1. How did you get your band name?
Lots of brainstorming. We tried to keep it simple. It also may very possibly be a subconscious attempt at manifesting a tour with Minus The Bear and As Tall As Lions appropriately named "The Lions, Tigers, and Bears Oh My Tour". ...2011?
2. How did this band get started?
We've all been in and out of previous bands collectively on Long Island and after a few unlucky circumstances, we are the remaining 5 who decided to stick it out.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Mutemath, Bloc Party, As Tall As Lions, The Dear Hunter, Moving Mountains, Minus The Bear, Portugal. The Man, Kings of Leon, Papa Roach.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Seeing Bamboozle's day 2 this year was really inspiring. Mutemath put on an unbelievable performance and in our opinion the best of the day. We've all seen them live a handful of times now, and they've yet to disappoint. They are going to and if not already, are doing something big and innovative in the "scene". It's refreshing and I think being on tour with them could teach us a lot.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Our music is honest. We write what we want to play and play what we want to hear. Without sounding pretentious, because there is nothing to ever be pretentious about, I think we've found a pretty solid balance of intricacy and melody. We enjoy our songs, I think that's important and it only seems natural that others would catch on to that sort of sincerity.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I think Daewoo on Fire is our most accessible song as far as pop structure is concerned. I think that would be cool and it would be easy for everyone to enjoy.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
AP.net, Casey Crescenzo for mixing the record, and Fred (our bassist/drummer's dad) for letting us play in his home and always keeping us well fed. Oh, and Larry David.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I read a really cool article from Cliff in As Tall As Lions in Alternative Press a couple of months ago. He had some really interesting things to say about the music industry and how the emphasis needs to be placed back on the artist. An artist can take control if the music is of quality. Legitimate good music; art will never die and is undeniable. We need to re-focus our attention to that and draw attention ourselves. There is too much dependency on being on a label for the wrong reasons. Not undermining the importance of labels in the industry, because they are for sure. I just feel too many guys are playing in bands for the wrong reasons. I'd just quote Cliff's article if I had it with me right now, as the answer to this question haha.
10. Memorable tour experience?
U2 opened for us for a secret tour in Ireland we did back in 1978 before they really hit it big. They were so young... glad to see them still doing it.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP is an awesome online community that stays on top of relevant music in the indie scene as well as covering some of the coolest rock bands of our time. I like the fact that both users and artists can voice their opinions.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Damn These Electric Sex Pants! It has a lot of energy.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Somewhere warmer for sure. Long Island can get really depressing during the winter. I don't know, I think I'm just over the snow.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Blink-182 was a good time during high school. I don't listen regularly anymore, but I'm curious to see what they'll do with this follow up record. The self-titled was a really interesting step for a band of their nature to take. Dan grew up on glam rock, which explains his dreamy long locks of hair.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying, have you seen Peter Pan?
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not even close... but we're dreamers.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Dan and Fred are brothers.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Not that we shouldn't be in a state of gratitude all the time, or at least way more often speaking on my own behalf, but it is a nice reminded on Thanksgiving to take a step back and put things into perspective. We have a lot to be thankful for and are blessed with to have such wonderful friends and families.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Coffee and good convo's at the diner.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Chris is a magician.