Password

Album Review

Minus The Bear - Omni Album Cover

Minus The Bear - Omni

Reviewed by
Minus The BearOmni
Release Date: May 4, 2010
Record Label: Dangerbird
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Oooh baby, turn down the lights and turn up the bass. It’s about to get dangerously sexy all up in here with Minus The Bear’s latest album (and Dangerbird Records debut), the funktastic Omni.

Basically, this is the story of how Minus The Bear got their groove back after the lukewarm reaction to 2007’s Planet Of Ice, arguably their worst effort to date. And from the very first notes of opener, “My Time,” you immediately hear the difference. Featuring a synthesizer barrage of noise, “My Time” is taking you into the bedroom and dimming the lights. “Summer Angel” is a little bit gentler than the preceding track, bringing out more of Minus The Bear’s smooth rock sound. Guitarists Jake Snider and Dave Knudson emphasize the dark and furious nature of “Secret Country,” as their guitar work lends to the controlled chaos that is the bridge.

After getting your hormones pumping with the first four tracks, the band switches it down with the slow-burning “Excuses,” as Snider calmly states, “running out of excuses/when we know what the truth is/I’m into you/I’m into you/when you hear this song/you’ll say you knew all along/you’re into me too.” The track appears at just the right time on Omni, setting the tone for the middle (and best) portion of the album.

“The Thief” delivers the perfect balance between the rock and electronic aspects of Omni, while the one-two punch of “Into The Mirror” and “Animal Backwards” is pure auditory bliss. It’s heavy, technical, dancey, and psychedelic – basically everything Minus The Bear does exceptionally well. It proves that the quintet isn’t out of new tricks, as they are still striving to experiment and improve.

You can waste your time bitching and moaning about how Omni isn’t like Highly Refined Pirates or Menos El Oso. Or you can take the stick out of your ass and enjoy the ride. Appreciate the pristine production and bathe your ears in its crisp musicianship. Omni is accessible yet not watered down; complex and engaging all at once. Its catchy and progressive elements will surely dig its way into your cerebellum. Omni makes you want to take a stroll down Dayglow Vista Rd. and get your shine on.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. My Time
2. Summer Angel
3. Secret Country
4. Hold Me Down
5. Excuses
6. The Thief
7. Into The Mirror
8. Animal Backwards
9. Dayglow Vista Rd.
10. Fooled By The Night
Produced by: Joe Chiccarelli

Minus The Bear is:
Jake Snider – vocals/guitar
Dave Knudson – guitar
Erin Tate – drums
Cory Murchy – bass
Alex Rose – keys

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Page

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 134
03:23 AM on 05/03/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Haha, I love how everyone calls this record sexy. That not I'm disagreeing, it's just the general consensus. Good review.
03:30 AM on 05/03/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
love the first line of the last paragraph.
03:31 AM on 05/03/10
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
Album is fantastic.
03:33 AM on 05/03/10
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
the review made you sound like some sort of sleazy douche. very unlike you.

that being said, this album is just as "good" or "bad" as Planet of Ice. Another competent effort without any real surprises by my favorite band. Can't say I am too happy about this assessment but, hey, it's more Minus The Bear.
03:43 AM on 05/03/10
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Riyl?
04:00 AM on 05/03/10
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
not as strong as i was hoping for, i think i like POI more. but i do enjoy it still. sometimes it reminds me of abercrombie music.
04:40 AM on 05/03/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Blah. This is a dull effort from one of my all-time favorites. Knudson is a god among men, but can you even tell he's in the band anymore? I hope this does well for them, but after a few listens, I don't believe I'll ever have reason to spin it again.
04:43 AM on 05/03/10
P_T_W
Rock and or Roll.
User Info.
Blah. This is a dull effort from one of my all-time favorites. Knudson is a god among men, but can you even tell he's in the band anymore? I hope this does well for them, but after a few listens, I don't believe I'll ever have reason to spin it again.
You sir... are just plain wrong.
04:53 AM on 05/03/10
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
Boring record to say the least.
05:03 AM on 05/03/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I've never really listened to MTB before Omni. That said, great review, and I'm really enjoying this record.
05:15 AM on 05/03/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Their worst to date imo. I find it boring and extremely forgettable.

All power to them though, they deserve success - but I won't be endorsing or spreading the word on MTB based on this effort.
05:22 AM on 05/03/10
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
It's so relaxing and chill, a perfect album for summer nights.
05:58 AM on 05/03/10
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
I haven't listened to the album yet, but I honestly got more out of reading other member's comments than I got out of this review. Although it did look like you had three reviews posted today, so maybe that's why it seemed rushed.
06:00 AM on 05/03/10
BoysNightOutie
User Info.
I dig MTB but the vocalist kind of reminds me of a subtler version of the guy from Mudvayne sometimes. Weird I know. I don't think vocals are a strong suit and 8.5 is pushing it for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos