AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Archimedes, Watch Out! - 05.24.10

Archimedes, Watch Out! - 05.24.10

Interviewed by
Archimedes, Watch Out! - 05.24.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Archimedes, Watch Out!

www.myspace.com/watchoutmusic
www.twitter.com/watchoutmusic
www.battleofthebands.com/watchoutmusic (Go vote to get us on Houston Warped Tour)

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, our band name stems from a quote in the Disney movie "The Sword and the Stone". Archimedes was the name of Merlin's owl and at some point in the movie, Merlin yells at the owl saying "Archimedes, Watch Out" and for some reason that stuck with our guitarist Tommy Loewen. I wish there were some deeper meaning behind our name but that's about it. haha

2. How did this band get started?
This band is actually a culmination of several local bands to Lubbock, TX. Tommy came from a hardcore/screamo band called "Archers", Mason and Austin were members of a joke hardcore band called "Face the Destroyer", our singer Dalton originally played guitar for a girl fronted pop punk band known as "Right on Red", and I (Jeff) was in a indie band known by the name of "Kingsley" or "Falling Down Hurts" depending on the time period. The only fresh blood in the band is our bass player Evan Wallis. Basically, all of the previous bands fell apart at the same time so the smart thing seemed to get together and keep doing what we love, which is writing music and playing shows!

3. What bands are you influenced by?
New Found Glory, Four Year Strong, Saves the Day, Set Your Goals, The Starting Line, so on and so forth.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I personally would want to tour with Saves the Day because they are one of my all time favorite bands and they're one of the reasons I have tried so hard to make it in the music industry. Also, New Found Glory would be amazing to tour with because those guys are funny as hell.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Grizzly Bear... cuz nobody messes with a Grizzly bear

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to us because it's fun music. We're high energy and we love playing shows and seeing people in the crowd enjoying the show. Music is what we live for and if you like upbeat riffs and singing along loudly in your car as much as we do, we think you'll enjoy us.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Congratulations; probably not very hard because we're a pop-punk band, so 1.) there's not really any shredding solos, and 2.) if you have any sense of rhythm it just shouldn't be hard

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our parents, for putting up with us refusing to grow up and get real jobs.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
People's attitudes towards pirating music. We should be supporting the bands we like, not stealing from them. One thing I love is buying cd's from bands that I really enjoy and knowing that I'm contributing to their ability to keep providing me with the music I love.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We're currently on the 3rd day of our 1st tour ever... yesterday, our guitarist Mason Parkman is cruising around on a ripstick and we hear him say "I'm gonna see how fast I can go"... next thing we know he's on the ground with a concussion and a split open head, not to mention that blood is going everywhere. After about 5 hours and 12 staples later, Mason is closed up and ready for the rest of the tour, but not without feeling slightly concussed and being banned from riding ripsticks ever again.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a place where people who love music, can come to get their fix of news on their favorite artists, exposure to new artists, and to meet and chat with other people about mutual and common interests, whether it be music or any other facet of life. It's basically a great way to spend time finding out about new music, seeing what other people think about things your passionate about, and a great way to pass the time.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play is definitely Carolina. It has so many elements that I love and with it's constant drive, it keeps people engaged the whole time and I love that.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love any place in Colorado; it's beautiful and when it's winter time the mountain is great for snowboarding... and I loves me some snowboarding!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I grew up in a family that listened to anything from classic rock to early 90's rock. But mostly rock and rock. It was either the Eagles or Def Leopard that mostly remind me of my child hood. And with my dad being a biker, definitely Lynard Skynard in the mix without a doubt.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would want the ability to teleport myself... who wouldn't want to have the ability to take themselves out of all the awkward situations and go to anywhere else? Although, who doesn't love a good awkward situation.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
If by "made it" do you mean reached our full potential as a band? Because if that's the case, then definitely not. We've recorded our first CD and we're playing shows and going out on the road to get our name out there, but we still have a very long way to go. When we get to the point when we get home from tour and know that we leave again in another week to do it again, then I'll know we're getting close.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
In our band, we house a couple of legitimate band nerds. Dalton Claybrook, our lead singer, was an all-state trumpet player in high school, not to mention head drum major of the high school band. I, Jeff Stringer, was on drumline for 10 years since junior high, with 4 of those years coming at the collegiate level at Texas Tech University, where Dalton also marched a year on the trumpet line!

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving; when else do you get to eat all day and still have leftovers?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love writing music. Any time I'm bored i'll just pick up my acoustic guitar and play around for any period of time. And was Tosh.o... makes me laugh.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm not sure if this really counts but regardless of the fact that I'm a musician, I also love sports and really enjoying playing basketball, football and sand volleyball. Speaking of, it's summer time and I'm definitely ready to get down on that sand vball!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests