AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hoods - Pit Beast Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Hoods - Pit Beast

Reviewed by: James RE Hughey (04/21/10)
Hoods - Pit Beast
Record Label: I Scream Records
Release Date: June 9, 2009

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” I have heard that probably a million times and probably will many more. I do not know where it started and I do not care. The statement is often true and I think Mr. Mike Hood must agree because he fronts a band does not seem to want to fix anything at all in Hoods, and that is probably because in their long standing career nothing seems to be broken.

15 years is a long time to bang out fast beats and breakdowns while screaming your head off. Many people would probably find themselves growing and evolving their sound over time. Many musicians and fans of music would agree that is what one may call musical maturation. Hoods is now on a 3rd label, I Scream Records with their 5th album Pit Beast and it appears they reached full maturation on album 1. This is hardcore - unapologetically in your face, muscle mound, scream and spit, eat emo kids for breakfast, unto death we mosh HARDCORE. If that excites the listeners good and if it does not then the whole thing lasts under 30 minutes so just have some fun okay.

The title track starts off with a long intro of guitar tone that builds as the drums come in. It is like riding up the rollercoaster hearing the grind on the track as you get higher and higher until you reach top and sit there waiting as the adrenaline floods your body. 58 seconds later you think you may drown in it and CLICK you are off, or in this case Mike Hood finally screams and you fist pump into mosh oblivion with all the pieces of what the album consists of wrapped into a time of 3:28. Things continue in hardcore basics; breakdown, scream along, fast pace fashion while Mr. Hood let’s you know just who he is and where he stands with tracks like “Punk’s Dead – Emo Kids Next” and lyrics ‘I want a circle pit I want a circle pit MOSH MOSH MOSH MOSH!’ on “Nunchuck” (not going to find deep and emotional heart lyrics here). “Grizzly” and “Betrayal” give a thick meat to the middle of the album with long drawn breakdowns amping you up to explode on the following. Opening with a great guitar riff that forces you to move “Let’s Have Fun” could have no lyrics at all and the music itself would demand the same title as it most definitely does explode with energy. Groove on through tracks of similar flare and then “Book of Hell” rips through you like the big loop that adds a cork screw twist. That ends the originals as Hoods brings you to jolting halt paying homage to their peers covering Agnostic Front’s “Friend or Foe”.

I love this album. This album is about as rudimentary in its musical depth and lyrical content as it can get, but I love this album. I say that because I love going to good hardcore shows and Pit Beast is a live Hoods show shot out the speakers. The band is not opening new doors or branching out to the mainstream, they are not evolving to more sing a longs and clean vocals, and they most definitely are not finding emo love. Mike and company are sticking to their guns and doing the same thing again and again. I cannot rank this album up in the stars because frankly it is another of the same old thing, but looking at the album for what it is I can say Pit Beast really is a gem of hardcore. Any fan that claims hardcore is either go to love this album, or find out they are not as true as they thought.

Recommended If You Likehardcore; Hoods discography; CDC; Death Before Dishonor; Terror; breaking faces; circle pits

myspace.com/sactohoods

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
09:54 AM on 04/23/10
runningfree1
User Info.
Never seen Hoods, wish they would tour the midwest sometime.
Good review, but I think that a 75% might be a tad high.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests