Username
Password
AP.net Reviews News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Reviews
Inside AP.net

The Soundtrack to Your Training Montage: Takota Review

Posted by: Russ Hockenbury (09/09/06)
The broken-down man slumps to the corner of the ring at the sound of the bell. Dead on his feet, his weary frame collapses on the stool. Losing eight of the last nine rounds, he's got nothing left but the moxie that got him here in the first place. He'll do it, though. He'll win. For her.

My review of the debut from Takota can be found here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20.
06:29 PM on 09/09/06
Ryan Phantom
I rock sometimes
User Info.
russ hockenbury is weird. but has interesting pre-reviews.
04:17 AM on 09/10/06
Neptune
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you are such an awful writer. at least the other reviewers on this website just tell us how they feel about an album, rather than try to be the hemingway of absolutepunk.
06:31 AM on 09/10/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
you are such an awful writer. at least the other reviewers on this website just tell us how they feel about an album, rather than try to be the hemingway of absolutepunk.
This is a pretty ignorant thing to say. You might have license to say, "Russ, your writing style does not suit what I like to see in a review." However, arguing that Russ is an "awful writer" leaves you with less than a leg to stand on. Especially when you cannot prove you are any better.

Douchebag.
07:53 AM on 09/10/06
Neptune
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a pretty ignorant thing to say. You might have license to say, "Russ, your writing style does not suit what I like to see in a review." However, arguing that Russ is an "awful writer" leaves you with less than a leg to stand on. Especially when you cannot prove you are any better.

Douchebag.
im going to have to disagree. i never compared my writing abilities to the dudebro whos jock you seem to be riding so heavily, i just said he sucks. which he does. you dont need to look any further than the first paragraph of this thread for my point to be proven.
08:58 AM on 09/10/06
analog_boy
to the joshmobile!
User Info.
You might have license to say, "Russ, your writing style does not suit what I like to see in a review." .

Yeah, but nobody is actually going to say that. Be real. And his writing style is just embarrassing.
10:55 AM on 09/10/06
Johnnydcp
User Info.
Did anyone actually read the review?? He isn't bad.
12:36 PM on 09/10/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
im going to have to disagree. i never compared my writing abilities to the dudebro whos jock you seem to be riding so heavily, i just said he sucks. which he does. you dont need to look any further than the first paragraph of this thread for my point to be proven.
First of all, if you cannot provide a better sample or solid examples for constructive criticism, your opinion is worthless.

Second, it has nothing to do with Russ being my friend or cock-jockeying or whatever. He is a great writer with a unique style. Obviously that style does not rub everyone the right way, but he is far from a shitty writer in any sense of those words.

Don't like Russ's reviews? Don't fucking read them then.
12:37 PM on 09/10/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Yeah, but nobody is actually going to say that. Be real. And his writing style is just embarrassing.
Yes, we should all listen to the 19 year old from Scotland that lists Brad Paisley as a favorite artist.

Shut the fuck up.
02:22 PM on 09/10/06
hollywoodending
Listen to Team Sleep
User Info.
stop being immature. actually, its logical that the older you are on here is directly inverse to being taken seriously. would you listen to a 42 year old posting on this board? no, because chances are that there probably is something wrong with him. kinda like richard letting kids walk on his back.
03:06 PM on 09/10/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
Wow. No need to get into an argument about criticism. If you think I suck, you think I suck. If not, then that's fine as well. It doesn't matter to me either way, I will continue writing the way I've always written. As far as trying to be the Hemingway of Absolutepunk.net, I think we should leave Muriel out of this discussion.
03:44 PM on 09/10/06
MorbidAngel
User Info.
sooooooo, anyone else enjoy this album?
04:09 PM on 09/10/06
fuzzypenguin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i do, really impressed
06:37 PM on 09/10/06
FreddyKrueger
Dream Master Soul Keeper
User Info.

that review wasn't as bad as i thought after reading that crap he posted in the beginning of the thread that had nothing to do with anything, i'm not sure if its from a book he likes or is just trying to impress the scene kids with his writing ability. For what its worth we don't need to submit a better writing sample to have a valid opinion, #1 were not writing for a website thats seen by at least a half million people and #2 when that many people read a website there's going to be criticism, i think you hurt the guy who hired him's feelings more than you hurt the actual reviewer, thin skin is what you get when you are dealing with people who are so young they feel as if they are untouchable cuz they write for "absolutepunk"
06:56 PM on 09/10/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
that review wasn't as bad as i thought after reading that crap he posted in the beginning of the thread that had nothing to do with anything, i'm not sure if its from a book he likes or is just trying to impress the scene kids with his writing ability. For what its worth we don't need to submit a better writing sample to have a valid opinion, #1 were not writing for a website thats seen by at least a half million people and #2 when that many people read a website there's going to be criticism, i think you hurt the guy who hired him's feelings more than you hurt the actual reviewer, thin skin is what you get when you are dealing with people who are so young they feel as if they are untouchable cuz they write for "absolutepunk"

It would be totally hypocritical of me to be hurt or attack someone for their criticism of me when I write critically on music. If I couldn't take some of my own medicine, then I'd have no business writing in the first place.

However, I am little confused that you guys didn't see the connection between the review and the intro. In the review, I say that the songs of Takota would be right at home on the soundtrack to any of the Rocky movies. Hence, the boxing reference in the intro. Further, it was really cheesy and grandiose because you could likely give the music the same criticism.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS