|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
It's taken from a small line in James Joyce's novel, Finnegan's Wake
2. How did this band get started?
Moved to Austin in 2005 to escape Hurricane Rita
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The dB's, Big Star/Alex Chilton, The Feelies, The Mice/Bill Fox, The Replacements/Paul Westerberg, Nick Lowe, The Nerves/Breakways/Plimsouls, Jim Dickinson et al
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3. We opened for them in Austin and enjoyed it.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
The Black-bellied Whistling Duck. It's resident to Texas, it's noisy, it's monogomous and is strange in appearance compared to other ducks. I think this is a fair explanation that we can apply to the type of rock music we play.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
It's sincere rock n' roll
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I have never played said game.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The link between label and management. It seems to me that you can't have a label without good management and you can't have management without a label. A bit like being in the screen actors guild, you can't be in the SAG without being in a movie and you can't be in a movie without being in the SAG.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Driving behind a hurricane to get to our Daytrotter session 2 days early. Getting to Rock Island, IL and the power is out all over the city. Sometimes you gotta do what you have to...to get the hell out of Indiana.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A credible and fair source of music criticism
12. What is your favorite song to play?
We are enjoying playing live more and more. A rock show is one of the last places in the world where you are truly free. Anything has the potential to happen if the band and audience are willing to let themselves be moved.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Charlie Brown Books
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
We are getting closer to the artistic statement we'd like to make. I think that's as close as 'making it' as we'll get. Peter Case spoke in his blog recently about how Tom Petty was the last of the great rock hitmakers. I think that is true. The music industry is different now and we live in the time where 'singles' don't exist anymore. At the risk of sounding hippie, 'making it' is a state of mind.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I like house shoes.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Read, mainly contemporary American short fiction.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I know far too much about the rock genre: Power Pop.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first.
More From This Author