Password

Album Review

Michael Lowman - In My Own Words EP Album Cover

Michael Lowman - In My Own Words EP

Reviewed by
Michael Lowman -In My Own Words
Record Label: Authentik Artists
Release Date: June 8, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?
Twenty-three-year-old Michael Lowman is a singer-songwriter hailing from Durban, South Africa. He was discovered by Authentik Artists CEO Scott Austin via Palms Resort Director Zoe Thrail, who was captivated by Lowman's YouTube covers of songs by Damien Rice and others. After a few months of planning, Lowman flew to Las Vegas to record the disc and play some shows. In My Own Words is his debut EP and was produced by Mark Needham (The Killers, Fleetwood Mac). The disc includes contributions from Chris Chaney (Jane's Addiction, Alanis Morissette), Dave Palmer (Chris Isaak, Fiona Apple), Robin DiMaggio (Paul Simon, Steve Vai) and Eric Schermerhorn (Seal, Iggy Pop).

How is it?
Surprisingly quite promising. Lowman specializes in amiable, acoustic-based sensitivity not unlike John Mayer or Jason Reeves. Though his lyrics wade in the waters of Hallmark gooeyness, he does know how to write a solid song. He has a strong voice and a confidence behind his inflections and intonations that reveal he's spent many years honing his craft. Album opener "Have It All," begins as one would expect with crisply plucked acoustic guitar and an earnest vocal delivery. "In My Own Words," lessens the slack somewhat before "Inside (Looking Out)," introduces a more layered complex. Percussion, pianos and a lilting rhythm section help make this a more mature and enriching effort. Of all the tracks, none are better than the saccharine ballad "The One For You," which features sterling guitar work in the final minute and Lowman's finest vocal work on the entire EP. "Morning Shine," is no slouch and has a splashy radiance that echoes the radiant glow of the song's title. As expected, closer "What I See," is a bare-bones affair allowing Lowman to further illustrate his vocal breadth.

From the very first seconds of "Have It All," it's readily clear that Lowman's fan base is most assuredly going to be the female demographic, most notably 16-23 year olds. That being said, those of us that enjoy sensitive singer-songwriters will find something to enjoy, but be forewarned, this is not a disc for the broken-hearted. In My Own Words is in essence one-long valentine and proves that in addition to his movie-star good looks, Lowman will certainly find favor among the female lot. But he is not just a pretty face with sensitive tunes, the music is well put-together, crisply produced and has a cinematic quality that should do well in both movies and on TV. All this being said, Lowman might just be the next acoustic coffeehouse heartthrob. Lifetime Network, anyone?

Track Listing 1. Have It All
2. In My Own Words
3. Inside (Looking Out)
4. The One For You
5. Morning Shine
6. What I See

Recommended If You Like John Mayer's Inside Wants Out, Pete Schmidt's No Safe Bet, Graham Colton's Twenty Something EP, Matt Wertz's While We're Becoming EP and Dave Barnes' Chasing Mississippi

Find Him Here Myspace
Website

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version