AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Bowling For Soup - A Hangover You Don't... Album Cover

Bowling For Soup - A Hangover You Don't...

Reviewed by
Bowling For Soup - A Hangover You Don't Deserve
Record Label: FFROE / Jive / Zomba
Release Date: September 14, 2004
"I'm gonna need a forklift 'cause all this baggage weighs a ton" was the first Bowling for Soup line my ears were exposed to on the radio station a few years ago. As soon as I got home, I searched up this band and began to fall in like with their fun personality and carefree attitudes. They can almost be called the unofficial comedians of pop-punk, but that might be pushing it a just little too far.

"Almost" was one of the highlights on "A Hangover You Don't Deserve." The song is a huge 'what if', all leading back to the girl that he lost. However, he's not lamenting the loss of the girl in a boohoo-I-love-you-come-back-to-me way like most songs do. It's simply a ha-I've-moved-on-in-your-face type of way, which I found to be quite refreshing. "1985" makes a reference to as much 80s musicians as they could possibly fit into a 3 minute song. It is written as a narrative about an old-school mom hit with the realization that the great 80s were long over. With humorous lyrics among the lines of "When did Motley Crue become classic rock? /And when did Ozzy become an actor?" Bowling for Soup proves they can name-drop until the cows come home, even managing to take a jab at MTV.

Another radio single, "Ohio (Come Back to Texas)" tries to persuade his girl to come back to Texas. Texas 'exports' Willie Nelson, NASA, and even the Bush twins are referenced to, among other things. It's kind of unfortunate Bowling for Soup fell for the clichéd "group singing" where the crowd sings the chorus. I must say it kind of works in this case but it's been done so much that it just doesn't have the same effect anymore. An under-rated song on this album would be "Next Ex-Girlfriend." Starting off with the confession "I don’t wanna meet your dad/ don't wanna hump your sister/ don't wanna do it to your best friend either," singer Jaret Reddick lets the girl know that he just wants the bragging rights and convince his friends he's "not a homo."

My favorite song on this album would be the track, "Down for the Count." It's one huge fantastic metaphor/comparison. Starting from the top, a wrestling ring atmosphere is established. However, instead of the deep-voiced announcer, you get the squeaky-voiced Jaret trying to sound like the deep-voiced announcer. Clever/cheesy lines like "What was that sound? I just wish, the f-ing bell would ring" and "Let's get ready for verse number two!" are littered throughout the song. One of my favourite lines would be "Tell her that I'm sorry I can come back if I crawl / But I got bad knees, and I can't say that I'm sorry / 'Cept I'm sorry that I met you, now my guard's up and I'm fightin' dirty." The song ends with him deleting the voicemail of the girl breaking up with him.

Although "A Hangover You Don't Deserve" will not change the face of music forever, there are several highlights on it that are enjoyably witty. A downside is that the filler parts of the album will be disregarded as only a few tracks are good for repeated listens. Some may hate it but name-dropping and crude humor is what makes this band so special. At 17 tracks and packaged for radio play, "A Hangover You Don't Deserve" will be an extremely appealing album to some, while at the same time further pushing away adamant nay-sayers.

Recommended If You LikeEleventyseven; SR-71; Fountain of Wayne; MxPx; Gob

myspace.com/bowlingforsoup
This review is a user submitted review from SingMeInsomnia. You can see all of SingMeInsomnia's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
04:34 PM on 04/22/10
etwardjetward
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i remember these dudes.
10:00 PM on 04/22/10
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
Ah to be young again.
02:35 PM on 04/23/10
friskycurtain
Registered Member
User Info.
Definitely will be one of my all-time favorite albums. Two-Seater is probably my favorite song.
09:42 PM on 04/28/10
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Definitely will be one of my all-time favorite albums. Two-Seater is probably my favorite song.
I'm so very sorry.
08:40 AM on 04/29/10
friskycurtain
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm so very sorry.

I meant favorite song off the album...and fuck you.
03:31 AM on 05/05/10
hotdog207
User Info.
nice review! this was probably the best album of BFS
12:34 PM on 11/30/10
DPDurden
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good album. although my fave BFS is drunk enough to dance
10:55 AM on 10/05/12
untyled21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
1985 was originally written by a group known as SR 71, but they have no pages on here to credit them. I want to make a page for you guys so then you can hear the original version. Lyrics differ as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16aLuM9kMKA

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos