AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Octaves - Greener Pastures Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.88
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Octaves - Greener Pastures

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (04/25/10)
OctavesGreener Pastures
Record Label: Hotfoot Records
Release Date: April 24, 2010

Octaves are a band very much like that of The Chariot and The Dillinger Escape Plan. Using piercing screams and metal guitars and drums to drive their music, Octaves have fashioned their debut album, Greener Pastures. This album is eight tracks of utmost fury, with singer Phil Fosler commanding each track with full force.

“Fix the Fern Back” kicks off with pure fury as Fosler screams “Flea from the forest!” at the top of his lungs. The track is incredibly intense and fully driven by Fosler’s commanding voice and Wes Young’s exceptional guitar playing. Guest vocalist Allyson Little makes the track incredibly haunting and dark with her powerful voice capabilities. Follow up “Be Angry at the Sun for Setting on a Set of Sons” starts very slow with meek guitar, very reminiscent of The Chariot, before picking up its pace, becoming another powerful heavy number.

“I've Got Boxes Full of Pepe!” slows down Greener Pastures again before chanting kicks into Fosler screaming “The walls are closing in” with complete strength. His vocals definitely stand out most on this track, as his screams never falter. “Anaconda Squeeze” is an instrumental track that shows off drummer Shane Walsh, leading perfectly into “I Am He Who is Called I Am,” a track similar to the previous heavier tracks, but featuring some of the only clean vocals on the album. “I'm Just Going Down to the Corner to get a Pack of Cigarettes” features the guest vocals of Kris Fulton from Age Sixteen, which are clearly defined and add more to the track than previous tracks, for they play off with Fosler’s screams pleasingly.

Final track “Absent Kids Count” is an excellent closer to the album, featuring another guest vocalist, Kyle Durfey of Pianos Become the Teeth. Though “Absent” has pretty cliché, not so great lyrics, Durfey adds a new feel to the song, making up for the lyrics and the track stands out as a solid end to Greener Pastures.

Throughout the album, influences of The Chariot are without a doubt apparent, as well as TDEP and The Bled. However, Octaves know what their sound is and Fosler screams throughout the entire record, proving that they fit in just fine in the genre. Octaves could nonetheless use some lyric work, but other than that Greener Pastures is an overall solid start for them; in the future, Octaves could easily make a great name for themselves in the genre.

Recommended If You LikeThe Dillinger Escape Plan’s Ire Works; The Chariot’s Wars and Rumors of Wars; Between the Buried and Me; The Bled

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Fix the Fern Back
2. Be Angry at the Sun for Setting on a Set of Sons
3. I've Got Boxes Full of Pepe!
4. Anaconda Squeeze
5. I Am He Who is Called I Am
6. I'm Just Going Down to the Corner to get a Pack of Cigarettes
7. Schmohawk
8. Absent Kids Count

Octaves are:
Phil Fosler – Vocals
Tony Savero – Bass / Vocals
Wes Young – Guitar
Shane Walsh – Drums
Bob Elder – Guitar / Vocals

myspace.com/octaves

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:16 PM on 04/30/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I am really jealous you got a copy of Greener Pastures. I wanted to write a review on it and listened to a stream of it but couldn't find anywhere to BUY it. Even the band won't message me back on where I can pay MONEY to get a hold of this.
07:02 AM on 05/01/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I am really jealous you got a copy of Greener Pastures. I wanted to write a review on it and listened to a stream of it but couldn't find anywhere to BUY it. Even the band won't message me back on where I can pay MONEY to get a hold of this.
Oh that sucks. Yeah, it's a solid album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums