Password

Album Review

Eminem - Recovery Album Cover

Eminem - Recovery

Reviewed by
Eminem - Recovery
Record Label: Interscope/Shady/Aftermath
Release Date: June 21, 2010
Eminem’s 2009 comeback was a vain one at best. It was the same year where Raekwon released a stellar sequel to an album that was 15 years old and the year that held a Reflection Eternal reunion; we really didn’t need him back. Despite having the highest selling hip-hop record of the year, his critical shortcomings didn’t go unnoticed. He knew that Relapse was “eh…” (far worse, actually) and it was perhaps just a mere haze of drug-induced shock records chock full of sodomy and roofies. Recovery was meant to be Marshall’s critical redemption. With promises of a follow-up to Relapse being a near classic via Just Blaze and several others within his camp, the bar was set fairly high. Even after the release of “Not Afraid,” it was evident that Em had ditched the kitschy first single and was ready to make heads roll, the same way he did in his heyday.

Recovery starts out with three of Eminem’s strongest songs since The Eminem Show. “Cold Wind Blows” comes through with the throwback mischief we’ve all celebrated Eminem’s presence in hip-hop for, and “Talkin’ to Myself” is the most introspective cut from the new batch. On the track, he addresses his childish envy of fellow heavyweights Lil Wayne and Kanye West, both of whom had banner 2008s, which left Em wondering what he was doing incorrectly. This thought process ultimately leads to the most prolific of declarations, “Encore - I was on drugs/Relapse – I was flushin’ em out.”

As far as the topic of album content goes, there are slim-pickings. There are far too many one-liners about male genitals and way too many songs focused on “haters” and “non-believers,” a few of which we could’ve stood to do without. However, the album does have its share of gems. Perhaps one of the most notable is the surfacing of Eminem’s audio tribute to childhood friend and late D-12 member Proof on “You’re Never Over,” which is vulnerable, earnest and honest – something this album needed desperately. The Sabbath-sampling “Going Through Changes” and “25 to Life,” the classic “marriage to hip-hop” metaphor are also two of the album’s finest, both boasting the intensity and verbal gymnastics Eminem has been known for.

Once the initial novelty of Eminem rapping without that half-assed Rastafarian accent wears off, you’ll realize that there might’ve been too much hype surrounding the release of Recovery. Sure, the artwork’s slick and the lineup for the production credits are as diverse as the actual beats are impressive. But it feels like the real fury that made his reigning predecessors such as The Eminem Show and The Marshall Mathers LP so respected is missing. On those albums, he was hungry. On Recovery, namely songs like “Seduction” and “White Trash Party,” feel like they were just Relapse throwaways. The feature with Pink plays smoothly, but the same can’t be said about “The Way You Lie,” his collaboration with Rihanna. Two serious questions are raised here; why her presence on the album exists, and why the content of her chorus tiptoes on a sensitive subject that Eminem hasn’t been the most diplomatic about throughout the course of his career.

Recovery might have jumped the gun a bit too quickly after Relapse, considering it has only been a year since its release. There are a few too many filler tracks that he was working with, even though bringing the likes of DJ Khalil, Just Blaze and Boi-1da behind the boards for this project was an immense improvement from the tired and worn beats by Dre. The everyday “Stan” will insist that this is one of Eminem’s strongest albums, but what record wouldn’t seem that way after Relapse? As for those of us who enjoy keeping our higher standards intact, Recovery is a fairly average notch on the belt of Eminem’s discography.

Recommended If You LikeEminem's Encore, being a 'Stan,' excessively phallic lyrical content, beats with a live drum aesthetic, double-timed flows

www.myspace.com/eminem
This review is a user submitted review from weworemasks. You can see all of weworemasks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
04:54 PM on 06/30/10
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
Disagree with the Rihanna hate.

I guess I liked this album a lot more than you did.
11:16 PM on 06/30/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Still don't see how/why Ridaz and Session One are the b-sides when stuff like WTP and (aptly) So Bad make the cut. Cliched question, but what was he thinking? Then again, this is the third time he's got bonus songs that are greater than much of the album cuts, so I probably shouldn't even be shocked.

Also, you make some great arguments here, dude. I think I personally averaged it out to give it an at least slightly higher score (though the tilt is no more than 8 for me), but this review still earns my respect, if not quite as much my agreement. Good stuff as always, Roshan.
01:23 AM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Solid review. I figured you would have given it less then a 70 though. Just had no staying power with me. Shame.
01:56 AM on 07/02/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Solid review. I figured you would have given it less then a 70 though. Just had no staying power with me. Shame.

Its more like a 60ish. I don't like the AP rating system at all. On wwm, its just a "C-."

Ah well. This review is still written by a beast with a journalism degree - +1 for AP.

Only half-joking.
10:00 AM on 07/02/10
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
User Info.
Great review. Its definitely as disappointing album. I really tried to like it too but so many of the songs just came off as annoying. Woulda likely put it in the 60s.
01:09 PM on 07/02/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Thank God, a review that is much more realistic about the score.
01:15 PM on 07/02/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Still don't see how/why Ridaz and Session One are the b-sides when stuff like WTP and (aptly) So Bad make the cut. Cliched question, but what was he thinking? Then again, this is the third time he's got bonus songs that are greater than much of the album cuts, so I probably shouldn't even be shocked.

Also, you make some great arguments here, dude. I think I personally averaged it out to give it an at least slightly higher score (though the tilt is no more than 8 for me), but this review still earns my respect, if not quite as much my agreement. Good stuff as always, Roshan.
i've been bumpin 'session one' more than anything on the album

it would've been nice to have a rap feature on the record other than weezy.
01:19 PM on 07/02/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
i've been bumpin 'session one' more than anything on the album

it would've been nice to have a rap feature on the record other than weezy.
My most listened is Going Through Changes. No coincidence that the best song on each of his last three (Mockingbird, Beautiful, and GTC, respectively) are taking the heartfelt confessional route.

Agreed like a motherfucker. Then again, I'm still satisfied with the lack of 50.
01:46 PM on 07/02/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Its more like a 60ish. I don't like the AP rating system at all. On wwm, its just a "C-."

Ah well. This review is still written by a beast with a journalism degree - +1 for AP.

Only half-joking.
You definitely have some of the better stuff on here. And at least you don't suck the dick of things others praise just because of who/what it is. In the words of Drake: "The problem with all these other n***** they ain't never real." Word.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos