AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.34
Musicianship 8.58
Lyrics 7.98
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.7
Lasting Value 7.92
Reviewer Tilt 8.04
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (05/14/10)
As I Lay DyingThe Powerless Rise
Release Date: May 11, 2010
Record Label: Metal Blade

It’s hard to stand out in an oversaturated genre like metalcore. Releases get churned out every week featuring breakdown after breakdown and generic sing-scream patterns. The genre fits within a rigid structure, so what makes a band or album stand out is good songwriting. Knowing when to execute a breakdown or where to place clean vocals within a track is crucial to its impact and lasting power. Enter The Powerless Rise, As I Lay Dying’s fifth studio album and finest one at that. What separates the San Diego quintet from the rest of the pack is the group’s attention to detail in their songwriting.

From the initial onslaught of “Beyond Our Suffering” to the punishing payoff in closer “The Blinding of False Light,” The Powerless Rise is a whirlwind ride through 44 minutes of pristine instrumentation and production. Instead of bombarding your ears with breakdowns galore, the band carefully chooses their spots on the record to unleash their auditory assault. There is a lot more riffing from guitarists Nick Hipa and Phil Sgrosso as well, prominently showcased on vicious tracks like “Without Conclusion” and “Condemned.” Drummer Jordan Mancino is no slouch either, absolutely destroying the kit throughout The Powerless Rise.

Not only is The Powerless Rise As I Lay Dying’s heaviest album to date, it also features a splendor not heard on past releases. Slow leads build up into dynamic payoffs, such as “Anger and Apathy,” “Upside Down Kingdom,” and the magnificent “Parallels.”

Now three years deep with the band, bassist Josh Gilbert’s clean vocals sound more genuine this time around, especially on the scorching “Anodyne Sea.” But this is still Tim Lambesis’ rodeo, and he has complete control on The Powerless Rise. His vocal power reverberates throughout “Vacancy,” while “The Only Constant Is Change” is an example of sheer brute force. It’s the best vocal performance of his career.

It’s time for the metalcore genre to get on As I Lay Dying’s level, cause right now they are killing it. The Powerless Rise showcases the band cashing in the potential and promise shown on its first four releases. There is nothing Powerless about this behemoth of an album. It’ll sit atop the metal pinnacle all year long, all while kicking ass and taking names.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Beyond Our Suffering
2. Anodyne Sea
3. Without Conclusion
4. Parallels
5. The Plague
6. Anger and Apathy
7. Condemned
8. Upside Down Kingdom
9. Vacancy
10. The Constant Is Change
11. The Blinding of False Light
Produced by: Adam Dutkiewicz and Daniel Castelman

As I Lay Dying is:
Josh Gilbert – bass/clean vocals
Nick Hipa – guitar
Tim Lambesis – lead vocals
Jordan Mancino – drums
Phil Sgrosso – guitar

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Page

RIYL: August Burns Red, shredding your face off

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 60.
03:21 AM on 05/14/10
the seventeenth
when I think I am, I'm not
User Info.
Good review, amazing record. The Plague and Anger and Apathy are great songs.
04:04 AM on 05/14/10
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
I have to check this out.
04:06 AM on 05/14/10
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
Awesome review Drew. I love how AILD has integrated the melody into their sound, while still finding a way to make it sound fresh. It's refreshing because this record is legitimately heavy, and it isn't just a breakdown counter.
05:03 AM on 05/14/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Great review. I'm in love with this record.
05:54 AM on 05/14/10
coldbyfletch
User Info.
'Not only is The Powerless Rise As I Lay Dying’s heaviest album to date...'

Shouldn't that read 'least heaviest album to date'? Not that there's any problems with that, Tim's vocals are a lot clearer than on previous records and there's a lot more clean vocals from Josh...the albums definitely get more technical each time, wouldn't necessarily say heavier though...
I don't think it's quite up there with An Ocean Between Us but will for sure be one of the best metal releases of the year IMO
06:14 AM on 05/14/10
FaceLixeMurder
Grand Theft Auto
User Info.
Amazing album
06:56 AM on 05/14/10
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
i love this record....i was a little iffy in a few tracks in the beginning but then this record took off for me in the latter half. so awesome i do wish on a technical standpoint their was some more compression on the drum tracks. needs to be a little punchier and tighter for my taste.
07:10 AM on 05/14/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
I have to check this out, it's getting great reviews.
07:27 AM on 05/14/10
live.
Feenay! Fee hee hee hee heenay!
User Info.
Great album.
07:46 AM on 05/14/10
MurderByDan
I'll see you when the sun sets...
User Info.
Really good album. Good review.
07:52 AM on 05/14/10
MALKiiN
User Info.
love this cd. really great metalcore, this band can do no wrong.
08:02 AM on 05/14/10
dismrepair08
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. I don't know if I like this album better than An Ocean Between Us, but I agree that it is very good. I'm not all that big of a fan of the clean vocals...they're more high-pitched than those on the previous album and, since high-pitched clean vocals are the thing to do in metalcore, they sound somewhat generic to me. However, maybe they'll grow on me. But yeah, it's a very good album.
08:38 AM on 05/14/10
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Good album, not really my genre of choice, but I respect it nonetheless.

Lot of high scores lately Drew haha.
08:45 AM on 05/14/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
This album is awesome but I'll I think my favorite will always be Shadows Are Security.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests