AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Built On Secrets - Reflections Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.33
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.08
Production 9.58
Creativity 9.67
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.58
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Built On Secrets - Reflections

Reviewed by: bolgy99 (05/09/10)
Built On Secrets - Reflections
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 9, 2010

Melbourne five-piece Built On Secrets havenít been in the game all that long, but they have sure made an impact. On the back of their six song demo, they have moved quickly to produce their debut EP, Reflections, solidifying their sound and pleasing their growing fanbase.

Spanning a healthy seven tracks, Reflections is a much more focused, mature effort in comparison to their demo, highlighted by catchy melodies in a more upbeat take on the likes of Circa Survive. All five members show undeniable skill in their instrumentation, while still displaying their ability to incorporate pop sensibilities into their songwriting.

Luke Steelís vocals demand your attention from the first song, hitting all the high notes which come to be expected when exploring this kind of territory, with tracks "Beyond the Shadows" and "The Space Between" particularly highlighting his ability. The backing vocals of Eli Menezes do everything to compliment Steelís fantastic voice, and the two come together in many key passages to great effect.

The musical ability doesnít stop with the vocals, as the fingers of Menezes and Richard Hebden constantly dance up and down the fretboard, challenging the likes of fellow Melbournians City Escape and Closure In Moscow. In conjunction with the stunning vocals, the three create a vibrant soundscape to please both the technically minded and casual listener.

"Take Control" displays some of the most aggressive work on Reflections, driven by the double kicks of Jeffrey Raybould. As it breaks into the chorus, it regains its poppy melody, however it is drenched with the same distinct riffs and a strong, groovy bass line from Sean Tyniec, keeping those craving something heavier at bay.

Some confusion arises at the opening of "An Interlude Before...", half expecting to hear two skinny rich kids and Katy Perry break into song, but itís soon cleared up with the rocking introduction to "The Space Between" as it transitions with ease. Menezes adds synthesizers and piano to his impressive list of contributions to the band, which otherwise shine through constantly.

"Whatís Past, Is Prologue" is the epic closer to the already satisfying debut EP, but Built On Secrets donít relax just yet. Taking on a slower, building track after the constant rush of the others adds a new dimension to Reflections, and the quiet verses consisting of vocals and synths only make the chorus more explosive. Menezes closes with a brief, delicate piano piece, and one couldnít ask for much more.

Reflections is a big step in the right direction for the young Melbourne band, exhibiting their talents wonderfully whilst still preparing them for the pop-soaked culture of the casual listener. Showing so much promise and a tight, professional sound both recorded and live, Built On Secrets may just be Melbourneís next big thing.

Recommended If You LikeSaosin, Circa Survive, City Escape, Closure In Moscow, Capulet, other bands starting with 'C'?

PurchaseiTunes
Amazon

MySpace

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
02:18 AM on 05/14/10
the_chariot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great band and a solid debut...have seen them live and just like other Melbourne bands making a name for themselves, they hold a tight ship. Recommended EP, very easy listening
08:36 AM on 05/14/10
B4Bronco6
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
excellent band.
09:24 AM on 05/14/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Good to hear they are already known. They deserve to be.
11:08 AM on 05/14/10
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
The RIYL made me can't wait to check this out
02:31 PM on 05/14/10
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
The RIYL made me can't wait to check this out
you should really enjoy this band if the RIYL caught your attention
08:55 PM on 05/14/10
SteveD
It won't snow where she is going.
User Info.
This band is amazing.
04:46 AM on 05/18/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
This is a fantastic album. Didn't even know these guys were from Melbourne
10:34 PM on 06/08/10
JTDultimate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Some awesome guitar work here, pretty solid tunes from what I've heard of it.
05:53 AM on 06/09/10
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
loving this release more and more each day.
06:06 AM on 09/08/10
Reflexiones
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very nice! I hope to hear more music from you. This is were I get cool new music. Thanks for posting. I will surely forward your music to my friends.

Reflexiones Cristianas
03:35 PM on 09/25/10
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
Great stuff.
05:45 PM on 11/22/10
JoshyDingDong
User Info.
Definately one of my top 10 albums of 2010! I can't wait to see more from this wicked band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests