AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Striking Back - 06.05.10

Interviewed by
Striking Back - 06.05.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Striking Back

www.strikingbackmusic.com
www.youtube.com/strikingback
www.facebook.com/strikingback
www.myspace.com/strikingbackmusic
www.twitter.com/strikingback
www.purevolume.com/strikingback

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, it's all about "striking back" against the things in my life that prevent me from being who I want to be. I worked a corporate job for 3 years prior to this--and I won't say I regret it (the money helped). But I will never sit in a cubicle again. Fuck that. But it was about other things, too. Unhealthy relationships, money, crutches--I've refused to let those things get in my way.

2. How did this band get started?
Well, I was in a place in my life for a while where I didn't think I needed to make music to be happy. I took 3 years off and tried the whole corporate job thing. It was fun, but I started to feel pretty empty after a while. So, I left my job and we recorded the album--Jim Wirt (producer), me, Patrick (arrangements), and our fantastic studio musicians Brian and Spike. Since then I've put together an awesome band here in Seattle (Tacket on drums, Jeff on Keys, Preston on guitar, and Scottie on bass).

3. What bands are you influenced by?
That list is bound to be pretty long, haha. I guess for vocals, it's Michael Jackson, Daniel Johns, and Bryan Adams (for my top 3). When I first started rock music, I was listening to Nirvana, Third Eye Blind, Bush, Weezer, Incubus, etc etc. I really like anything that's poppy and can rock a little--even a little Lady Gaga.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Well, from a cultural experience standpoint, I'd want to tour with the Beatles, Michael Jackson, or Elvis. It still amazes me to watch old videos of Elvis fans literally FREAKING OUT, or the videos of MJ fans just passing out and being basically crowd-surfed (while unconcious) to safety. The visceral displays by those fans really goes to show the impact that music can have on people.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
How about a blast-ended skrewt from Harry Potter. Is that allowed? What can I say...I'm a freak.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well, odds are that you'll probably like it. It's catchy and fun to sing along with, but it's also genuine. The musicianship and production is fantastic. Seems like a good resume for a new rock band to check out.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Well, since Preston is the guitarist, I'm gonna call him and ask him right now...he says "Falling" (unreleased until the EP comes out on June 15th). It's the most fun to play on guitar by far, but is really fun to play on all the other instruments too. For the record, I (Jordan) am AWFUL at both those games. I'm sure it'd be really hard on expert, but I'll never be able to beat it on easy anyway!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My musical family, my actual family, my friends, my pot dealer, and my masseuse. Oh, and my boss from my last job who fired me: thanks for reminding me why I don't belong in a cubicle.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd change the "what have you done for me lately?" and "what can you do for me today?" attitudes that I encounter on a daily basis. Those never lead to vibrant music scenes and/or great music in my opinion.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Definitely opening for Something Corporate. I barely know the guys, but Andrew introduced me to Jim (the producer of Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin, and Striking Back). They also came out and partied with us until the sun came up. Turns out you can still have a ton of fun in this business--a theme that has carried on throughout my entire journey with Striking Back.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net to me represents a music community (long-standing, now) that is full of people that are passionate about discovering new good music. I guess that sounds like a BS industry response, but it's true. It's exciting to have an outlet to AP.net users, because these are the people/fans that start music movements.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I recently did a rap/rock collaboration with the Seattle hip-hop groups State of the Artist and Gran Rapids called "Innovation." It stretched us all artistically, and it sounds great (you can find it on iTunes). It is soooo fun to play live.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I'm going to out myself as a pretty unseasoned traveler, haha. I've really enjoyed Waikiki--I like the party atmoshpere, the perfect weather (and beach, and palm trees), and the bars that stay open past 4am. I also love New Orleans and NYC. At the same time, camping at Mr. Rainier with my friends has provided some of the best times of my life.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
First, Michael Jackson. I feel like my family just grew up on MJ (and the Jackson 5). We listened to it (loudly) every day.
Second, the soundtrack for "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves." That started my semi-unhealthy childhood obsession with Bryan Adams' music ("Everything I Do" was the theme song), but I actually still really enjoy the scores by Michael Kamen--that guys is legit.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd want an advanced version of the "spidey-sense." The core advancement would have to be an ability to tell if someone is lying to me. Well, my human nature would love for me to be superman, but I'd probably end up taking over the world. So, I'll just make do with some advanced "spidey-sense."

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Absolutely not. Hopefully we are just getting started.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have an unhealthy obsession with Harry Potter. I have a $150 authentic Sword of Gryffindor hanging on my wall next to my bed.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Halloween. In general, I'm not a big holiday-er--but Halloween is about fun. I like that.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
When I'm not sucked into Facebook, I watch A LOT of TV--like Dexter, Sopranos, X-Files, Lost, BSG, Fringe--the list really goes on for a long time. My friends and I play a decent about of Halo and FIFA, too. But, I also try to go out every night and fight my hermit tendencies. I love going out and meeting new people, and inevitably forcing them to listen to my music. Once the weather turns, it'll be basketball pick-up games. Oh yeh, sports. I'm a season-ticket holder for the Seattle Sounders (pro soccer) and during college basketball season, Zags basketball is god in my house. I'll be a Seahawks fan again when they stop sucking.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I am BAD ASS at hacky-sack. I have trophies from middle school! I also like writing. I've recently ventured into screen-plays and short stories, but I have a long ways to go before I show that to anyone.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests