AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Thulium - 06.12.10

Interviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (06/11/10)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Thulium

http://www.myspace.com/thulium69

Interview with Chris the bassist:

1. How did you get your band name?
Thulium’s a really rare metal so it seemed kind of appropriate for us as we’re always there to rock out. The 69 afterwards is the metal’s name in the periodic table, but it could have various connotations I guess. I’m not suggesting anything though!

2. How did this band get started?
The first I saw of Boubou was a few pix on the MySpace page - the guy looks big and a touch on the scary side. I’d jammed with a few musicians though and was still on the look out for guys to be able to play music with and knock back a few afterwards. I heard some growls of his and thought yep – let’s try this. On my way to first meet him I’d listened to his voice and was getting ever more concerned that I was actually going to meet an ogre that was going to eat me and my bass for breakfast! It worked out though and he hasn’t used his knife and fork on me yet…

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We’ve each got a strong love of metal at the core of our band, but we all have enough conflicts in taste to make the sound work and keep it fresh. Everything from the current Metallica stuff to Blink 182 to eighties hair metal – it all plays a part in our metal stew. For me, playing the bass means that I also really like some of the older Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff for Flea's funky slap playing.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I would love to tour with NIN. For me that would just be the absolute pinnacle. I was at one of their O2 gigs in 2009 and Trent just knocked the ball so far out of the park I swear it must have landed on the moon. I’ve heard that back stage there’s all sorts of random antics that go on too which would be amusing – and if my understanding’s correct occasionally painful (I’d volunteer Boubou our singer for those bits J)!

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Meerkat definitely. It’s cool the way they watch each other’s backs no matter what – and they’ve always got their eyes open for danger which can be useful for us when summoning the powers of rock or metal gods.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
There’s information overload out there, so much choice and now more than ever bands need to stand out and give back to their fans. That’s what we’re trying to do every day. The music is for them while keeping true to ourselves.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
90 Days of Sorrow – it would start out relatively sparse, tricking you into a false sense of security. Then like a bettering ram it would smash your fingers into a bloody pulp with the fret burning solos half way through! Only Rock Gods need apply!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Aside from the obvious family nods which I could be there all night doing, I would thank any haters/bullies who said it couldn’t be done and for stoking the fire in our bellies to make it happen.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I dig digital downloads and it’s the way things are now so there’s no point resisting the tide. It’s just a shame that we see less and less vinyl around apart from a few limited special editions. The artwork on some of those is just amazing. I’d love to see more. I’ve got a cherished EP by Babylon AD which came out for the release of Robocop 2 with a great picture of him busting out of a wall. I know it’s kind of cheesy but the painting is super intricate and cyborgs rule.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Meeting my girlfriend – she came to see us early on in our touring career with a bunch of her friends. Back then we were often playing random gigs just to get our name out there which sometimes meant playing to a small hand full of people… Luckily she was one of those people and was cheeky enough to chat me up afterwards!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Absolutely awesome resource for punk/rock/metal!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Running - I get to play some really fun bass licks in that one which really get people jumping!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I’m reading the Bourne Identity at the moment and he goes to Marseille to sell off his stolen Jaguar. From a tourist’s point of view it sounds kind of cool for yacht spotting and I could practice my French. Otherwise Universal Studios so I could visit Jaws to get the big fish’s autograph and recommend a good dental hygienist before he scares me half to death!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I would really love to say something metal here, but as an eighties child with an older sister, much of my youth was spent being forced to listen to a lot of New Romantics stuff. So Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet… you get the picture. I should be having therapy sessions. It wasn’t until I heard Black Hole Sun that I started to find my way. I had to find metal for myself.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Hot hob hands. That way I can go buy any food I want and cook it whenever. I have a large appetite and a high metabolism so I’d be eating a lot of English breakfast.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I think we’re on our way. We’ve just released our first EP and I think we’ve got a very bright future.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I don’t need an instrument to make music. I can make a pretty convince owl noise just with my hands!

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Italy – I have to say that or my girlfriend (being Italian) will do unpleasant things to me.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
When I get the chance it’s nice to unwind with the xbox and as a great man online once said ‘meet new people and own them’. Otherwise a good John Carpenter movie always goes down well.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I love drawing – I regularly doodle when the mood takes. Think South Park mixed with Happy Tree Friends and you’ll have the idea. I’ll often draw funky pix of mates and I'm working on a short cartoon out of the sketches.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums