Password

Album Review

We Are the In Crowd - Guaranteed To Disagree EP Album Cover

We Are the In Crowd - Guaranteed To Disagree EP

Reviewed by
We Are The In Crowd - Guaranteed To Disagree
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: June 8, 2010
Bands of the pop rock/powerpop genre are a dime a dozen, and it's a rare occurrence when one of those bands happen to be good at what they do. In this case, this band gets it right. They formed just last year and got signed to Hopeless Records shortly after their formation. If that isn't impressive enough, just take a listen to their debut EP Guaranteed To Disagree. The EP contains seven fun-filled infectious tracks that are sure to catapult the band into stardom. Dual vocals, a male voice and a female voice, is the band's strongest attribute as the two vocalists breathe a whole lot of life into their songs.

The EP's opener ''Carry Me Home'' has female vocalist Tay Jardine singing at the top of her lungs as the song begins. A perfect opener with it's upbeat instrumentation and passion-filled vocals from both Jardine and Eckles shows the listener just what you're getting into with this band. Following ''Carry Me Home'' is the piano rock-driven song with a Rocket Summer feel to it, ''Never Be What You Want'', a song seemingly about a relationship gone wrong and not wanting to change for that person just to keep them around. Cartel's Will Pugh lends his vocals to the song near the end, taking it to a whole different level as he assists the band in making the song one of the EP's strongest tracks.

''Lights Out'', the EP's first single, has a great catchy melody and top notch vocals by both Eckles and Jardine. One of the EP's more rockier tracks with some keyboard sounds throughout the song and even some gang vocals to the make the song an appropriate single, it is a surefire way to grab your attention if you have never heard the band before. ''For The Win'' was the first song We Are the In Crowd released as a band, so of course it had to be put on the EP. It shows off the poppier side of the band's music; keyboards and cutesy, sassy lyrics are some of the things that make it the perfect powerpop song that will definitely get stuck in your head for days.

To put a close to this EP is the angsty, energy-filled ''Calender Pages", an upbeat song about dealing with a complicated relationship and getting completely fed up with your other half's bullshit and finally ending it. Jardine and Eckles trade off singing as if they were responding to each others' words. A great end to a fantastic, impressive EP. We Are The In Crowd has everything it takes to hit the big leagues, impressing their peers and making the bands that wish they could be in We Are The In Crowd's shoes jealous.

Fans of Hopeless Records bands past and present as well as pop rock shouldn't hesitate to pick up Guaranteed To Disagree. It will be money well spent and good music well listened to (I hope that didn't sound too cheesy). If you are a fan or soon will be, be sure to check out them on this year's Vans Warped Tour because they will be playing the whole tour and are sure to make an impact on it with their wonderful music.

Recommended If You LikeThe Morning Of, Sing It Loud, You, Me, and Everyone We Know, Male and female dual vocalists

Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from aradiantsunrise. You can see all of aradiantsunrise's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
09:02 PM on 06/11/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Love this EP
09:20 PM on 06/11/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
As do I, hopefully the full length will be just as good.
09:58 PM on 06/11/10
OdourlessHobo
woop woop woop
User Info.
Great review. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Will in "Never Be What You Want", I loved his part in that song and he definitely adds to the energy of the song.

This is quite a catchy EP, looking forward to hear more from them in the future.
10:27 PM on 06/14/10
KeytotheMidway
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this CD.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT