Password

Album Review

In Fear and Faith - Imperial Album Cover

In Fear and Faith - Imperial

Reviewed by
In Fear and Faith - Imperial
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: June 15, 2010
When one thinks of Rise Records, one usually responds with a feeling that can only really be described by the words "eww" and/or "yuck." And your response, mostly, would be a fair and sane one (Attack Attack! where you at?!). However, In Fear and Faith are a different breed of Rise. Where Attack Attack! and a lot of their company are comparable to the brother or uncle you have that never finished high school and lives in his mother's basement, drinking all the milk, In Fear and Faith are the very successful relative who went to college and who works at NASA and sends you a hefty amount of cash every year in the Christmas card.

They garnered a lot of recognition with their debut, Your World on Fire, and rightfully so. It was a tremendous breath of fresh air for the metalcore genre, and it's just what the record label needed to set them apart. Imperial continues what Your World on Fire started, but with a more grand and epic sound from a band that's already beyond their years (and, honestly, way beyond most anyone on their label. Way beyond.) This is a hauntingly beautiful album. From the powerhouse of an opener "The Solitary Life" -- which mirrors a lot of their debut -- to the piano-ridden beauty of "Heavy Lies the Crown" to the extremely satisfying and, at times, insane closer "Live, Love, Redeux", there's never a single moment wasted; never a single moment that dulls the experience.

For all of its quiet and slow-paced tracks though, the album is still heavier than ever. Tracks like "Counselor" and "Bones" will bring out the head banger in all of us. But with heaviness comes structure. In fact, a genius display of structure. The band never give too much, but never leave you wanting. But, the quiet and surreal tracks may turn away some fans who only want heavy. But, in the words of Admiral Adama: "We have lost no one that cannot be replaced by someone loyal."

Production has never been better for this band. Where their previous seemed to lack the funds, this album is top-notch on a production level. Musically, this album is wonderful. The band relies a lot more on the piano on this album, and it works more than wonders. It gives the album just the touch of haunted creepiness while maintaining the all-in-your-face metal riffs and double bass, heart-stopping drums. Scott Barnes shows why he deserves to be the clean vocalist for this band. His voice has improved tenfold. Cody Anderson really tightens his screams up and incorporates a more high-pitched sound that actually works for the record.

This is the metalcore album we've been waiting for. Screw that. This is the album I've been waiting for; that I've been anticipating all year. And there's no disappointment here. This band shows why they deserve the recognition, and why they deserve the respect in a record label mostly lacking any respectable talent. Forget Attack Attack! (not like that's a problem for most people anyways), this is Rise's road to success. And it's a road with good intentions, and high expectations.

Recommended If You LikeMetalcore at its finest, piano metalcore, Your World on Fire

Solid TracksPursuit, Heavy Lies the Crown, Bones

In Fear and Faith's Myspace
Buy It
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
11:46 AM on 06/30/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Great review! I will be picking up the album at Warped. For now I'm just satisfying my craving with Bones from the Warped compilation and Your World on Fire
02:38 PM on 07/01/10
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
album deserves the praise in your review
12:18 AM on 07/02/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
noice
01:02 AM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
I slightly agree with the user ratings although I would have gone lower then them. Nice write up though but I nearly disagree with every point.
01:03 AM on 07/02/10
silent_platypus
Elected Asskicker
User Info.
Good, honest review. Good structure and length too. Work on the RIYL though, try putting other bands in there hahaha.

Love the record, it shows that they took a lot of time working on it and writing for it, and it has a draw to it with musicianship well above the rest of the junk on Rise's roster. These guys definitely deserve praise in this genre.

Also, Ramin's piano talents are insane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPU1eWOpWA
05:47 AM on 07/02/10
buffziz
dannyziz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Was never really a fan of these guys until a friend told me I have to listen to Imperial. This album is so amazing.
06:02 AM on 07/02/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
i don't think i'd be able to enjoy these guys after they were so shitty opening for a day to remember.
07:11 AM on 07/02/10
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
i need to listen to this album a couple more times but it didn't blow me away. I think the piano is really overused and at times it hardly matches up with the rest of the music. Dude is talented but it seems like all his parts sound the same. That said, I know nothing about the piano... but while technically impressive, it seemed really repetitive throughout the album
07:12 AM on 07/02/10
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
i don't think i'd be able to enjoy these guys after they were so shitty opening for a day to remember.
i've seen IFAF a bunch of times and they've never disappointed
07:20 AM on 07/02/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
i've seen IFAF a bunch of times and they've never disappointed
maybe they were just disappointing compared to everyone else.

i see stars put on a surprisingly great show, parkway drive was phenomenal, and a day to remember put on a very fun performance.
08:04 AM on 07/02/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Disappointing last time I saw them live, I might check out this new record though. These guys never stood out for me.
08:11 AM on 07/02/10
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
haha love the first paragraph. esp the dig at AA!
08:52 AM on 07/02/10
runningfree1
User Info.
Literally one of the worst bands i've ever seen live.
09:24 AM on 07/02/10
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
I don't get people's problems with them live, they sounded fine the two times I saw them. Oh well. Haven't heard this all the way through yet, but I did really like You're World On Fire, so maybe I should check it out?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos