|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Hashbang Spacestar - 05.03.10
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
Part of a parallel/multi-core programming course which I, Jack Fernley, studied at university involved shell scripting and the use the hashbang (#!) prefix. Jack liked the animated sound of hashbang and put it together with Spacestar to form Hashbang Spacestar (#! *). The name's a bit nerdy but fun and easy to find on the net.
2. How did this band get started?
I had written a bunch of songs and produced them at his home studio, Peter (synths) and Beck (drums) joined recently and are touring for the debut EP release.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Hashbang Spacestar's songwriting is generally done first on guitar, or sometimes piano, and the chord progressions are influenced by the Pixies. The poppy sound is often influenced by the Pet Shop Boys and the production influenced by new electro house/pop acts like The Presets, Ladyhawke, Cut Copy, Midnight Juggernauts, Empire of the Sun and PNAU.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
We'd love to tour with electronic sounding bands like the one's mentioned above (The Presets, Ladyhawke, Cut Copy, Midnight Juggernauts, Empire of the Sun and PNAU)
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'd be a turtle or a whale, because I really like those animals and I've been told that my eyes look similar to the eyes of a turtle or a whale.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
To discover something original and new. Some of the songs are frenzied and great for releasing energy, and some of the songs are comforting and gentle.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Hashbang Spacestar's song "I Just Rock and Roll" is great to rock out to and could be appropriate. I'ts probably easy to medium difficulty.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I'd thank the people who downloaded my free mp3s and passed them onto friends, and I'd thank bloggers for posting free download links to my mp3s.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I wouldn't change a thing, I just wish I could time travel back into the past and get a a headstart by using the knowledge and experience we all have today.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Meeting one of my favourite Aussie singer songwriters, Tim Rogers of You Am I, after a gig in Sydney
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a great place to listen to upcoming bands' new mp3s.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Memories travel at the Speed of Light
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love going to the Blue Mountains where I grew up, or vacationing by a bay or the beach.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Early childhood: Harry Belafonte or that song "The Time of My Life"; Preteens: Roxette; Teens: Grunge
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd have a super confidence / no fear switch which I could switch on whenever I wanted.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Absolutely not. It's a long way to the top if ya wanna rock 'n roll!! It's a long way to the shop if you wanna sausage roll!!
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm a cancerian.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
My favourite holidays are when I'm relaxed and surrounded by natural beauty and activities, and when I'm with friends or not too far away.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to spend time with friends, go swimmin at the beach and write music.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can twirl my toungue into a floral shape. Once I was caught napping with my eyes open.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first.
More From This Author