Username
Password

03:19 AM on 04/26/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old
if you are using protein drinks, do you need to use it everyday? or only the days when you work out? lets say Monday to Friday=5 days?

I'm on a high protein-low carb diet so every day. Usually once in between meals and then once after my workout.
03:26 AM on 04/26/10 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm on a high protein-low carb diet so every day. Usually once in between meals and then once after my workout.

so you really max-out your workouts? cause i drank protein shakes before but I could not maintain my workouts thoroughly before so instead of building muscle most just became acne on my face

though now its summer i'v been getting very very good workouts at the gym cause of all the time
12:47 PM on 04/26/10 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
if you are using protein drinks, do you need to use it everyday? or only the days when you work out? lets say Monday to Friday=5 days?
it depends. On days I lift, I max out my protein intake (the old adage goes that you want 1.5x your bodyweight in kg...that's how many grams you should ingest in order to build muscle...so for me i'm 185lbs which is 83kg which comes out to about 120 grams of protein). On days I don't lift I do about a 1:1 ratio. Also on the days I lift, most of my protein comes in around when i lift (as I said before, 20 grams before lifting, 40 grams after lifting...just from shakes...then another 60 will come in from meals). So I usually try and workout before dinner time. That's another good thing to follow...lift before your largest meal of the day...after you lift your body is drained so you need to replenish your glycogen stores as well as build muscle. So why not get your max calories in right after you lift? I tend to have my biggest high GI carb meal an hour before I lift so that when I'm working out, I burn mostly ingested carbs and some glycogen so then afterwards, my body is not as drained and I can build more efficiently.
02:57 PM on 04/26/10 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 22 Years Old
it depends. On days I lift, I max out my protein intake (the old adage goes that you want 1.5x your bodyweight in kg...that's how many grams you should ingest in order to build muscle...so for me i'm 185lbs which is 83kg which comes out to about 120 grams of protein). On days I don't lift I do about a 1:1 ratio. Also on the days I lift, most of my protein comes in around when i lift (as I said before, 20 grams before lifting, 40 grams after lifting...just from shakes...then another 60 will come in from meals). So I usually try and workout before dinner time. That's another good thing to follow...lift before your largest meal of the day...after you lift your body is drained so you need to replenish your glycogen stores as well as build muscle. So why not get your max calories in right after you lift? I tend to have my biggest high GI carb meal an hour before I lift so that when I'm working out, I burn mostly ingested carbs and some glycogen so then afterwards, my body is not as drained and I can build more efficiently.

alright thanks for the great advice!
12:35 PM on 04/30/10 
User Info.
TEAMRAMROD
it feels like a sauna in here.
NOLA
Male - 26 Years Old
Anybody here have experience with waxy maize? A friend recommended it to me but I'm not sold on it.
03:37 PM on 04/30/10 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 22 Years Old
last question!

is the time of the day when you workout relevant to the amount of muscle you can build? or not really?
11:08 AM on 05/09/10 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Working on getting into better shape right now; eating healthy, walking a 3-4 miles a day, drinking lots of water, and lifting occasionally.

Does anyone have any other tips I should know about? I'm not trying to bulk up, just shed body fat and tone down.
03:13 AM on 05/13/10 
User Info.
bobbo8
@RM_Mathews
Revere, Ma
Male - 26 Years Old
Working on getting into better shape right now; eating healthy, walking a 3-4 miles a day, drinking lots of water, and lifting occasionally.

Does anyone have any other tips I should know about? I'm not trying to bulk up, just shed body fat and tone down.
I need to do the same, shred BF/tone down, and ice known this for awhile. I've always just said ehh, I'm fine until last night when someone I wouldn't expect it from said "yeah, you're getting fat." Hopefully this + me going to Mexico next month is the motivation I
need to finally get at it. Hardest thing for me is diet, I live mostly off take out and I'm one of the pickiest eaters I've ever met. I plan on going for a 3 mile walk/run later and hopefully setting that as a daily trend.
06:17 AM on 05/13/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old

If you really want to shed body fat then the biggest thing for you will be to follow a pretty strict diet especially since you won't be lifting all that much.
11:05 AM on 05/13/10 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
If you really want to shed body fat then the biggest thing for you will be to follow a pretty strict diet especially since you won't be lifting all that much.
I'm down 17 lbs over 4 weeks, so I guess it's working well enough. Haha.
02:15 AM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
garggggh
Running marathons
Washington, DC
Female
Diet will help you shed body fat but you'll also lose muscle if you don't strength train. Diet results in roughly 75% body fat loss and 25% muscle mass loss, which is pretty huge. If you strength train, you could actually decrease the amount of muscle mass loss to around 5-10%, though the number on the scale might not budge.

Anyway, does anyone do the CrossFit WOD? Shit is intense.
05:40 AM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old
Diet will help you shed body fat but you'll also lose muscle if you don't strength train. Diet results in roughly 75% body fat loss and 25% muscle mass loss, which is pretty huge. If you strength train, you could actually decrease the amount of muscle mass loss to around 5-10%, though the number on the scale might not budge.

Definitely biggest thing for me. I've only been losing roughly a lb or two a week so it's almost discouraging but you can see the results big time which is obviously more important.
05:52 AM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
Fullblast 2.0
Not to be confused with Fullblast
07:42 AM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Anyone have tips on cutting down muscle soreness? I'm 5 days into p90x and have already needed to switch routines because my arms were too sore to do the scheduled routine one day. I stretch before and after and drink a recovery drink right after I finish. Is it just a case matter of struggling through it for the first week or two?
07:51 AM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
lbopm
catch phrase
Anyone have tips on cutting down muscle soreness? I'm 5 days into p90x and have already needed to switch routines because my arms were too sore to do the scheduled routine one day. I stretch before and after and drink a recovery drink right after I finish. Is it just a case matter of struggling through it for the first week or two?

Yeah, that is exactly it. You'll get to a point in the routine where you probably wont feel much at all the next day. If it really that sore, just push the workout back a day, it is still going to get done but you need recovery time. But if you're just starting it is very normal and it wont hurt you to push through it especially with p90x. If you were doing some really heavy lifts it could be dangerous but not with that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos