Password

Album Review
Maker - I-91 Album Cover

Maker - I-91

Reviewed by
Maker - I-91
Record Label: Either/Or Records
Release Date: May 25, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

Maker are a pop punk band from Springfield, Massachusetts. I-91 is their latest output and offers up four songs of pop punk that leans a bit toward the hardcore end of the spectrum. Similar to Transit, Lifetime, and other earlier pop punk bands, Maker emphasize heavy guitars and are no strangers to gang vocals. Their sound is passionate and will attract fans of Such Gold.

How Is It?

Like I said, Maker's sound is very passionate, and they immediately attract attention because of that. After immensely enjoying this EP in my car for a few days, I decided last week that it was simply too short to write a review for. It's only four songs and 10 minutes long. What was I going to say about it? But I kept playing the EP when I went out and I couldn't get Maker's brand of pop punk out of my head, so I had to write something up for it. "Anything" and "Calendars" both chime in at under two minutes in length and are overlooked in favor of the other two tracks on the EP, but they both exemplify Maker's style. Gang vocals and furious guitars abound.

"I-91" and "Stand By Me" are songs that every pop punk kid should be anxious to see performed live. If you like climbing on your best friend's shoulders and sharing way too many brothers-in-arms moments in one night, then you'll fall for these two tracks. In "I-91", the cry of "I'm looking out for what's better for myself" never ever gets old, and you'll never ever get tired of belting it out. "Stand By Me" bests it, though, standing at over four minutes. It also contains the only real instance of a guitar hook in the EP, but the lack of catchiness takes nothing away from I-91. The chorus is catchy as well, and this song will instantly join countless playlists of fans of The Wonder Years and Such Gold.

Maker aren't the kind of band that will gain even a minor amount of celebrity among the underground. They will be relegated to opening up for other bands that are relatively unknown for a while, playing in venues that are smaller than your basement and not caring because it's what they love to do. It's bands like Maker that make music worth listening to but too often are unable to make much of it because they can't afford it. So if you like pop punk and you like good music, then actually pay to download this EP, or go see a show and buy a t-shirt. The underground needs bands like this.

Recommended If You LikeThe Wonder Years, Such Gold, Transit, pop punk
Download These Firstbuy it buy it buy it.
Bare Essentials1. Anything
2. Calendars
3. I-91
4. Stand By Me
Run Time: 10 minutes
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:39 PM on 06/05/10
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
This is a great band, the last line of the review is powerful, this band could put out an awesome LP I bet.
12:08 PM on 06/27/10
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
god damnit, pay attention to this EP. these guys should be heading the pop punk revival with Man Overboard.
09:36 AM on 07/16/10
Dbollus
djdbollus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good ass pop punk. Good ass live show.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT