AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Audrina - 04.12.10

Interviewed by
Audrina - 04.12.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Audrina

www.myspace.com/audrinaband

1. How did you get your band name?
Our band name came about because JT and Kevin, our guitarist and drummer, both thought Audrina Patridge from the hills was super hot, and it sounded like it could be a good band name. We thought we were being clever and that no one would make the connection, but most of the people that hear about us instantly realize where the name comes from. On the other hand we get people all across the spectrum from thinking our name is a memorial to some girl that has passed away, to thinking that our lead singer (Laura) is named Audrina.

2. How did this band get started?
JT and Kevin had played in a band together previously. JT met me (Kenny, lead guitar) in his music industries class at Cuyamaca College and asked if I wanted to try out for their band because he recognized me from my previous band. From there I brought bass player Kevin into the band because we had played in a couple of bands together. After that all that was left was to find the perfect singer. We had many try outs and a few temporary singers until we found Laura. Laura moved all the way across the country from North Carolina to try out for the band and we have been making beautiful music together ever since.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We all draw influence from different musical background. All of us are big fans of a day to remember, paramore, and mayday parade even if our music doesn't always sound like it. Laura also draws some influence from the country music she was brought up on. JT tends to lean more toward the avenged sevenfold style of music, whereas bass player Kevin draws influence from ska bands such as real big fish. I personally like to attribute my influence more along the lines of something corporate and senses fail. It makes for a very interesting mix.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Paramore because they are amazing and I think we could sound really well together. Something Corporate because they are the best band ever to have existed and they just recently got back together wooo hoo!!!! Brand new (if they were playing mostly songs off of the devil and God are raging inside me) because they have moments in their songs that move me like no one else. The rolling stones, because, come on, they are the rolling stones. There are far too many to list and hopefully we will get a chance to tour with a lot of them at some point in the future.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I can't speak for the rest of the band but I would definitely be a secretary bird. Google that thing. It is the most amazing looking creature you will ever see. Instead of flying around like a bird it runs around on the ground and stomps on snakes heads so it can eat them! That's one badass bird if you ask me. It also has some freaking sweet natural orange eyeliner action going on with its feathers.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because its only going to take a little bit of time out of your day and we could become your new favorite band. Picture your favorite band and the first time you heard them. Now stop to think what life would be like if you had passed them over and never listened to them. Don't make that mistake with us. Worst case scenario - you are out a couple minutes of your time and no worse off for the wear. Also just because we are freaking sweet musicians and our music is rad.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Again without speaking for the rest of the band I would choose "tigerbear". Its got a pretty rad intro written by yours truly which is a blast to play. I don't think it would be too difficult, but who can tell really? A lot of the songs on those games end up becoming much harder to play on the game then they are in real life. I think the most challenging parts of any of our songs for people to match would have to be the vocals because Laura can belt it like a champ.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We would give the typical thanks to our fans and our parents for encouraging us to continue our dream of making music our lives. We would also thank all the bands that inspired us to start playing and performing music in the first place.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
First off solja boy would have never existed. I would make some type of screening process for myspace music so that only people who really write music seriously could post there stuff and there wouldn't be a million and one idiots on there posting crap and pretending to be musicians. If it was possible I would find a way to convince people to continue buying physical CD's instead of downloading music because you lose the elegance of the CD artwork etc when you just download an mp3.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Haven't made it to an official tour. We were supposed to tour with our friends in counter launch this July but we had to call it off. We will be sure to get back to you.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I thought it meant absolutepunk.net? But seriously it's a place where people who actually care about the music scene (which is rare in America today) can get together and keep each other informed about what's going on. Everyone also gets to share their opinions about things and people actually listen to them which is rad.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play personally is "pure manhood" surprisingly. I pick up the bass on this one as opposed to playing lead guitar like I do on all the other songs. It gives me a chance to slow it down a little which is nice because I can really focus on my physical performance rather then making sure that I'm hitting all the riffs exactly the right way. I also get to sing a little at the end which is cool because even though I'm not the best singer in the world I wish I was and it gives me that moment of stardom in a way. I cherish it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
That's a toss up. Hawaii is amazing and I haven't been there in years so that's definitely up there. That being said if I had to choose one place to vacation right now it would be Australia. Never been there, always wanted to.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My really early childhood would be the song "my favorite things," from the sound of music. My mom use to sing me to sleep with it when I was a toddler and it has stuck with me. Growing up in middle school etc. its gotta be blink 182 for me. Very simple music, yet effective and still good today. I think I can speak for a lot of our generation when I say that their music got me through middle school and I will be listening to it until the day I die.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Hypnotism. I could head out to major record labels and get them all to sign us without even trying. We would definitely win that grammy that was mentioned earlier. Selling pre-sale tickets to shows would be a snap and we would always play to a sold out crowd. If I could hypnotize people into thinking whatever I wanted life would be a lot smoother. Even if you didn't like this answer you would now because I would be able to hypnotize you into thinking it was a great answer.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I don't feel we have made it to where I want us to get by any means. I feel like we are doing ok and I have high hopes for the future. With our upcoming debut ep it should open up a lot of possibilities. We have gotten a couple of offers from little indie labels but we are holding out. I will truly feel we have made it when we are on a major label and I don't have to worry about going back to my day job. If you want the answer to this question to be yes, you can help us make it. Just check out our music and head out to our shows when you get a chance.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That's a tough one. I feel like there is a lot but one thing is that I could have been a child actor. When I was in elementary school I had an audition in L.A. and the company that managed Mary Kate and Ashely Olsen when they were young wanted me to sign a contract with them. I opted not to do it because my parents didn't want me to miss out on school between having to drive to L.A. from San Diego all the time and the pressures of life as a child star. Hopefully I made the right choice and can make it in music anyway otherwise I will probably regret that decision for the rest of my life.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Has to be Christmas just like 90 percent of America. Free toys when you are a kid, delicious food, eggnog, what isn't to love?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Recently I've been playing that new myspace game "wild ones." If you haven't checked it out you should because believe me that s*** is addicting. Other then that I love writing bad poetry and lame acoustic songs. Pretty typical stuff I guess, movies, going to the beach, eating food.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I just discovered I can interview with absolutepunk.net like a mother. I'm pretty adept at almost any video game I try because I'm a dork. I'm also a world champion halo player.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests