AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

White Ravens, The - 06.01.10

Interviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (06/01/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The White Ravens

Answered by brother sister duo, Amy and Will Bennett of The White Ravens

http://www.whiteravenmusic.com/
http://www.myspace.com/whiteravensmusic
http://www.greenlightgopublicity.com...thewhiteravens
http://twitter.com/thewhiteravens

1. How did you get your band name?
Amy: Band names, like many diseases, are contracted through direct contact with infected material. The name “The White Ravens” was transmitted to our band via a particularly ornery albino raven (named Paul), who, when looking for shiny materials to collect for his nest, picked up an early CD of ours with his beak. The band name was instantaneously transmitted to our music, and has remained with us ever since.

2. How did this band get started?
Amy: I was twelve. My brother was eleven. We were bored over Christmas break and both loved music. The expected happened. We made music. I'm eighteen now. My brother is seventeen. We still make music together. Somewhere in there, we released two albums. Wow.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Amy: The Beatles, The White Stripes, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Who, The Fiery Furnaces, The Limelighters, Neutral Milk Hotel, Muse, The Dresden Dolls, Squirrel Nut Zippers, The Faint, The Shins, The Unicorns, The Dead Weather, Ween, The Raconteurs, His Holiness Jack White.
Will: The Beatles (of course), The Who, The Guess Who, Simon and Garfunkel, The White Stripes, The Dresden Dolls, The Doors, etc.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Amy: We'd love to tour with The Decemberists, because their lead singer, Colin Meloy, would tell the best bedtime stories.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Amy: I would be a squidbearfungipus. Need I justify this?
Will: Probably a Koala bear. They are cute and have it easier than most animals, just sitting around in a eucalyptus tree all day, eating leaves.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Amy: I listen my own music, and take it from me, I have good taste.
Will: For music's sake.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Our song “Detritus” would definitely be the song for guitar hero. It would be painfully easy to five-star on “expert”, because our band is primarily piano-based, and our guitar parts are generally very simple.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Amy: My parents, a bunch of dead Greek guys who has some pretty neat ideas, my brother. I'd also give a big thank you to Diana Wynne Jones, an older British lady who wrote some of the best children's books on earth. Her books provided little Me a window into the fantastic, through which I jumped and never really came back.

Will: If we won for our new CD, Gargoyles and Weather Vanes, I would thank my parents, the people who voted for me, Liberty DeVitto, who was the drummer for our CD, and Jim Diamond, who recorded us.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Amy: I would stop silly prosecution of music file sharers. Brother, can you spare a new music-industry paradigm?

Will: I think the music biz is too afraid to try new ideas. The music biz is a lot more uptight today than during the 60's/70's.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Amy: We were upstaged on Toronto's Breakfast TV by a 600 pound hamburger. Coverage of its cooking ended up stealing half of our on-air set time. Luckily, we got our revenge. It was quickly consumed, and had to meat its maker, so to speak.

Will: When we recently played in Toronto, this man came up to us on a bike with a gigantic harmonica and told us he was Jesus and really wanted a copy of our CD.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Amy: It means that I can find reviews of some pretty neat new music.
Will: I think AP.net is a great way to find great music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Amy: “Atomic Panda” is the most fun song to play, because while we play it, we demand that our audience members stage a panda fight. We've seen all sorts of panda fight variants, but my favorites tend to involve sumopanda wrestling.

Will: For my own songs, proboblay Atomic Panda because I enjoy going crazy playing the panda fight scene. In terms of other peoples songs, Bad, Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Amy: If I could choose any place to vacation, I'd choose Paul McCartney's chin. It would be really, really neat to get a glimpse into his daily life. Also, on his chin I could probably sustain myself on the crumbs that fall out of his mouth. I bet he eats wonderful food.
Will: Mars!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Amy: The Slavonic Dances by Dvorak remind me of my childhood. My dad used to play them while we were sorting laundry. To this day, every time I hear one of the Dances, an enormous grin splays out across my face, and I involuntarily make sorting things around me.
Will: Roger Miller, Fred Penner, Billy Joel, Elton John.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Amy: The ability to lucid dream on command. In my dreams I could potentially have every super power, without suffering any of the horrible repercussions a real-life super power could cause.

Will: The ability to time travel. It sounds fun!

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Amy: My band has indeed made “it”. If by “it”, one means a delicious pasta dinner.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Amy: Most fans don't know that I run scientific experiments on mouse brains on a regular basis. No, I'm not a sadist; I just conduct neuroscience research in a laboratory at the University of Michigan.

Will: I am a trained classical pianist and took classical piano lessons for 10 years.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Amy: My favorite holiday is “Give Amy a Ton of Free Music and then Chocolate” day. Unfortunately, it hasn't rolled around just yet.

Will: Halloween.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Amy: Spare time? I...I don't understand this concept. Is it an animal, vegetable, or mineral? Can I find it in the bread aisle?

Will: Watching movies, making and throwing boomerangs, reading, cooking, etc.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Amy: I can read books in trees at an expert level.

Will: Chess, singing, drumming, computer programming.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums