Password

Album Review
Halifax - Align Album Cover

Halifax - Align

Reviewed by
Halifax - Align
Record Label: Rocket Science Ventures
Release Date: April 4, 2010
I don't think it would be to harsh if I was to say that Halifax aren't exactly everyone's favorite band, so when they lost their lead singer you may have thought 'that sucks ... ah well' and wouldn't have lost much sleep over it. Just like you and I, they didn't let it bother them too much, they quickly and quietly moved on. And so, up stepped Chris Brandt to add "Vocals" to his guitar duties. Halifax would be back making music before no time.

Their latest effort, a 6 track EP entitled Align has been released on Rocket Science Ventures, that's right, no more Drive Thru Records for Halifax. After listening to the the ABSOLUTExclusive of 'Tonight' on their profile not too long ago I was surprised at how much they still sounded (Vocally) like the Halifax I remember! To be perfectly honest, if I didn't already know they'd had a line up change, it probably wouldn't have even crossed my mind that they had done a switcheroo' on lead vocals! I'm sure that will seem like a huge exaggeration to some however. (Though, after a few listens to Align, then a short revisit to A Writers Reference, I realize my above statement isn't quite as close to the truth as I originally thought.)

On the opening track (No Saturation) Brandt sings in a way that certainly makes me believe I'm listening to Halifax, this is what I was hoping for, I tend to underestimate how much I actually like this band. From start to finish listening to Align I was a little overwhelmed by how suited Brandt's voice is for this band. No different to what Hit the Lights achieved when they were put in the similar situation, with comparable outcomes. 'Tonight' is certainly the strongest offering on Align, though Amsterdam also deserves a mention for its more than memorable intro and a chorus that will also leave its mark on you. The remaining tracks don't scream out to be noticed, each one though, is not without certain "Halifax traits"; crunching riffs, vocals efforts that make you want to shout along to the lyrics, and as I've mentioned, intro's that get your attention right from the off.

Sure, you're not going to be blown away by this effort, Halifax are giving you what you may have come to expect from them. If you used to enjoy listening to Halifax a few years ago, you still will now.

Track Listing01. No Saturation
02. Tonight
03. Breathe
04. Amsterdam
05. Snakeslide
06. Remember We're Alive

Recommended If You LikeAction Item; A Kidnap in Colour; Halifax

myspace.com/halifax
This review is a user submitted review from ind1ekid. You can see all of ind1ekid's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:06 PM on 04/21/10
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
I always figured it was the frontman's personality that turned away some people, so maybe this'll be a step in the right direction (if they can regain whatever foothold they once had in the scene)
10:34 PM on 04/21/10
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
good review. listened to a couple tracks, and would NEVER have known there was a switch on vocals. thanks for pointing that out. but yes, they do sound like the good ol' Halifax from AWR. interesting EP, sounds a little heavier than i'm used to with them. but either way... interesting. maybe it'll grow on me.
11:29 PM on 04/21/10
ind1ekid
ambulance chaser
User Info.
Thanks, this was the first review I've done. I've always enjoyed Halifax live, be nice get the chance to see them again sometime.
09:37 AM on 04/22/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I always figured it was the frontman's personality that turned away some people, so maybe this'll be a step in the right direction (if they can regain whatever foothold they once had in the scene)
Hmmm, i don't know. I met the singer at a show about five or six years ago when they just got signed to Drive-Thru, and he was a really nice guy. Unless he changed over the years? Anyway, on that note, A Writer's Reference is an outstanding EP.
03:30 PM on 04/22/10
etwardjetward
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cool.
04:10 PM on 04/22/10
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
Hmmm, i don't know. I met the singer at a show about five or six years ago when they just got signed to Drive-Thru, and he was a really nice guy. Unless he changed over the years? Anyway, on that note, A Writer's Reference is an outstanding EP.
Don't get me wrong, I loved A Writer's Reference, and I'll admit I never met the guy. But on two different occassions I saw them live and he got mad and complained about the audience reception, I always heard he had a reputation for that...so I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but I think that stage attitude may have rubbed some people the wrong way
07:46 AM on 04/25/10
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Chris Brandt has always done vocals in Halifax.
09:03 AM on 04/25/10
Stavie Steelo
User Info.
Recommended if you Like Halifax you will like Halifax?
10:33 AM on 04/25/10
ind1ekid
ambulance chaser
User Info.
Chris Brandt has always done vocals in Halifax.
Not denying that, Mike was always the lead singer though.

Recommended if you Like Halifax you will like Halifax?
Yup, pretty simple concept really. If you like Halifax, then you're probably going to like this EP.
12:24 PM on 04/25/10
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Not denying that, Mike was always the lead singer though.

Ah cool. I have seen people making comments to that effect though, and it does get annoying.
11:01 AM on 04/28/10
benbjork
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Tonight" reminds me of The Classic Crime a bit.
10:23 PM on 05/12/10
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
im digging the ep a lot. halifax havn't lost a step. glad they're back to touring, hopefully a label picks them up soon
03:20 PM on 06/15/13
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
You seem to only know "A Writer's Reference" but "Inevitability.." was a huge step. It's imperative that you also draw from that album as well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos