Password

Album Review

The Beneath Sky - In Loving Memory Album Cover

The Beneath Sky - In Loving Memory

Reviewed by
Beneath The Sky - In Loving Memory
Release Date: May 11, 2010
Record Label: Victory Records
Beneath the Sky are known for their hit single "7861", and since that release a few years ago and after a disappointing sophomore release, Beneath The Sky have release their third full length album In Loving Memory. Things have changed since that release, and it's easy to hear on their new disc.

In Loving Memory starts with a quick intro and hits hard with "Sorry I'm Lost", which came to me a complete surprise. There are more melodic parts then I ever thought possible in a Beneath The Sky album. Clean vocals haven't always been a strong point for Beneath The Sky, but they stand out on In Loving Memory. If your a fan of Killswitch Engage, this track is for you. "Terror Starts At Home" reminds us of what Beneath The Sky strive for: chugging guitars, "brutal" breakdowns, and soaring growls. The next track, "A Tale From The Northside" takes on a "grunge" feel and at times sounds like Slipknot, with dark spoken vocals and eerie percussion.

The title track sounds out of place for Beneath The Sky but may be the best song on the album. It starts out slow, and you wait for things to pick up, but they don't. This song is full of well-done clean vocals that tell about a relationship gone wrong. "You were never alone in this/I'm always willing to be by your side/You always said for the fight you'd be standing on the front lines". The two vocalists switch back and forth well, the instrumentation is great and it gives off an A Death Grip On Yesterday-era Atreyu feel.

Things pick back up with "To Die For" and "Blood and Separation" but the track sounds pretty mediocre and generic. If it's breakdowns your looking for then these tracks have them. "Static" sounds like an All That Remains b-side and is one of the better tracks on the album. In Loving Memory closes with "Embrace", which features great riffs and guitar work.

Beneath The Sky have changed their style completely, and don't bog you down with the typical breakdown after breakdown sound. They have gone from being borderline deathcore to being a melodic metalcore band. The guitarists do a great job and are backed by a talented drummer, but they don't show us anything new on the disc. The clean vocals are what do it for me, they seem to get repetitive but they were unexpected, and I think that's what they're aiming for on this release. If you're looking for a good metalcore album, with plenty of breakdowns and clean breaks along the way, be sure to pick up In Loving Memory.

Recommended If You LikeCorpus Christi; Killswitch Engage; All That Remains; As I Lay Dying

Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from Handraa. You can see all of Handraa's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
12:11 PM on 06/10/10
brothaman
is too legit to quit.
User Info.
hated this album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles