1. How did you get your band name?
I (Peter) was at a job interview at Nordstrom years ago, and the manager asked me if I'd even seen the movie "Boiler Room." I said, "ummm, sure," so he reminded me of a scene where Ben Affleck gives a speech about "acting as if." I ended up getting the job (nailed it), and something about that interview always stuck with me. I guess I thought "Act As If" was a catchy line.
2. How did this band get started?
I had played drums in a handful of bands before deciding I wanted to try writing/singing. I played my first acoustic show in college [Azusa Pacific University], which I'm sure was awful. I scraped together band members, played more shows, put out an EP, left LA to play drums for an artist in Chicago [Andrew Ripp], and eventually came back to LA to get back to work on Act As If. It's been a journey, but we just finished our first full-length, and I'm stoked :)
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Act As If is probably influenced by every band I love, including: Death Cab, Jimmy Eat World, The Beatles, Coldplay, Okkervil River, The Pale [incredibly underrated], Harvey Danger [first album is one of the best indie/pop records to own], Copeland, Third Eye Blind, Elliot Smith, and Margot & the Nuclear So & So's.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I was going to say 'The Beatles'...but I'm sure they'd actually be a pain in the ass to tour with. Which is too bad. They would not wanna hang much, I'm sure. I think Led Zeppelin would be a better choice. I could just stare at John Bonham killing it every night. And I bet they'd be super fun to hang with.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I just googled what a 'furry' is. I'm still not exactly sure. Can I be a white tiger?
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Listening to Act As If will hopefully bring some joy into your day. That's kind of the point. There's a lot of power in 'connection'...and a sort of uplifting spirit that comes from it. I think our songs are easy to relate to (without sounding cliche or redundant, hopefully), and can maybe foster that feeling of "connectedness" that we crave.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Probably "Not So Independent." It's got some pretty interesting guitar parts...I think it would be a blast on Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Considering my goal is not to write the most complicated guitar parts, I think a 5-star on expert would be pretty attainable :)
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My grandparents, my sister, Trader Joe's, and Mitch Hurwitz.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
This is dangerous. How about, "Free snow cones for everyone who buys tickets through ticketmaster." Everyone wins.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Chatting with a sound guy in Montreal, QC about his touring days with Jeff Buckley.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
One of the best places to catch up with new music.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite Act As If song to play right now is "Know Your Name." Non-Act As If, currently, is Ryan Adams "Come Pick Me Up."
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
In my dreams? Italy. I need to make it there.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
U2, MxPx, Boys II Men.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I keep thinking of sappy, meaningful things, but here's a fun one: to be able to communicate/tame any animal on the planet. I wanna ride on the backs of lions, dammit.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No way, jose.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
All of my songs are inspired by late 90's action flicks (e.g. Lethal Weapon 2, Under Siege, Broken Arrow, and Air Force One).
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. And as a bonus, I get to dust off my holiday vinyl (Charlie Brown Christmas, Frank Sinatra Christmas, etc), and treat myself to my one yearly viewing of 'Love Actually.' Magic.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I waste a lot of time online, or watching TV. I try to read everyday, and usually make it through a couple books a month. I'm fascinated with theology...love chatting with friends about it. I also love to hang out with my sister's cat, Kirby. He's my bff, for real.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Not many. I can't gleek, tie stems of fruits with my tongue, whistle, or speak another language. I CAN make a pretty killer omelet.