AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

This Is Hell - 09.13.06

Interviewed by: Jon Foucart (09/13/06)
First off, thanks for taking the time to fill this out for the readers of AP.net.

No problem man, sorry this took long, i was in canada on tour with the cancer bats for like two weeks...

The band recently dropped their debut full length, Sundowning, Trustkill records. How did you end up with the label?

We toured our asses off after we put out our demo, we played over 200 shows just on a demo cd, when you play that many shows people start to notice the hard work ethic...

Is there any reason as to why you didn't end up with Triple Crown?

Hmm, i don't know, triple crown doesn't really have many hardcore bands, doesn't seem to be what they're looking for, fred is a sweet dude though and was cool with me doing whatever.

When you were writing for Sundowning, did you try and approach it differently than past projects and releases?

I don't know i think we were super focused with this project being that it's essentially a concept disc, we took a long time making the tracklisting so it all flowed super good.

Is there any meaning behind the bands name or the albums title?

I got the name THIS IS HELL from a elvis costello song... and the album title just ties into the theme of the record...

How are the two new members fitting in and what do they bring to This Is Hell?

Chris and johnny are doing great, they both are great at their instruments and have been playing for years, i can't wait to work on new stuff with those guys.

Now the band is doing a split with Canada's Cancer Bats. How did this idea originate, and can you fill us in on what TIH is going to be putting on the split?
Over two years ago on our first tour, we played a few shows in canada, and they happend to be the first few shows the cancer bats played as a band, we become friends with those guys and stayed in touch and even did two small tours together, our buddy will came up with the idea for us to do a split on his new label, so we decided to each record a new song and a cover of each others song... it's going to be awesome... we record sept 22nd...

Alot of people are still asking what happened to Scraps and Heart Attacks, what exactly happened if you don't mind answering?

Everyone in scraps at the time had jobs/school and shit except myself, i wanted to tour full time and at the time none of the other guys wanted to do so, so i moved on... i'm stoked to be in a band with chris again though, and i'm glad that kellen joined the avalanche..

Now you appear on the AP.net forums quite a bit. Do you feel it's a good idea for a band your size to stay in contact with fans via messageboards, myspace, etc..?

I think regardless of how big your band is you need to stay in touch with the people who make it possible for you to do what you do, fuck ego's and all that shit, take a few minutes out of your day, log into your myspace, answer some questions, its the least you can do....

Does the band plan on releasing a video in the near future and if so, which song was chosen and what should we expect on the video?

Yes actually sometime this week we might be shooting a video, for the song Permanence most likely... you should expect a killer video.

Tours with Strike Anywhere, Bane and more are lined up for the fall. Are there any other stints in the works?

Umm after that tour i think we are going to be going to England/Europe in Nov/Dec.... not sure with who yet though, there is talks of doing a few shows with the Lost Prophets in england, and there is talks of doing europe with the cancer bats & alexisonfire... i hope all of the above works out, can't wait to get back to europe

What Long Island bands do you plan on touring with in the future, and what stories can you tell us about some of them?

Hmm, honestly there isn't many bands from Long Island that go out on tour... we aren't really in any position at the moment to "take" a band out with us.... but in the future i'd love to tour with Crime In Stereo again, and i'd love to go out with The Sleeping...

How many bands have ex-members of SAHA?

Just THIS IS HELL & I AM THE AVALANCHE

Do you ever plan on doing another project that isn't "hardcore?"

At the moment i have no plans, me and my brother always talked about doing a band together, we are both always busy though, hopefully at some point in time when we both have downtime we can swing it.

Where do you hope to see This Is Hell in the next few years?

I'd love to see us still making music and being relavent and leaving our mark.

Thanks for your time Travis, any closing statements?

Thank you so much for looking out for us man, it's a shame that 95% of the bands that are talked about on AP.net don't deserve anyones attention and the hardworking bands are overlooked... so keep up the good work man.

If you haven't yet, pick up the bands Truskill debut, Sundowning, right here. It's a killer release.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
01:20 PM on 09/13/06
crit
@crittweets
User Info.
brandon & travis doing something together would be amazing.

sweet interview.
01:51 PM on 09/13/06
abcdefghijennie
"but you don't eat your shoes."
User Info.
Damn I wish that tour would come to DC. Good interview! I can't wait for the Permanence video, that song is awesome.
02:17 PM on 09/13/06
rewindthistime
unravel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
brandon & travis doing something together would be amazing.

sweet interview.
i agreeee, brandon & travis together would be greatttt
03:31 PM on 09/13/06
abcdefghijennie
"but you don't eat your shoes."
User Info.
Yeah definitely. It's not fair that there's so much talent in their family. No one in my family is good at anything.
03:52 PM on 09/13/06
Susan Sarandon
...tends to disappear regularly.
User Info.
", it's a shame that 95% of the bands that are talked about on AP.net don't deserve anyones attention"

Oh man. I love This is Hell.
02:28 AM on 09/14/06
swizzle
LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN
User Info.
good guy, awesome band, but why would you want to tour with lost prophets? thats just wrong
06:41 PM on 09/29/06
em0_stars
Count Me Out
User Info.
"Thanks for your time Travis, any closing statements?

Thank you so much for looking out for us man, it's a shame that 95% of the bands that are talked about on AP.net don't deserve anyones attention and the hardworking bands are overlooked... so keep up the good work man."
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests