AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

ManRock - 04.21.10

Interviewed by
ManRock - 04.21.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

ManRock

www.Manrockyourface.com
www.Myspace.com/portlandmanrock
www.Facebook.com/pages/Man-Rock/40741417337
www.Amazon.com/ManRock/dp/B0032KU456
itunes.apple.com/us/artist/manrock/id346916697

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, we were all just sitting around a good ol fashioned BBQ one night, drinking some cheap beer and cooking up some meat (or some sort of meat substitute) when a buddy asked, “so, what do you guys sound like?” While trying to craft a response, somebody just said, we sound like man rock. We all laughed, but it wasn’t until weeks later that we decided on ManRock for our band name.

2. How did this band get started?
Casey (drums) and Mark (guitar) and Logan (former guitar player) have been playing in bands together for over a decade and a lot of the time played with bands that Brett (vocals) was in. Logan, Casey, Brett and Mark started writing some songs together here in Portland during the summer of ’08. It was realized pretty quick that we needed a bass player. Luckily we found Ben (bass) shortly thereafter via, of all things, a craigslist ad. There’s a ton of weirdos on craigslist and we’re stoked that Ben isn’t one of them. He’s just a stand up dude that loves metal and happens to manage this entire thing we call ManRock. He rules. Logan decided to leave the band at the end of ’08 and was replaced by longtime hometown friend, Sam Boggess (guitar). Sam has added an entirely new aspect to the band. His guitar playing is spot on and he continues to progress and learn at astronomical rates. This is ManRock and we couldn’t be happier with the current lineup.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Shit. This question is always weird. Depends on who you ask. Collectively I’d say The Allman Brothers, Down, CCR, Pantera, Red Fang, Kiss (that’s for you Ben, you sick, sick, man), Danzig, Norma Jean, Baroness and just anything that’s heavy, groovy, riffy, loudy. Individually, we all have our own tastes. For instance, Casey was trained in jazz so he listens to a lot of Buddy Rich and other kick ass jazz drummers. We all kind of draw inspiration from all over the board.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Rick Ross. He’s just the bossiest dude around. Red Fang. Those guys are a local Portland based band and they seriously kick ass. They’re bearded, beer drinking mountain men and we get along with those types of people great. If you haven’t heard of them, look ‘em up immediately! Broadway Calls. These guys have been buddies of ours for years, even when Josh and Ty were playing in Countdown to Life, so, that’d be a blast. Even though we’re worlds apart musically, it’d still be fun to be on the road with more friends. Pantera. No description needed. Botch. Gosh, I saw these guys a few times when I was just a teenager and I’ll never forget how entertaining they were to watch (similar stage antics to Dillinger Escape Plan). It’d be awesome to tour with a band of dudes that just went mental every night. Again, this probably changes with who you ask. I (Mark) just think the above mentioned bands would be awesome. Strictly musically speaking, I think we would pair nicely with Baroness, Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Polar Bear Club, Down, etc.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
ManRock? We’d be a bearsharktopus. Because the picture of the thing is insane. Google it.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because ManRock will make you feel good. It’s like chicken noodle soup for the sick and tired rock ‘n’ roll connoisseur.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Hm. "Sweet-talker". It would be challenging to me, but not that 12 year old kid down the street.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Ben. He’s the backbone of this group. Rian Lewis for putting up with us in the studio while recording and producing this record and Kris Crummet for mastering our album. But mainly, just our entire group of fans and friends that give us a reason to continue writing and performing.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
ManRock would be signed and touring and making six figures. Oh yeah. That’d make the entire industry so much better. No, but seriously, I think the industry is kind of on the right track. It’s a lot easier for smaller bands to get out there and be heard right now thanks to organizations like myspace, facebook, tunecore, etc etc. It’s nice to go to itunes and amazon and see our album there next to lots of other bands that we look up to. In years past, to get that kind of exposure you’d have to be on a label. So, again, if I could change anything about it, I’d just make ManRock huge.

10. Memorable tour experience?
This one time, when we were flying through the bible belt in the bus, Sam and Casey started a pillow fight and the feathers went all over the place and Sam was laughing so hard that he snorted one of the feathers up his nose. That’s a lie. We’ve never been on “tour”. But are trying to do the West Coast this summer. Hit us up if you want to book us a show! Portlandmanrock@gmail.com

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A place to come get good news about the industry and hopefully hear of new bands that kick ass.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
All of ‘em except " No Tocar Las Bailarinas". It’s a better song to just sit and listen to.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
It varies for all of us I’m sure.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The oldies station and gangster rap.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To breathe underwater so we could take out all the bearsharktopuses.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I don’t even know what “making it” means. If it means that you’re making a bunch of dough touring around the world, then, no. If it means that you’re having a riot with a bunch of your friends playing music and writing fun tunes, then hell yeah!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Ben will sometimes come to practice dressed head to toe as Gene Simmons.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
All of ‘em.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Eat. Drink beer. Sing silly songs.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Brett has four thumbs so he can make all kinds of intricate origami in just seconds flat. It’s great at the merch table.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests