AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Re-spins: Catch For Us the Foxes

Posted by - 11:49 AM on 06/16/10
Maybe calling certain albums a "classic" overshadows certain appreciation for a record amongst a community that gauges albums so differently. For this week's nostalgia, I've taken another spin on mewithoutYou's 2004's Catch For Us the Foxes and attempt to understand its legacy amongst fans of the band. Hit the replies for some words and give us your take, the first time you heard it or what the album has meant to you as a fan or casual listener.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 80
11:49 AM on 06/16/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
AP.net RespinsSome albums speak louder than their words. Some albums' words speak louder than their music. Some albums, well, border which grabs the listener more, the lyrics or the instrumentation. For mewithoutYou, Catch For Us the Foxes not only turned heads amongst listeners and artists alike for its content, it put the band in a category all their own.

There is a mood across Catch For Us the Foxes unlike any other. It's dark and inwardly uncomfortable. There's so much hope, but it's masked under the heavy beats of drummer Rickie Mazzotta as he hits like heart murmurs maneuvering through vocalist Aaron Weiss' poetic delivery. Weiss acts less a frontman and more a town crier to a community latched onto every word of faith, hope, troubles and depression.

From the drive of "January 1979," where Weiss crams in a wordy story to how "The Soviet" crescendos into something special worth every goose bump up the crawl of your arm, the band floors the mind and floats the heart if its listeners. For some, the songs capture instrumentally, to others it's the lyrical content holding more worth. Songs like "Disaster Tourism" and "My Exit, Unfair" don't contain cheap opening riffs, instead they sound a bit more like smart little anti-breakdowns that set the mood and imagery.

Speaking of cheap, passion is something that is just thrown around these days, but listening to the closing "Carousels" and "Son of Widow," passion is defined not only by heartfelt words of Weiss but by the listener getting through his knack for storytelling and how uneasy it may be to follow. I'm not a grand writer able to capture that feeling through words, but I think there is an understanding of that "passion" amongst fans of the band.

Catch For Us the Foxes shows that some bands have the gall to try new things and some bands will continue to do the same and fade away. The album still holds up almost a decade later. As for its lyrical undertones, those can be debated amongst friends and family, but there's no argument that mewithoutYou set a bar with their sophomore release. To this day, I can't even tell you a band or album that sounds anything "like it," past or present. That says a lot with how many similar RIYL you see these days.
11:58 AM on 06/16/10
IceAge/HeatWave
hello earth
User Info.
well done.

while i prefer brother, sister, this is definitely one hell of an album. mewithoutYou almost single-handedly rejuvenated my interest in faith, and remains one of my three favorite bands. carousels is one of the most flawless songs in the band's catalogue.
12:00 PM on 06/16/10
Bazy0
User Info.
Yeah, this is a really good album, I'm going to listen to it right now. January 1979 is one of my favourite songs ever.
12:02 PM on 06/16/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Is this a new weekly column?
12:06 PM on 06/16/10
showyourteeth
Busy, Busy, Busy
User Info.
seeing these guys tonight
can't wait
12:07 PM on 06/16/10
dismrepair08
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would definitely agree that Catch For Us the Foxes is a classic. It's easily one of my all-time favorites...Aaron Weiss's lyrics are the defining element of this album (and this band) for me. His gut-wrenchingly honest explorations of things like life, faith, and loneliness are like a touchstone that I always seem to come back and relate to. The music seems to match the lyrics perfectly, resulting in an album that is introspective, brooding, and cathartic. All-in-all, it's just a great album.
12:08 PM on 06/16/10
hydraulicheart
The world is yours, so take it.
User Info.
This album (and band) has done so much for me. Hands down my favorite record of all time. This band can do no wrong for me.
12:08 PM on 06/16/10
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
12:09 PM on 06/16/10
Cody Nelson
User Info.
OK. Real cool. I like this new title better, though.
12:10 PM on 06/16/10
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
OK. Real cool. I like this new title better, though.
that's something that was under discussion. i.e. the first line I put in the news post. haha.
12:12 PM on 06/16/10
Cody Nelson
User Info.
that's something that was under discussion. i.e. the first line I put in the news post. haha.
Haha, understandable.
12:12 PM on 06/16/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
Words can barely express the greatness of this album.
12:15 PM on 06/16/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
This album inspires awe.
12:18 PM on 06/16/10
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
JANUARY NINETEEN SEVENTY NINE
saw a terrible crash

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE