AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jack Johnson - To the Sea Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7
Production 7.25
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.88
Musicianship 4.5
Lyrics 4.25
Production 5.75
Creativity 3.25
Lasting Value 4.38
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 46%

Jack Johnson - To the Sea

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (06/03/10)
Jack Johnson - To the Sea
Record Label: Brushfire
Release Date: June 1, 2010

With his slow-but-steady rise to household-name status, Jack Johnson's popularity is one of those things that I never really got personally, but can understand the appeal he holds for other people. I have one of those picture-a-day "Islands" calendars on my desk, so I get the whole wishful-thinking and vicarious-living thing you can get toward those lucky souls who get to spend their lives standing in sand peering out over the ocean. And in some way, I suppose he speaks to certain aimlessly wayfaring individuals, a sort of Stephen Malkmus for the non-audiophile. Too bad his strummy and often languorous tunes sound mostly the same and offer little more than reasons to hate those "yeahhh, Jack Johnson, maaan" dopes even more.

This might make me seem predisposed to be less than favorable toward Johnson's new album To the Sea right off the bat, but that's not entirely the case. It's still very much a Jack Johnson album and probably won't hurt his standing with diehard fans, but to those with tepid feelings toward him, more than a few moments will seem to bring his previously monochromatic sound into widescreen HD. The first single and the album's opener "You and Your Heart" is a perfect example of this; it seems to reflect a realization that Johnson's lilting semi-hooky melodies and bland acoustic picking aren't enough to carry yet another set of songs. The ringing riffs and fuller, fleshed-out sound provide some much needed energy. Likewise, "At or With Me" and "From the Clouds" are Johnson at his most lively. For a guy typically known for being so laid-back, he rarely let his figurative hair down in the past, so it's enjoyable to hear him abandon his lazy head-nodders for some full-on grooves.

Still, the old Jack still shines through most of the album. At their cores, these songs aren't much different than anything he's ever done; light fare set to the usual easygoing melodies are still the norm. Johnson's voice still evokes that chilled-out vibe that suggests that a life of sun and surf renders one immune to life's troubles, though this makes a more "serious" tune like "My Little Girl" sound a little disingenuous. When he sings platitudes like, "The best I can do is try to show you how to love with no fear," his perpetually unruffled persona can't quite sell it. It's as though his aim is little more than making thirtysomething moms and dads say "awwww." But that's what populist icons do-- and if nothing else, Jack Johnson is definitely one of those.

RIYLJack Johnson's Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George
Ben Harper's Diamonds on the Inside
John Mayer's Heavier Things

Track Listing1. You and Your Heart (3:12)
2. To the Sea (3:30)
3. No Good With Faces (3:31)
4. At or With Me (3:57)
5. When I Look Up (0:58)
6. From the Clouds (3:05)
7. My Little Girl (2:20)
8. Turn Your Love (3:12)
9. The Upsetter (3:49)
10. Red Wine, Mistakes, Mythology (4:03)
11. Pictures of People Taking Pictures (3:19)
12. Anything but the Truth (2:53)
13. Only the Ocean (3:39)

Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52.
10:41 AM on 06/03/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Another snoozefest. This guy just keeps getting more disappointing.
10:44 AM on 06/03/10
Meeze
PropertyOfZack.com
User Info.
......but i can't stand this dude and his boring ass music
10:46 AM on 06/03/10
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
Another snoozefest. This guy just keeps getting more disappointing.

I like the change I'm hearing on some of his music but yeah, I do agree that it's a snoozefest, especially if you aren't in the right mood for it.
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
I can't stand him. His cover of Imagine is the only song I listen to. The rest doesn't appeal to me.
HometownHero
User Info.
He writes the same damn song over and over. Such a boring musician
11:08 AM on 06/03/10
Just An End
Can your walls hold a gorilla?
User Info.
his first two albums were great, third album decent, everything since then has been mediocre.. he's at his best when he doesn't have a full band behind him
11:09 AM on 06/03/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
his first two albums were great, third album decent, everything since then has been mediocre.. he's at his best when he doesn't have a full band behind him
He's at his best when he surfs. Not when he makes music. End of story.
11:16 AM on 06/03/10
B.G.
User Info.
eh..
11:54 AM on 06/03/10
van1ty
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
fair review man. as a fan of jack johnson I agree with the points you have made when classifying him as a musician. i will be reading more of your reviews.

-van1ty
12:09 PM on 06/03/10
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
RIYL Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside is a massive injustice to that Ben Harper album. Come on Jeremy.
12:12 PM on 06/03/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Even though I'm a big fan, he has become worse and worse as time goes on. But I still enjoy this record.
12:18 PM on 06/03/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
RIYL Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside is a massive injustice to that Ben Harper album. Come on Jeremy.
I agree. That album rules and this album blows.
12:22 PM on 06/03/10
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
<-- me and Ben

I agree. That album rules and this album blows.
Not Ben's best album (IMO Fight for Your Mind) but still, Diamonds is a great album.
12:26 PM on 06/03/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
<-- me and Ben

Not Ben's best album (IMO Fight for Your Mind) but still, Diamonds is a great album.
With Ben's discs, it's all about who you ask. Tons of people say his latest is his best. But I prefer Diamonds. My brother loves The Will to Live, and I can't get into it. And I don't love FIght For Your Mind, but I certainly respect it. Bottom line is the dude makes good albums, haha. Jack Johnson doesn't.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS