AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Loss for Words - Motown Classics Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics N/A
Production 7.5
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.31
Musicianship 7.25
Production 7.28
Creativity 6.47
Lasting Value 6.22
Reviewer Tilt 6.83
Average: 71%
Inside AP.net

A Loss for Words - Motown Classics

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (05/05/10)
A Loss for Words - Motown Classics
Record Label: Paper + Plastick Records
Release Date: May 11, 2010

Who?

A Loss for Words are a five-piece pop punk band from Boston, Massachusetts. Having gained a good amount of attention from being associated with Massachusetts brethren Four Year Strong, AL4W have followed in their steps by creating a covers album. Motown Classics is A Loss for Words' first album for Paper + Plastick Records and the follow-up to their debut The Kids Can't Lose.

How is it?

It's fun. A Loss for Words may not be as talented as some of their pop punk peers, but they are certainly just as hardworking and passionate as any other band out there. On this cover album, the band get a good selection of hits that everyone should know by heart already, which makes for a few fun listens the first times you hear the record. The lighthearted vocals and hook-laden guitar parts show that A Loss for Words definitely know how to execute their style. However, for the most part, this album drags on after a few listens. It's generically enjoyable but it's repetitive and most listeners probably won't return to Motown Classics save a few standout tracks. Choice cuts include "All Night Long", "Do You Love Me", "My Girl", and "You Can't Hurry Love", but some of the other tracks seem a bit filler-ish. On "I Want You Back", Alan Day and Dan O'Connor of Four Year Strong are featured on vocals, nicely complementing A Loss for Words' sound. "Do You Love Me" is my personal favorite, a short and sweet number with a chorus that is easy to sing along to with your friends.

Summer has started, and if you're looking for a fun album or some car music, look no further than this. A Loss for Words are as worthy of your dollar as any other band out there. It's important to take this album for what it is and nothing more; covers albums can come off as a disappointment to fans of a band, but A Loss for Words have managed to put out a few fun songs that will be a treat to hear live.

Recommended If You LikeMotown songs, Half Hearted Hero, pop punk, groovy bass lines
Bare Essentials1. All Night Long (Lionel Richie)
2. Do You Love Me (The Contours)
3. I Just Called to Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder)
4. I Want You Back (Jackson 5) ((feat. Dan OíConnor and Alan Day of Four Year Strong))
5. My Girl (The Temptations)
6. Reach Out (Iíll Be There) (The Four Tops)
7. Tears of a Clown (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)
8. This Old Heart of Mine (The Isley Brothers)
9. Whatís Goin On (Marvin Gaye) ((feat. Jordan Brown of Set Your Goals))
10. You Canít Hurry Love (The Supremes)
Producer: Chris Curran, Run Time: 27 minutes, 25 seconds

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 131
11:33 PM on 05/05/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Didn't think they needed a once-over review. I think a lot of people know who they are already on here, haha.
11:34 PM on 05/05/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
About what I was expecting from this. I'll still be taking a few listens at least.

Here's the actual artwork, by the way:
http://i1.soundcloud.com/artworks-00...nal.jpg?c3fa03
12:07 AM on 05/06/10
lostfear
Jakesonaplane
User Info.
I really don't like this review. it makes it seem like A Loss For Words isn't a good band, when they are fantastic and super talented.
12:14 AM on 05/06/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
I can't wait to hear this.
12:15 AM on 05/06/10
Stevecase
Red Light Green Light
User Info.
Aw man. (another) Bad review for AL4W on AP.net. I guess I can't like their band now.
12:30 AM on 05/06/10
XSTAYGOLDX
Sorceror Supreme
User Info.
giving matty's vocals only a 7.5 is absurd.

Ive only heard a few tracks on the album but im assuming this will rank up there with NFG's cover albums and much higher than any me first and the gimme gimmes or the majority of covers on the current punk goes "what ever"

Band deserves more love.
12:37 AM on 05/06/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I haven't listened to this band as much as I should, but kudos to Thomas for saying what he thinks. It's obvious the boys from A Loss For Words have a strong presence on this site, and it can be hard to say what you really think about the music when you know the people (and you know they'll be reading this) and it's not all "tough guy internet" attitude. On the other hand, if I listened to this band more and loved them, I might feel the same way as the commenters. Plus, it's a cover album. How amazing can a cover album be? He said it was a fun summer album, that's pretty damn good. Personally I'd probably never listen to a cover album.
01:54 AM on 05/06/10
tkw15
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
and if this was the wonder years it would have been a 90% right?
02:03 AM on 05/06/10
xtheaudition
User Info.
i'll check it out. music is music, and these doods make good music.
02:12 AM on 05/06/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Have you looked at the content? This is an all cover album. In my mind no cover album could gain a 90% score.
02:49 AM on 05/06/10
tkw15
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Have you looked at the content? This is an all cover album. In my mind no cover album could gain a 90% score.
haha I know that but I think it was harsh of him to say they are not as talented as other bands.
05:10 AM on 05/06/10
etomicsean
Lannen Fall / Sean - Manager
User Info.
this is not a bad review guys. no need to get defensive and up in arms. there really is nothing negative in this review. they are a fun band and these are fun tracks. thomas stresses that.
05:14 AM on 05/06/10
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
this is not a bad review guys. no need to get defensive and up in arms. there really is nothing negative in this review. they are a fun band and these are fun tracks. thomas stresses that.
Another case of people just looking at the score apparently. Not even like 68% is even that bad.
05:15 AM on 05/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Didn't think they needed a once-over review. I think a lot of people know who they are already on here, haha.
I did it because I wanted to keep it short.
About what I was expecting from this. I'll still be taking a few listens at least.

Here's the actual artwork, by the way:
http://i1.soundcloud.com/artworks-00...nal.jpg?c3fa03
Thank you. I looked all over for that and I saw the poster for it on their Myspace but I couldn't find the normal artwork anywhere.
I really don't like this review. it makes it seem like A Loss For Words isn't a good band, when they are fantastic and super talented.
Your opinion. Write your own review. I don't think they're bad, I like their first album. This review doesn't bash. I stated that they aren't as talented as other bands, which is true. They are also more talented than many bands. After having this album for about a month, I just find it to be....there. I don't go back to it and for an album that is under 30 minutes, it's tough to get through. The best five songs are good though. I hope my review conveyed something like that.
Aw man. (another) Bad review for AL4W on AP.net. I guess I can't like their band now.
Yeah you better not like them. Or all the staff members will ban you because we only like people who agree with us. Also, this review isn't "bad". I've written much worse reviews. The score might make people think it's bad but the content shouldn't.
giving matty's vocals only a 7.5 is absurd.

Ive only heard a few tracks on the album but im assuming this will rank up there with NFG's cover albums and much higher than any me first and the gimme gimmes or the majority of covers on the current punk goes "what ever"

Band deserves more love.
NFG's are better IMO.
I haven't listened to this band as much as I should, but kudos to Thomas for saying what he thinks. It's obvious the boys from A Loss For Words have a strong presence on this site, and it can be hard to say what you really think about the music when you know the people (and you know they'll be reading this) and it's not all "tough guy internet" attitude. On the other hand, if I listened to this band more and loved them, I might feel the same way as the commenters. Plus, it's a cover album. How amazing can a cover album be? He said it was a fun summer album, that's pretty damn good. Personally I'd probably never listen to a cover album.
Thank you. I didn't mean to bash, and the review doesn't bash. I said what I thought and I think the review is about as positive as it is negative.
Yeah obviously. I only grade The Wonder Years really high. Actually, if this was The Wonder Years, it probably would have bordered on 100%.
haha I know that but I think it was harsh of him to say they are not as talented as other bands.
It's my job?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News