AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Crystal Cove - Crystal Cove Demo Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 5.5
Production 6.5
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Crystal Cove - Crystal Cove Demo

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (05/25/10)
Crystal Cove - Crystal Cove Demo
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 2009

Who?

Crystal Cove are a four-piece pop rock band from Australia. Crystal Cove Demo is their first official release, containing all four songs that the band have written to date. The group were supposed to release a debut EP in the spring, so it should be coming along soon.

How is it?

It's catchy and it's fun, but it's nothing special. "Nicoteenagers" is the standout, a great pop rock anthem that is mellow and has just a hint of The Dangerous Summer. The guitar work is simple, power chords and catchy melodies that are meant to stay in your head for longer than the run time of the song. Sean Degan's vocals are enjoyable with his accent, but essentially emulate the vocal style of many singers before him in the genre. "The Forecast Was Wrong" is good as well, a little more pop punk-ish than the other songs, and has good production to boot. A catchy chorus carries the song for the most part, but this song shows to me that Crystal Cove have something of a range in their songwriting ability. In my opinion, moving in more of a pop punk direction would better suit Degan's voice and make Crystal Cove more accessible to a larger audience. "There's No 'I' In Summer" is the worst track on the demo, with an odd guitar riff paired with Brendon Urie-esque vocals that don't really match. "B.O.B.T.A.S.A.", whatever that is besides a pain to type out, is a mediocre pop rocker. If Crystal Cove can expand on the better parts of their sound, they'll be able to piece together a decently catchy debut EP.

Recommended If You Likepop rock, Man Overboard, The Dangerous Summer

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
02:18 AM on 05/25/10
calwal22
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really dig this band
02:45 AM on 05/25/10
CrystalCoveBand
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks Heaps for the review man! It means a lot to us!

The EP is coming along Nicely and should hopefully be out by september! We'll send you out a copy for review if you'd like!!
Its great to finally get some Honest Opinions on our music and we'll definitely take things away from this!!!
Thanks Again
04:43 AM on 05/25/10
thelofters
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Okay, im going to be totally honest here. I am from Newcastle and play in a band. We have played with this band before. Painful.
Nice boys, great catchy song writing. But the accent? we were sure the singer was American.
Hot tip? either stop listening to too much American pop punk or get a new singer.
05:10 AM on 05/25/10
CrystalCoveBand
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Okay, im going to be totally honest here. I am from Newcastle and play in a band. We have played with this band before. Painful.
Nice boys, great catchy song writing. But the accent? we were sure the singer was American.
Hot tip? either stop listening to too much American pop punk or get a new singer.
ok.
thanks for you honest opinion dude! but i honestly don't think i sound american. and i try not too!
may i ask what band you're in??? no wanting to bash. just wanting to know?!
05:31 AM on 05/25/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
These guys did well managing to get a staff review for these demo's. They're not too bad. Looking forward to some better quality recordings
05:35 AM on 05/25/10
CrystalCoveBand
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys did well managing to get a staff review for these demo's. They're not too bad. Looking forward to some better quality recordings
thanks dude! :) we're looking forward to what we can do with the ep! hopefuly sean can sound less american though :P
09:29 AM on 05/25/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Thanks Heaps for the review man! It means a lot to us!

The EP is coming along Nicely and should hopefully be out by september! We'll send you out a copy for review if you'd like!!
Its great to finally get some Honest Opinions on our music and we'll definitely take things away from this!!!
Thanks Again
No problem, man. I'll be sure to check out the EP. And I know the score is low, but I try to keep things relative, you know. I do enjoy listening to the demos.
05:54 PM on 05/25/10
CrystalCoveBand
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No problem, man. I'll be sure to check out the EP. And I know the score is low, but I try to keep things relative, you know. I do enjoy listening to the demos.
hey dude, the way i see it is that 1 we got a higher score than bullet for my valentine :P and 2 even though you said 'summer was the worst' i got compared to brandon urie in a way! haha! we love the honesty and know we're heading in the right direction. this review just helped us out knowing its right!
we're re doing summer and BOBTASA for the ep, but a little differently so hopefuly we can swing your vote! ;)
05:59 PM on 05/25/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
hey dude, the way i see it is that 1 we got a higher score than bullet for my valentine :P and 2 even though you said 'summer was the worst' i got compared to brandon urie in a way! haha! we love the honesty and know we're heading in the right direction. this review just helped us out knowing its right!
we're re doing summer and BOBTASA for the ep, but a little differently so hopefuly we can swing your vote! ;)
Haha I''ll be sure to check them out. And yeah, you definitely sound like him in some parts of that track. I'd definitely rec this to my friends before the new Bullet album haha.
05:31 AM on 05/30/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
The band's name makes me think of Crystal Castles and Saosin simultaneously
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music