Username
Password

06:45 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
FondestMemory
having fun in the heart of it all
Youngstown, OH
Male
I love Peanut Butter haha I think I'll bring it for lunch everyday at school. My problem has to do with soda I think. I drink a lot of soda. I don't drink nearly enough water. I have to start, though. I'm gonna start with situps/pushups and then eventually when I get my YMCA pass renewed I'm gonna start going back.

eliminating soda will go a long way for you. too much stuff you don't need. even though it's so good.

he's right about drinking as much water as possible. try to keep a bottle or something at room temperature. drinking ice cold water isn't going to help you too much. it quenches your thirst too quickly and causes you to drink less of it.. keep room temperature water around and just drink it all day.

there was a time where i always had a gallon jug with me and i would just drink it all day. sometimes i'd even have to move on to a new jug come the evening.
06:47 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
marrost
stupid fuck / passionate enthusiast
flavortown
That's the exact reason why I'm doing this. This summer I packed on a lot of pounds. Everyone noticed. My friends never called me fat or anything, but they basically told me I put on noticeable weight. That's when I was basically motivated to lose some of the weight.
Like I said man, dedicating yourself for the first time yields the biggest leap in results. I went from benching 135 on the last set to 200 on the last set just over the summer. I usually did 4 days a week, chest, shoulders/back, arms, then a little bit of everything on the fourth day. It worked really well for me.

It's gotten a little harder with school, but I need to stay on top of it. Don't kill yourself in the beginning either. I was sore for a week after my first workout.
06:52 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
itsjdiggity
7-0
Los Angeles, CA
Male
eliminating soda will go a long way for you. too much stuff you don't need. even though it's so good.

he's right about drinking as much water as possible. try to keep a bottle or something at room temperature. drinking ice cold water isn't going to help you too much. it quenches your thirst too quickly and causes you to drink less of it.. keep room temperature water around and just drink it all day.

there was a time where i always had a gallon jug with me and i would just drink it all day. sometimes i'd even have to move on to a new jug come the evening.

i drink about 3-5 liters of water a day. i pee around 5 times after every 1.5 liters and the urine is totally clear and smells like guava nectars...is that normal?
06:56 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
CROMagnon
Joe Cool
New York
Male
i drink about 3-5 liters of water a day. i pee around 5 times after every 1.5 liters and the urine is totally clear and smells like guava nectars...is that normal?
my high school health teacher said that clear urine is healthy
i don't know about the smell though
06:58 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
itsjdiggity
7-0
Los Angeles, CA
Male
having to pee every 2 minutes gets annoying
07:01 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
CROMagnon
Joe Cool
New York
Male
having to pee every 2 minutes gets annoying
...that should have only happened the first couple of days of drinking that much water
your body should be used to it by now
07:10 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
VeloriumCamper
recognize johnny blaze
Suffern, New York
Male - 23 Years Old
yeah, football.. i eat w/e i want and im in great shape

you need to run and lift A LOTTTTT though. 2 hours a day.
07:17 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
Split2nd
MARKY MARK
Male - 24 Years Old
Pushups/situps are pretty useless to be honest, unless you're doing it with weights. Situps are really inefficient, you're using a lot of your back instead of focusing on your abs. That's why crunches are so much better, they focus on your abs doing the work. Getting a six-pack is all in your diet/bodyfat though... situps aren't going to make your abs more visible. Doing 100+ situps is rather pointless, all it's doing is conditioning your body; like weak cardio. Pushups without weights isn't really going to get you anywhere.

Once you start going to the gym, regarding the split, most people have a chest/triceps day, back/biceps day, and legs/shoulders day, because the three major areas of muscles are chest/back/legs, while triceps/biceps/shoulders are minor muscles. Try to avoid doing an "arms" day, devoting a whole day to two minor muscle groups is bad.

With your diet, you must must eliminate sodas, period. So much useless sugar, especially if you drink a lot of it. And don't "slowly" break away from it, just eliminate it. If you just slowly try to get rid of it, you're never going to quit. Unless you drink it in the morning to wake you up or something, it's not like you're going to have major negative side effects like coffee or smoking. Cutting out the junkfood and soda is huge... but you can still snack on shit throughout the day, like someone already mentioned, make PB&J, but MAKE SURE that you get the NATURAL peanut butter, the normal Skippy and shit is loaded with sugar and other bad stuff. Get natural peanut butter and jelly have a couple PB&Js when you're hungry. At school, I usually have that, chicken breast strips (Foster Farms ones are so good, it's just a little pack you can pick up at the grocery store), a gainer shake, and a granola bar or something in between breakfast and lunch.

Make sure not to do cardio immediately after lifting, too.

I'd recommend going to some weightlifting forums and just read and learn... they're a goldmine for info.

Oh, and like someone said, just always keep a waterbottle on you and sip at it all day. Don't chug it, just sip it. If you feel thirsty, you're already something like 20% dehydrated. What I do is just bring a gallon jug to school and keep it in my locker, and fill up my waterbottle in between classes.
07:18 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
Split2nd
MARKY MARK
Male - 24 Years Old
yeah, football.. i eat w/e i want and im in great shape

you need to run and lift A LOTTTTT though. 2 hours a day.

Lifting for 2 hours is major overtraining... you shouldn't be lifting for more than 1 hour. Sorry if you meant including running.
07:23 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
CROMagnon
Joe Cool
New York
Male
Once you start going to the gym, regarding the split, most people have a chest/triceps day, back/biceps day, and legs/shoulders day, because the three major areas of muscles are chest/back/legs, while triceps/biceps/shoulders are minor muscles. Try to avoid doing an "arms" day, devoting a whole day to two minor muscle groups is bad.

i've changed to this setup, and it has worked much better
08:07 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
Clarett'sGreyGoose
Tortured Sports Fan
Male - 26 Years Old
I really, really need to get back into lifting weights and shit.

My muscle mass has gone to shit, and it's totally obvious. I miss playing football already.

THAT BEING SAID: Before I really get back into a lifting program like I used to be in, I have to rehab my shoulder. I took a weightlifting unit in gym in January (3 months after the injury) and I couldn't bench 135 (my max WAS 210, sets at 175) without an intense amount of pain.

Anyone have suggestions for exercises to strengthen my shoulder and the areas around it??
08:34 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
imirish06
Adam.
PA
Male - 30 Years Old
i'll lay out a massive amount of info on diet/weight training and everything else for anyone who wants it..
i just want to finish watching the game first :D
08:36 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
Upper Vest Side
Male
I hate working out, but it needs to be done.
08:39 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
Clarett'sGreyGoose
Tortured Sports Fan
Male - 26 Years Old
I hate working out, but it needs to be done.
I used to LOVE working out, but it's not nearly as fun when you get shooting pains every time you try to do upper body work....

Oh yeah. And I'm not a doctor or anything but someone explain this to me:

If my only diagnosed injury was a Grade II separated shoulder, WHY IN THE FUCK IS ALL OF MY PAIN IN THE BACK OF MY SHOULDER BY MY ROTATOR CUFF?

Riddle me this. My doctor's a fucking idiot...my mother insists that I see him, even though he's the same douchebag who told me nothing was wrong with my knee when I sprained it, and now I'll have tendinitis for, like, ever.
08:49 PM on 09/17/06 
User Info.
LeftWideOpen
not another brick in the wall.
boston
Male - 29 Years Old
i was a 3 sport athlete in high school and was in great shape. i never lifted much and i never found it necessary, as long as you run/jog/walk a lot. i think thats the simplest way to get in shape. it depends what you are going for though ..i was never looking to bulk up in regards to my upper body because i was more focused on strengthening my legs and staying lean, because I pitched.

but since i've come to college ive put on about 20 pounds in two years. I'm 5'11 and I've gone from 165 pounds to about 185-190 because I've really just gotten lazy and I drink too much. I also think the fact that I've become highly dependent on coffee to keep me focused on school has been detrimental to my health.

i've tried a few diets and have come to the conclusion that none of them are really necessary unless you feel like you need that kind of structure to stay committed. south beach is probably the healthiest way to go though and i think there's a general consensus among health experts that agree.

i actually have a question though, for those of you who may know it ..what are the detrimental effects of coffee in regards to a healthy diet? i know that it obviously dehydrates you, but could that be negated by consuming large amounts of water throughout the day, or are there more negatives associated with it?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos