Username
Password

07:40 AM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
York, PA
Female - 30 Years Old
I figure there are a lot of individual threads out there regarding LGBT rights whether it be legalization of gay marriage, DADT, LGBT Pride month, etc that we might as well just make one big thread dedicated to all things LGBT rights related. Maybe this is redundant, but I suppose it prevents other threads from getting off topic a bit and allows for a wide variety of discussion on this topic.

Anyway, to start it off...The Advocate is apparently reporting that LGBT activists might be getting in the way of the repeal of DADT.

Quote:
Are gay rights activists standing in the way of ďdonít ask, donít tellĒ being repealed?

Not according to the Human Rights Campaign, which issued the following statement to The Advocate about The Daily Beastís report that gay rights leaders have made a deal with senators and members of the House to not push for an end to "donít ask, donít tell" until sometime next year.

"This story is not only an outright lie, it is recklessly irresponsible. HRC never made such a deal and continues to work with congress and the administration on a full range of equality issues including a swift end to the military's shameful ban on gay service members."

According to Bellini, gay rights organizations want Washington to focus on the hate-crimes bill and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

Source

The HRC is denying these claims, although, I don't really see the negative aspects of this idea. I mean, yea it's sort of crappy to make a deal like that, but it is politics and if they can make deals to potentially get us further ahead in the game, that's great. At this point I'll take just about anything and a employment non-discrimination act would be fantastic as I could finally bring pictures of my girlfriend into work without worry...
07:45 AM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
York, PA
Female - 30 Years Old
Pennsylvania has dueling marriage laws to be considered in the PA senate.

Quote:
The Pennsylvania senate will soon be considering opposing pieces of legislation regarding same-sex marriage. Hoping to catch the pro-gay-marriage New England momentum, Sen. Daylin Leach is introducing the state’s first bill to recognize same-sex marriage.

Meanwhile, Sen. John Eichelberger is preparing to introduce a constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage and consequently prevent courts from from legalizing such unions, as they had in California and Iowa.

Source

Historically speaking, PA has has both laws go through the senate before and neither passed. As much as I would LOVE gay marriage to be legalized in my state, I would prefer that it remain in purgatory then to have a constitutional amendment banning it. I don't really see the legalizing bill to pass, knowing the demographic of most of PA. PA tends to be a fairly conservative state with the exception of the large cities.
10:57 AM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
Those penguins obviously made a choice to be gay.

11:14 AM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
Machu505
yep
New Haven CT
Male - 19 Years Old
Penguins are destroying society.
12:05 PM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/05/mchugh-dadt-change/
McHugh, the nomineee for Army Secretary, approves of a DADT change
03:10 PM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
Male - 21 Years Old
Figures that a story like that is on a liberal, secular rag like MSNBC. Next time link to a respectable source.
03:12 PM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/05/mchugh-dadt-change/
McHugh, the nomineee for Army Secretary, approves of a DADT change
Yeah, they can talk the talk, but when Obama says that he's not going to intervene in the firings of gay servicemen/women it's hard for me to believe that anything substantive will happen on this front.
05:49 PM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
GuitarR0cker1
things mean a lot at the time
Portland, Oregon
Male - 20 Years Old
THOSE PENGUINS ARE DESTROYING PENGUIN FAMILY VALUES!

x
06:26 PM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
Yeah, they can talk the talk, but when Obama says that he's not going to intervene in the firings of gay servicemen/women it's hard for me to believe that anything substantive will happen on this front.
Truth.
11:57 PM on 06/05/09 
User Info.
Losing Streak
True Believer
San Marcos, Texas
Male - 31 Years Old
God forbid if those gay penguins are allowed to raise children. You'll have kid penguins growing up confused and unable to function in the larger normal penguin society.
03:11 AM on 06/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
God forbid if those gay penguins are allowed to raise children. You'll have kid penguins growing up confused and unable to function in the larger normal penguin society.
Gay penguins only raise gay penguin children. It's a vicious cycle that will never be broken.
05:32 AM on 06/06/09 
User Info.
registered
No Avatar Selected
Male - 27 Years Old
Those penguins cant be gay. I mean most penguins wear a tux and have a sense of style but look at these gay penguins, nothing fancy at all.
05:36 PM on 06/07/09 
User Info.
Charles777
my anaconda don't
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
Fuckin penguins, poisoning my young mind.
06:25 PM on 06/07/09 
User Info.
Machu505
yep
New Haven CT
Male - 19 Years Old
I love how most of this thread has been a discussion on how penguins are destroying family values and shit.
06:32 PM on 06/07/09 
User Info.
MyNameIsRoss

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums