AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bright and Early - Louder Than Words Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.67
Musicianship 8.83
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 8.58
Lasting Value 8.17
Reviewer Tilt 8.58
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Bright and Early - Louder Than Words

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (06/04/10)
Bright and Early -Louder Than Words
Record Label: Unsigned (let's change that)
Release Date: June 15, 2010

Every time Midtown comes up on shuffle, every time I listen to "Empty Like the Ocean" or "Just Rock & Roll", I spend a good three or four minutes just wondering how the same guy who wrote those songs also wrote "Good Girls Go Bad". Then I listen to "Become What You Hate" and I laugh in my head at the irony. I think Bright and Early do these things too. On their debut EP, Louder Than Words, the New Jersey natives sing about everything from the way things used to be to going throughout life just surviving, even if your life sucks. Honest lyrics, pop punk that actually has a noticeable amount of punk in it, and a do-it-yourself ethic are what Bright and Early hang their hat on. Fans of genre who miss the days when Midtown, The Starting Line, and so many other bands that we now consider "classics" ruled the scene will appreciate this output and should respond positively to Bright and Early. The band are a breath of fresh air in a scene that has grown somewhat stale with only a few true standouts.

Musically, it is evident from opener "The Good Things End" that Bright and Early are very influenced by Midtown, but parts of their sound seem to draw similarities to Bayside from The Walking Wounded era. This isn't a band that are focused on writing catchy hooks or huge, arena-sized melodies, but "The Good Things End" along with each of the other four songs on Louder Than Words are very sing along-able. The Midtown influences continue with the line "If living well is the best revenge / Then I'm glad to say I'm doing well". "Something Personal" comes up next, a take-no-prisoners tongue-lashing of bands today that have sold out. If I could, I would quote the lyrics of the entire song, but that's not really the best way to write a review, so I encourage everyone to look them up. The song bashes All Time Low and expands to include certain trends and other bands like Attack Attack! and Green Day that Bright and Early believe have done wrong. There's an entire verse dedicated to Gabe and Midtown, which I think is the best to quote: "Why does everybody hate Cobra Starship? / Isn't it time that Gabe filled his pockets / Touring all around playing sold out shows / Selling neon yellow clothes to kids like dope / And there's nothing we can do but Midtown could stop it / Reunite, tour, at least for the profits / Hey! It's just rock and roll / And it's not okay to forget what you know". Bright and Early put into your stereos what everyone has always thought.

"Slow One" is a bit of a different pace, with a more mellow feel to it. At times the musicianship in this track reminds me of Tigers Jaw, but the vocals and the chorus are completely different. This song is the best track on Louder Than Words, as the honest lyrics are ideal for yelling them back in your car. The guitar work in the bridge show this band's all-around talent, as there is more than one occasion where they show the ability to play real guitar solos, something that has been a bit lost in the new era of pop punk. "Of Wasted Life" and "Nik Nak" both offer up catchy choruses, especially the latter. "Nik Nak" is a great closer to the EP and I can't wait to hear it live.

Bright and Early signify where pop punk has been and where pop punk needs to be again. There are a handful of great bands that are carrying the genre on their backs right now, and I'm prepared to add Bright and Early to that list. However, there are too many groups who got into it for the money and unfairly discredit the genre as a whole. As fans, as a reviewer sitting behind my computer typing this, as a reader sitting behind your laptop reading this, it's easy for us to call a band sell-outs because they go a different direction to get some radio play and make some cash. But the underlying truth is that plenty of us would do the same exact thing, because we all need to eat and pay rent. That only makes me back Bright and Early that much harder. And back I will.

Recommended If You LikeMidtown, Bayside, pop punk done right, not Cobra Starship
Download These Firstbuy this EP.
Bare Essentials1. The Good Things Ends
2. Something Personal
3. Slow One
4. Of Wasted Life
5. Nik Nak
Run Time:16 minutes, 30 seconds
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49.
10:38 PM on 06/04/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
10:54 PM on 06/04/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Thanks dude. I was about to post about not being able to find it, and it was on this site the whole time.
10:57 PM on 06/04/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Thanks dude. I was about to post about not being able to find it, and it was on this site the whole time.
Haha, no problem man. One of the better cover arts I've seen in a while.
11:08 PM on 06/04/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
I really liked that last paragraph. I need to go listen to the stream. I've been listening to Something Personal a lot lately.
11:11 PM on 06/04/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I really liked that last paragraph. I need to go listen to the stream. I've been listening to Something Personal a lot lately.
It took me twenty minutes to get that paragraph how I wanted it to sound.
11:24 PM on 06/04/10
HometownHero
User Info.
JB's voice is so raw and the lyrics are so honest. The first track is how I have felt about myself most of my life, and he just hit the nail on the fucking head. GREAT EP. Hopefully they come here soon
11:52 PM on 06/04/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
It took me twenty minutes to get that paragraph how I wanted it to sound.
That twenty minutes was worth it then, haha. Just listened to the EP, I'm really liking it a lot.
12:04 AM on 06/05/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Look forward to picking this up
02:41 AM on 06/05/10
holybatmon
Unregistered User
User Info.
If it's not better than ATL, I will heartily laugh!
03:52 AM on 06/05/10
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
The High Court was a guilty pleasure of mine, and I suspect this will be too.
06:33 AM on 06/05/10
njsuccessstory
The '59 Sound
User Info.
Even as an ATL fan, I can understand the hate on the band. But why the hate on Green Day?
09:01 AM on 06/05/10
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
This band is catchy as hell.
09:03 AM on 06/05/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
If it's not better than ATL, I will heartily laugh!
It is better.
09:03 AM on 06/05/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
The High Court was a guilty pleasure of mine, and I suspect this will be too.
Nothing guilty about this. This is pure pop punk.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests