on the record. I haven't had an opportunity to showcase my singing voice in many years. I grew up in South Georgia attending southern Baptist church and singing in choir. It wasnít till I sewed my demonic roots with FFTL that I stopped singing. [laughs] I know my mom and every person out there that puts their hands over their ears when someone screams is going to be very happy when they hear some of these epic singing parts.

Was it difficult adapting your style to a different genre of music?

It was quite different with a hint of difficulty. This music is extremely technical both on timing and arrangement/melody. Mr. A.J. [Minette, guitarist] is in a league of his own, and Iím just thankful that somehow Iíve been able to keep up! [laughs] He is in the process of getting his Masters in music so he is gonna be a doctor! Doctor A.J.! You know a doctor that makes music is bringing it from a completely different level than pop punk with heavy parts in it. But I grew up loving metal and classical music, so in a sense he has really played a huge part in my decompression from FFTL.

Original guitarist A.J. Minette is returning to the band's writing process. Is he a full-time member, or will he just be writing?

A.J. is back in the band! We are stoked to have him writing and recording and, yes, if his college schedule provides, touring too! I've watched The Human Abstract change throughout the years and go through members, and looking at the differences in Midheaven and Nocturne - well, let's just say people will be in for a big surprise when they listen to the new album. I think he is delivering what a lot of people wished would come out of this band and still then even more!

What can we expect from the new material? When will it see the light of day?

We plan on entering the studio the beginning of June. The studio/producer choosing process was quite extensive, but we are finally aligned with the proper studio, team, producer, engineer to take this record to the next level. We arenít rushed because we know we need to just keep our heads low and work on our individual parts as musicians. We know when the music comes out it will completely speak for itself.

Do you have plans to tour once the record is complete?

Yeah, we have all spent our fair share of time out on the road touring, so needless to say touring is a huge goal of ours. Despite our desire to tour, we are remaining patient and just focusing on finishing the record. Sooner than later we will be playing shows and touring full time.

What exactly caused your departure from From First to Last? We never heard your side of the story.

I think me being busy doing outside stuff is what kick started all of this to happen. I didn't go to Australia because I was burnt out from wrapping up I Set My Friends on Fire and The Color of Violence in the studio. They got a fill-in guitar player for that tour, and when they came back from Australia I could tell that they had sex with the new guy while they were there, so to speak, and that my days in the band were numbered. I've also been insanely busy over the last year or so producing DubStep with the group ModifiedNoise. ModifiedNoise let me breathe again and let me feel passionate about creating art again! I still plan on producing in the studio and making DubStep with ModifiedNoise while I 100% fulfill my responsibilities as the new singer in The Human Abstract. You gotta grind if you wanna feed yourself and be a musician!

Were you involved in the writing process of Throne to the Wolves at all? Some are calling it From First to Last's best effort to date.

Yeah, absolutely. I played the exact same role that Iíve played in the band since it begun. I was always responsible for pre-production, demoing all the new songs, and writing with Matt Good. This record was like Heroine meets Dear Diary. I brought up a "back to roots" sound all the way back a couple years ago when we were touring for Self-Titled and the band wasn't happy with crowd reactions. I am a firm believer that music speaks for itself, and if you put out the right sound people will love you and support you and they wont care what the details or history are behind the band.

What is the fate of The Color of Violence? Will you continue to work with Derek Bloom?

I doubt it. I think he said he was taking his toys to his other friends' house to play, but it doesnít matter. I was a big part in writing the music, and I have been the vocalist on all the COV recordings. When the time is right, I'll release another COV record with some friends.

What was it like working with Wes Borland in From First to Last a few years back?

I love Wes! He is a big inspiration to me as an artist. His fire absolutely burns the hottest. Dude knows how to turn it on in the studio and on stage! He is the O.G. Molter!

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I feel really blessed that I've been able to start over as a musician with these incredible dudes that make up The Human Abstract. We are stepping up to the plate with a plan and a vision, and I can't wait to share the music with everyone!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
08:28 AM on 04/12/10
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This was an interesting interview. I am not a huge fan of FFTL, but I liked the way he tied up those ends with them.
08:28 AM on 04/12/10
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
Solid interview, and he seems like a chill guy who doesn't really feel remorseful towards the FFTL guys.
08:52 AM on 04/12/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Quote:
What was it like working with Wes Borland in From First to Last a few years back?

I love Wes! He is a big inspiration to me as an artist. His fire absolutely burns the hottest. Dude knows how to turn it on in the studio and on stage! He is the O.G. Molter!

Did Wes still wear those 8 ball contact lenses?
08:57 AM on 04/12/10
guitarman2189
User Info.
solid interview. I can't wait to listen to the new material with A.J.s magic gracing it. Very excited for this album.
09:39 AM on 04/12/10
Mikey18244
Mikecheck
User Info.
i love travis and always have im sure he is going to do great in his new band ill miss him not being in FFTL but as long as matt good and derek are there,FFTL will remain awesome. good luck trav
10:36 AM on 04/12/10
futurebreed
Photographer
User Info.
Photo credit for the show of Travis used as a thumbnail: www.future-breed.com from 10/21/2009 @ Harpers Ferry in Allston, MA
12:05 PM on 04/12/10
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
"They got a fill-in guitar player for that tour, and when they came back from Australia I could tell that they had sex with the new guy while they were there, so to speak, and that my days in the band were numbered"

someone is bitter. Sad news on COV ending. I loved that album.
12:08 PM on 04/12/10
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
i love travis and always have im sure he is going to do great in his new band ill miss him not being in FFTL but as long as matt good and derek are there,FFTL will remain awesome. good luck trav

and manning!!!
12:18 PM on 04/12/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
Quote:
I am a firm believer that music speaks for itself, and if you put out the right sound people will love you and support you and they wont care what the details or history are behind the band.
well, he certainly has a totally different philosophy of music than most legitimate musicians, who would probably make the music they want for their own reasons rather than catering to their fanbase.
12:32 PM on 04/12/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
well, he certainly has a totally different philosophy of music than most legitimate musicians, who would probably make the music they want for their own reasons rather than catering to their fanbase.
I don't think that's what he was trying to say.
01:06 PM on 04/12/10
sugarcoatedlies
CAAAAANDYYYY
User Info.
As a longtime fan of both THA and FFTL this is great :)
02:17 PM on 04/12/10
SexyJeff
Pfft. This Is Dildos
User Info.
What is the fate of The Color of Violence? Will you continue to work with Derek Bloom?

I doubt it. I think he said he was taking his toys to his other friends' house to play, but it doesn’t matter. I was a big part in writing the music, and I have been the vocalist on all the COV recordings. When the time is right, I'll release another COV record with some friends.

What a bummer. I love Derek's drumming, but it sounds like his departure from FFTL wasn't on good terms.
05:35 PM on 04/12/10
catherinexhimel
Liebe ist alles was wir brauchen.
User Info.
Hmm, this is very interesting. Travis is being more mature about this than I expected. That's good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos