Password

Album Review

John Butler Trio - April Uprising Album Cover

John Butler Trio - April Uprising

Reviewed by
John Butler Trio - April Uprising
Record Label: ATO Records
Release Date: April 6, 2010
This review is a user submitted review from cshadows2887. You can see all of cshadows2887's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
09:07 AM on 05/18/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Very well written review.
06:26 PM on 05/18/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
You should review things more.
This is good.
06:29 PM on 05/18/10
cshadows2887
User Info.
You should review things more.
This is good.

Thank you, sir. This was the only thing I've bought in the last few months that wasn't big enough to get a staff review. I want to review more stuff if there's more stuff I pick up that doesn't get covered.
06:25 AM on 05/20/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Surprised anyone outside of Australia knows them
02:06 PM on 12/11/10
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
User Info.
Really well crafted review mate.

I enjoy this album, & it's great to see something like this being reviewed on AP. But I was a fan who enjoyed the earthy jams of his past to an extent. Upon listening to this album, sometimes it felt that the refined conciseness restricted them a little, with a few songs falling in "nothing much happened" category, which is a shame, but perhaps these songs still sound great live.

I also had a great affection for Michael Barker's work behind the percussion kits. While I have focused on the flaws, I do think there are also many highlights on this album. I knew an album like this would come eventually from Butler, always have, but whenever I know he is recording I would always think "don't let it be this record" haha.
02:09 PM on 12/11/10
cshadows2887
User Info.
Really well crafted review mate.

I enjoy this album, & it's great to see something like this being reviewed on AP. But I was a fan who enjoyed the earthy jams of his past to an extent. Upon listening to this album, sometimes it felt that the refined conciseness restricted them a little, with a few songs falling in "nothing much happened" category, which is a shame, but perhaps these songs still sound great live.

I also had a great affection for Michael Barker's work behind the percussion kits. While I have focused on the flaws, I do think there are also many highlights on this album. I knew an album like this would come eventually from Butler, always have, but whenever I know he is recording I would always think "don't let it be this record" haha.
I think it makes sense though. If you're going to jam the songs out live anyway, why not really go the opposite way in the studio. Make both experiences distinct and essential for your fans.
02:14 PM on 12/11/10
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
User Info.
I think it makes sense though. If you're going to jam the songs out live anyway, why not really go the opposite way in the studio. Make both experiences distinct and essential for your fans.
I understand that, but like many talented musicians, I don't think Butler's creative mind works well under the constrains of a 3 minute procession, he needs to time to develop & build upon himself (musically). But all'n'all I do enjoy the album, & it's good to see another fan.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos