Password

Album Review

Write This Down - Write This Down Album Cover

Write This Down - Write This Down

Reviewed by
Write This Down - Write This Down
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: April 20, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Write This Down released their self-titled debut album with Tooth & Nail records, a label that fits their melodic heavy sound and theme of faith and hopefulness perfectly. Write This Down have used this record to experiment with various aspects of their genre, making each song a little bit different than the last one.

“Alarm the Alarm” kicks off with singer Johnny Collier chanting “if I’m the first to go then make it quick/we’re so young.” This track is incredibly catchy and one of the most melodic tracks of the record, yet shows that Collier has an almost split personality and can switch from melodious singing to heavy screaming in an instant. “Despite Your Valour” kicks off with Nate Rockwell’s guitar play and Chad Nichols’ quick drumming; the band switch from harmonious to heavy and back again throughout the track. While the first two tracks have been on the more melodic side, “Renegade” has Write This Down at their heaviest, a track full of Collier’s swift screams. The track features a favorite line: “forgiveness means forgiveness; you know I won’t forget this one” before Collier screams his lungs out. The track is full of ardor and force, a definite standout track on Write This Down.

“Handgrenades” has a more country rock feel to it making it a track different than anything thus far on the record, showing that Write This Down are willing to be diverse and experiment with their sound. “Center of Attention” on the other hand is the poppiest, most upbeat song on the record featuring an incredibly catchy chorus full of hope that forces the listener to sing along. At times it even seems that Collier is channeling Jack’s Mannequin-era Andrew McMahon, but he does so successfully. “Citadel” is a slow paced, soft acoustic track featuring pleasing piano play that changes the sound of Write This Down completely. As the guitars kick in towards the end of the track, “Citadel” becomes full of pure vehemence, one of the most passionate songs on the record.

“Redemption” is another heavier track while “We Shot the Moon” is the fastest song on Write This Down and never slows its rapidity. Write This Down keep the intensity going throughout next track “Kings and Councilors” finally slowing down on the closer “Heaven and Hell.” The only downside to “Heaven and Hell” is that it doesn’t really fit, coming after three of the heaviest songs on the record, “Heaven” is the slowest, most stripped down track on Write This Down. On another note, this closer does show that Write This Down are capable of writing ballads and slower songs as well as furious fast-paced songs, and although this is an incredibly bold claim, this track is almost reminiscent of Taking Back Sunday’s “New American Classic.” “Heaven and Hell” ends the album on a quiet, soft note, which is slightly odd due to the overall heaviness of the album, and although it is a beautiful track, it’s the only flaw of the record due to this sudden change.

With their debut record, Write This Down have figured out their sound, realizing that they can still experiment throughout their genre, making each song different, and still be the same band. Write This Down is an incredibly strong debut full of true emotion and passion, demonstrating that these guys made a great decision signing to Tooth & Nail alongside bands such as Emery, The Classic Crime, and Underoath. Write This Down definitely have their head in the right direction for themselves and with this being only their debut, the future seems to hold great things for them.

Listen To"Alarm the Alarm"; "Renegade"; "Center of Attention"; "Citadel"; "Redemption"

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
01. Alarm the Alarm
02. Despite Your Valour
03. Renegade
04. Handgrenades
05. I Never Said I Was Through With You
06. Center of Attention
07. Citadel
08. Redemption
09. We Shot the Moon
10. Kings and Councils
11. Heaven and Hell

Write This Down is:
Johnny Collier - Vocals
Nate Rockwell - Guitar
Chad Nichols - Drums

Recommended If You LikeOur Last Night; Emery; Ivoryline; Underoath’s They’re Only Chasing Safety; Therefore I Am's The Sound of Human Lives; Taking Back Sunday

myspace.com/writethisdown

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
06:05 PM on 04/21/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Pretty informative. I heard a few of their songs from their MySpace and I think they're okay. But Jack's Mannequin in the RIYL?
07:25 PM on 04/21/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Pretty informative. I heard a few of their songs from their MySpace and I think they're okay. But Jack's Mannequin in the RIYL?
yeah, I'm changing that, for some reason that one song made me of them, but that's definitely not very accurate
08:24 PM on 04/25/10
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
The cover art looks like something brokencyde would do.
Good release and review though.
04:14 AM on 04/26/10
Stearman77
User Info.
Decent album but i do sense alot of emery tactics in play here, it's like listening to emery with diff vocals, not a bad thing just different.Despite your valor is such a dynamic sounding sound i love it.
08:32 PM on 04/26/10
caseyoharaa
From Russia With Love Ehh....
User Info.
good review. solid album
08:18 PM on 08/09/10
agl
User Info.
I just got the album, and i must say i love it. On first listen months ago it seemed kind of all over the place, but there really are solid tracks. If you're a fan of Emery, i would absolutely recommend this album, songs like "Despite Your Valor" really remind me of them.
02:58 AM on 08/30/10
cosplay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Lingerie Store,The lingerie and nightwear SALE at Style Lingerie. All lingerie sale garments marked 30% to 70% off. Sexy lingerie, ladies underwear and designer nightwear lingeri shop Bridal lingerie sexy lingerie Lingerie, sleepwear and intimate apparel is our specialty, ranging from sexy lingerie to bridal lingerie, including corset, bras, thongs and stockings. lingerie sale canon thermos travel mug,canon lens 24-105 mug,canon lens 70-200 mug mugs shop Canno Lens Mug Canno Lens Coffee Mug Nikon Lens Coffee Mug Lens Coffee Mug Canno Lens Coffee Mug, Ceramic Mugs,Nikon Lens mugs,canon thermos travel.Best Discount Mugs provider.
02:03 AM on 09/26/10
macabreblue
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I found them YEARS ago. 2006 or 2007. I've got an old ep of theirs that has Kings and Councilors on it. I always thought it would've been cool if they got discovered. Finally glad they did.
11:33 PM on 09/02/11
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
These guys are awesome. Just found them out
02:58 AM on 09/16/12
Iniffense
User Info.
11:25 PM on 10/28/12
byens
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE