Password

Album Review

Eminem - Recovery Album Cover

Eminem - Recovery

Reviewed by
Eminem - Recovery
Record Label: Aftermath/Interscope/Shady Records
Release Date: June 22nd, 2010
Marshall Mathers is finally back, but is it worth the wait? The last two albums Encore and Relapse disappointed fans. This time around, Shady recognizes his past two efforts were not as good as he would have hoped them to be. He raps about his dark period, dealing with his drug addiction, dealing with the loss of his dear friend Proof, and being back to his old self.

The album kicks off with "Cold Wind Blows". This time around, Em didnít spend a whole track on a PSA or introduction. Instead he dedicates the first few seconds of this first track for that, and itís done perfectly. The verses have some sick rhymes, the hook is strong, although not perfect. One of my favorites on the album, although not quite Ďití.

The track is followed by "Talkin' To Myself". Kobe does a perfect job with the chorus, and the beat for this song is great. Emís lyrics are sharp and his flow is nice. He declares his bitterness and his past jealousy of Lilí Wayne and Kanye. (Almost made a song dissiní Lilí Wayne/Itís like i was jealous of him because the attention he was getting). He also apologizes for the last two albums that did not satisfy fans as much as The Eminem Show or The Marshall Mathers LP. (Them last two albums didnít count / Encore i was on drugs, Relapse i was flushing Ďem out.)

The next two tracks slow down the flow of the album a bit. "On Fire" adds nothing interesting to the album, instead it tires the listener with a painful to hear hook and not that great verses. "Won't Back Down" doesn't help the album at all, and Pink's vocals are weak and unnecessary.

Starting on track 5, "W.T.P", the album starts getting better. Eminemís flow works magically for this track. This is a less serious track, but his lyrics are genius. "Going Through Changes" returns the album to a more serious tone, something about hearing Black Sabbath's "Changes" gave me a feeling that this would be a great track. And I was right. This track is another track about going through the loss of Proof, and recovering from the drug overdoses. This track shows how Eminem feels better than most tracks on the album, perhaps only with the exception of "Youíre Never Over". The first single "Not Afraid" keeps the album moving, and although it's not the best track on the album, it worked perfectly as a first single; it shows what the album is about without giving away the details or the best of it.

Track 8, "Seduction", is another track that does not deserve more than a few plays. It adds nothing new to the album and just interrupts the flow.

The two hyped tracks in the album, "Love The Way You Lie (Ft. Rihanna)" and "No Love (Ft. Lil' Wayne)" do not disappoint. Eminem creates a solid track with Wayne, even better than Wayne's "Drop The World" that featured Eminem. Eminem once again shows his superior verse, and although Wayne provided a strong verse, Eminem's shout out to Kanye and flow prove to once again overshadow Wayne's effort. "Love The Way You Lie" blended Rihanna's twisted lullaby about love and abuse and Eminem's distorted rhymes perfectly, creating what could be perhaps the best track on the album. Both collaborations are executed nicely, better than the collaboration with Pink for example.

The second half of the album provides nice songs with great hooks like "Space Bound" and "25 To Life" that add a more serious tone to the record once again, but the second half is also filled with average tracks like "Cinderella Man", "So Bad", and "Almost Famous". None of these tracks are as bad as "Won't Back Down" or "On Fire", but they are not great tracks either, they are simply average.

The album closes with "You're Never Over". This is by far the best track on the album. Yes, better than Lilí Wayne or Rihanna. This song shows Eminemís feelings like no other. The hook is ridiculously good, and the sampling towards the end adds perfection. The last verse shows Eminem at his most vulnerable. This track shows Eminemís pain in losing Proof better than any other track on the album. It is indeed a perfect way to close the album.

In conclusion, the album is full of strong tracks, and although it faces some minor bumps, there is nothing unbearable. This album is a must buy, and it is definitely a classic like The Eminem Show and the Marshall Mathers LP. The beats are not overproduced and none of the rhymes are forced, and Eminem finally got rid of the ridiculous accent that for some ruined Encore and Relapse. If you are hesitating, go purchase the album. It may not be the best album of all time, but it is surely worth the money if you are a fan of Hip Hop, or just Eminem. I'm personally a fan of other genres of music, but this is an album that can appeal to fans of any type of music.

Recommended If You LikeEminem, yelling, self-aware lyrics
This review is a user submitted review from xHoodieWeather. You can see all of xHoodieWeather's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
10:01 PM on 07/01/10
littlebeav
I'm Not a Doctor
User Info.
Solid review. Always enjoyed the first 2 Eminem albums, but certainly not the last 2. Will check this out.
12:30 AM on 07/02/10
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
idk why people didn't like Encore. It was very different from everything before it, but in an awesome way. Like Recovery, I prefer an Eminem that isn't writing raps about killing people (namely his ex-wife) or mommy issues...
12:31 AM on 07/02/10
ManInMusicBox
Says the spider to the fly...
User Info.
I, somewhat, disagree with your review. The rating is perfect %, if not higher, but you don't like "Won't Back Down" or "Seduction" ? Those two tracks are so sick! The people that I know that own the album mention how they are part of their favorite tracks; I highly disagree with your review of those tracks as they are part of the high points of this album. Both are a lot better than "No Love", easily...and thats only because Lil Wayne actually makes the song bad.
12:52 AM on 07/02/10
ReedAreTheUnion
We Are The Union
User Info.
I love Won't Back Down.
"I gave Bruce Wayne a valium and said settle your fucking ass down, I'm ready for combat, man. Get it? Calm bat man?"
So good.

I do agree Lil Wayne is not the best part of No Love. Seems kind of unnecessary. Also he's not the most talented lyricist and to put him next to Eminem seems cruel, haha.
12:59 AM on 07/02/10
DXercise
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"you're never over" best song on the album?? that's the one song i skip. i agree with most of the rest of the review. except "almost famous" is more than just average. it's a pretty awesome album.
01:09 AM on 07/02/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
"you're never over" best song on the album?? that's the one song i skip. i agree with most of the rest of the review. except "almost famous" is more than just average. it's a pretty awesome album.

Almost Famous is one of my faves. I skip W.T.P. and So Bad almost always. considering its a 78 minute album its amazing in my book.
01:19 AM on 07/02/10
Romancebled
Sleep underground tonight...
User Info.
Love this album. Currently in my top 10 of the year.
02:24 AM on 07/02/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
I was disappointed with this, a lot of the guest spots ruin it for me, and some of the beats aren't too good.
06:35 AM on 07/02/10
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
User Info.
I love Won't Back Down.
"I gave Bruce Wayne a valium and said settle your fucking ass down, I'm ready for combat, man. Get it? Calm bat man?"
So good.

I do agree Lil Wayne is not the best part of No Love. Seems kind of unnecessary. Also he's not the most talented lyricist and to put him next to Eminem seems cruel, haha.

Agreed on all counts. That line is phenomenal.
07:49 AM on 07/02/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
this review is horrible for so many reasons, if not for your "play-by-play" and your RIYL alone. it's extremely obvious that you don't listen to a lick of hip-hop and shouldn't review something you have no experience in unless you do some proper research.
08:12 AM on 07/02/10
se7en-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lol @ this review
08:38 AM on 07/02/10
B4Bronco6
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Talkin 2 Myself is the best track off the album.
08:40 AM on 07/02/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
93% is a score reserved for mind blowing albums. Marshall Mathers LP/Slim Shady LP would be around a 93%. This is a decent album.
08:59 AM on 07/02/10
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I love Won't Back Down.
So good.

I like Eminem's verse in no love, and the chorus, not weezy's part.
I hold my opinion that Wayne is highly overrated.

And won't back down, i think pink's hook is weak, but the verses are solid.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos