Password

Album Review

Parkway Drive - Horizons Album Cover

Parkway Drive - Horizons

Reviewed by
Parkway Drive - Horizons
Record Label: Resist / Epitaph
Release Date: October 6, 2007
Adam Dutkiewicz has become the go-to guy for bands that need either a new direction, or need that helping step in to stardom. And, despite being a member of one of my least favorite Metal bands, (Killswitch Engage) his production here and on Parkway Drive's last album, "Killing with a Smile," is nothing short of bad-ass. The no-BS Australian metalcore five-piece haven't really changed their style or sound since "KWAS" and that's fine with me.

"The Sirens' Song" shows what these guys are about with killer metal guitar riffs from Jeff Ling and Luke Kilpatrick who have nearly perfected their style and work well off each other. The song's breakdown will make you want to mosh right in your living room, despite the looks of any in your household. "Feed Them to the Pigs" continues the chaos with a breakdown no more than 30 seconds in, including stop-your-heart drumming from drum madhouse Ben Gordon. As a drummer myself, it's hard not to be envious of his speedy style, while still maintaining wonderful rhythm.

The band slows things down with "Carrion" (well, slow for them anyways) and from there, the album really takes off. Winston McCall shows off his screaming ability in "Boneyards," the album's best song, giving us bone-crunching deep growls followed by high-pitched screams that will make your ears bleed. The last minute of the song is pure intensity and McCall shows us his silly writing style spouting lyrics like "There's blood in the water." At this, I was laughing and pumped up all at once.

But overlook the lyrics on this one. This is not a lyrical album. This is pure anger and insanity. Metal heads, this is certainly your album. Everyone else who's not looking for the next mosh pit band, you might want to skip this one.

Recommended If You Likeheart-stopping metal

myspace.com/parkwaydrive
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
11:39 PM on 04/20/10
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I've never been a fan, but glad an Aussie band is doing so well. "There's blood in the water" is hardly a silly or funny lyric, at least when written on its own...
06:21 AM on 04/21/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Yeah, you're right, should have added more to that to explain why it's funny. The video for the song is pretty ridiculous though.
02:35 AM on 04/22/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
There is nothing funny about that line.

Thankyou for reviewing Amity and Parkway but you really need to go into more depth. Also, to me the paragraphs just seem short and the sentences don't really flow.
06:35 AM on 04/22/10
Corey Hoffy
User Info.
Ah, well, I'll work on that. Forgive me, but I'm not really used to reviewing music. I mostly review films, so the switch is kind of difficult. But I will work on all of that. Thanks for the honest and fair criticism.
06:14 AM on 04/23/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
I've recently been listening to alot of parkway, proud to say there an 'aussie band', not often we get to say that.
The review isnt bad i just think this album deserves a bit longer a review. But hey if you've seen mine there not really any longr. Keep it up!
09:59 AM on 04/23/10
Schmidty Says
Bitch Better Have My Honey!
User Info.
Couldn't get in to this album, but I loved Killing With A Smile. Maybe I'll give this another try.
06:37 PM on 04/26/10
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Amazing album, and their third should be even better
07:58 PM on 04/26/10
Corey Hoffy
User Info.
Amazing album, and their third should be even better
I'm definitely looking forward to their third album. When is that supposed to come out again?
09:33 PM on 04/26/10
caseyoharaa
From Russia With Love Ehh....
User Info.
great album
09:50 PM on 04/26/10
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
I'm definitely looking forward to their third album. When is that supposed to come out again?

They said this June or July, they finished recording about a week ago
06:43 PM on 05/23/10
ship of beers
User Info.
The best Aussie band out there by far
10:26 AM on 07/20/10
StayBrutal19
User Info.
This album is truly amazing, i would say its PWD's best album to date
07:39 AM on 05/27/11
ParkwayOwns
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
An absolutely flawless sophomore effort. It sticks to the book, but pulls off unlike any other.
07:40 AM on 05/27/11
ParkwayOwns
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is truly amazing, i would say its PWD's best album to date
As far as production goes, sure. Overall song wise, Killing With a Smile is still better in my opinion

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos