AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Brighterside - 06.24.10

Brighterside - 06.24.10

Interviewed by
Brighterside - 06.24.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Brighterside

www.absolutepunk.net/brighterside
www.myspace.com/brighterside
www.facebook.com/brighterside

1. How did you get your band name?
Everything you ever hear about these days is negative. You can't turn on the news without hearing about children dying or natural disasters. We like to think there is a "Brighterside" and we're ready to take over the world with that mindset!

2. How did this band get started?
Brighterside started back in 2008. Cam and Garrett put out 3 acoustic tracks, but unfortunately, the band was put on hold for a while. Now we're hitting the ground running with the addition of Tyler and Mark, and we're hoping to catch a lot of attention with the release of our new EP this summer.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We take most of our influence from music that we grew up listening to. I think that's something that definitely shows through in our music. We're all into bands like Third Eye Blind and Something Corporate and we draw influence from that as well as a ton of other music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

We'd love to tour with Taking Back Sunday and Third Eye Blind. The first just comes to my mind when I think of bands to tour with, I can't put my finger on a reason but it would be rad to tour with them, especially since they're back to the original lineup. The latter, Third Eye Blind, because they're a band that we'd all love to see every night for weeks.

5. If you were a furry animal, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
That is a surprisingly hard question to answer. We wouldn't mind being a furry animal but would rather be an animal that is furry and ferocious at the same time. Like a tiger or something.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to our band because its fun, catchy, head-bobbing music that you can turn up all the way to 10 and drive down the freeway and forget every worry you have in the world.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to beat five-star on expert?
If we were chosen to be in either of those games we would definitely want our new single, "Right Now" to be the song selected for it. It's upbeat and has a spleen-splitting guitar solo in it. It would definitely be the last song to beat the game! Right Now > Through The Fire And Flames

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Mom and Pop for sure. And of course all the fans and ap.net readers!

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

The industry is so inflated with bands that are unoriginal and lazy. I would make it so that the hardworking bands with something new to offer were the ones who "made it".

10. Memorable tour experience?
During the last song of our set at a show in May, I went to swing my bass up and I took the most awkward tumble and fell on my ass, and everyone in the band noticed but everyone in the crowd thought I did it on purpose, partly due to the fact that I kept playing during the fall and while on the floor of the stage. We shared a good laugh though.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a cool place to get all your music news. It's the bee's knees!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Our favorite song to play is definitely "Holding On". It's the last song of our set and it has some great parts to rock out to. We definitely get the crowd going the most during this song and it leaves them with a reason to come back!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
The van of course.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Bands like Third Eye Blind, Something Corporate, and really anything from the 90s.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Hands down, the ability to fly. Just think about it, who needs a van when you can fly!?

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Nope. Never. Not until we got a record that's certified platinum.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Most of our fans don't know that Cam used to tour on guitar for another band and he toured with Every Avenue, Sparks The Rescue, and Cash Cash.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. Gotta love Christmas movies.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We like to write more music in our spare time so all the cool fans out there have something new to listen to! ;)

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

We're really good at breaking down on the highway on tour. Not sure if that's a talent though... haha.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
09:06 PM on 06/29/10
JoeQuirk
User Info.
Love these guys!
09:10 PM on 06/29/10
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hate Tyler Reardon so much.
09:20 PM on 06/29/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.

Hahaha, hmm...your profile says you're a fan of Semester Abroad, which is Tyler Reardon's old band, and your email is "info@thenorthstaragency.com", which The Northstar Agency is Tyler Reardon's booking agency. So...uh, did you just comment on your own band, Tyler? Hahaha, what a tool.
09:46 PM on 06/29/10
presdaddy
User Info.
mark is so cute xx
09:54 PM on 06/29/10
shimmyshakes
Registered Member
User Info.
Holy cow, I remember listening to them a long time ago when it was just 2 of them. Glad they were brought up again.
10:29 PM on 06/29/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Furthermore, ease off dude. If you dont like it, keep it to yourself. Don't post douchey comments on AP.net. What are you doing in your free time? Jacking off? Go do something productive

Fun fact about being a band: you're gonna get some criticism. Especially when I can't help but notice someone from your ex-agency (maybe you, maybe not you...who knows) is plugging your band because they know you. I've give you something constructive and, hopefully, "productive" feedback on your band though:

Songwise, it's pretty good quality recordings, singer's got a good voice, and it's better than Semester Abroad, but the songs are kind of generic pop. Like I'll listen and forget the song. Bands like The Format made unique pop with great lyrics and interesting instrumentation. I'm not saying enlist an entire orchestra, but try quirkier stuff and maybe less lyrically on seeing girls undressed. I caught you opening for Cartel and it was, frankly, weak. You guys need a hell of a lot more practice; you all looked rigid and your stage presence looked really rehearsed. Have fun. Let loose. Live music is basically all about having energy on stage, whether it comes out in dancing around on stage like a fool or jumping into the crowd and having everyone sing along.

Alright, well, I better get back to jacking off and doing unproductive stuff. Hope you take some of my jaded, douchebaggy music geek feedback to heart.
10:57 PM on 06/29/10
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haha i hate you too bryan mac. : )
I met some kid who apparently did promos for Semester Abroad the other night at Wonder Years.
And he almost immediately went on a tangent about how gay you are.
07:15 AM on 06/30/10
Gspot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hey dude(luvsickcatalyst..cool name bro)...i love how your life consists of being on absolutepunk hatin on bands..its cool stuff..anyways...brightersides 2 new songs are their FIRST releases since like 2008, so in my opinion, they have showed some major major improvements and have obviously been doin some work. i was at the show with cartel, and ymaewk..they didnt play great but it was their 3rd show ever as a band so let up..they played great and had a lot of energy on stage. did you expect them to be as tight as YMAEWK, who have been playing together for years? not gonna happen if its a bands 3rd show bro..
10:00 AM on 06/30/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
hey dude(luvsickcatalyst..cool name bro)...i love how your life consists of being on absolutepunk hatin on bands..its cool stuff..anyways...brightersides 2 new songs are their FIRST releases since like 2008, so in my opinion, they have showed some major major improvements and have obviously been doin some work. i was at the show with cartel, and ymaewk..they didnt play great but it was their 3rd show ever as a band so let up..they played great and had a lot of energy on stage. did you expect them to be as tight as YMAEWK, who have been playing together for years? not gonna happen if its a bands 3rd show bro..
Hey there, Gspot. Fun name you got there yourself.

Actually, I don't hate on many bands here like a ton of users do. If I like what I hear, I give praise. If a band doesn't sound good at all, I will usually just move on and keep my mouth shut.

These kids are from around my area and, as you said, only recorded 2 songs as a newly reformed band and have only played 3 shows. All I'm saying is before you start plugging your band on AP.net and booking shows opening for Cartel, you should probably get more practice in, get a good handful of songs, and play the VFW and Knights of Columbus halls with local bands. Sure, it's great to have a awesome looking MySpace page and be able to say you opened for Cartel, but it's better to say you have a loyal local fanbase from playing the VFW shows and are a really great live band as well.
12:14 PM on 06/30/10
TylerReardon
Songwriter
User Info.
Fun fact about being a band: you're gonna get some criticism. Especially when I can't help but notice someone from your ex-agency (maybe you, maybe not you...who knows) is plugging your band because they know you. I've give you something constructive and, hopefully, "productive" feedback on your band though:

Songwise, it's pretty good quality recordings, singer's got a good voice, and it's better than Semester Abroad, but the songs are kind of generic pop. Like I'll listen and forget the song. Bands like The Format made unique pop with great lyrics and interesting instrumentation. I'm not saying enlist an entire orchestra, but try quirkier stuff and maybe less lyrically on seeing girls undressed. I caught you opening for Cartel and it was, frankly, weak. You guys need a hell of a lot more practice; you all looked rigid and your stage presence looked really rehearsed. Have fun. Let loose. Live music is basically all about having energy on stage, whether it comes out in dancing around on stage like a fool or jumping into the crowd and having everyone sing along.

Alright, well, I better get back to jacking off and doing unproductive stuff. Hope you take some of my jaded, douchebaggy music geek feedback to heart.
Hey man. You got your head on straight. Thanks for the constructive criticism.
12:33 PM on 06/30/10
TylerReardon
Songwriter
User Info.
And I mean as far as music goes. This is the music we write. We don't write it to be like anyone else, we write it because that's what comes out when we write songs. That should be the only thing that matters, if that's not good enough, so be it.
01:49 PM on 06/30/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
And I mean as far as music goes. This is the music we write. We don't write it to be like anyone else, we write it because that's what comes out when we write songs. That should be the only thing that matters, if that's not good enough, so be it.
I respect the honesty, man. With the really nicely designed MySpace layout, kind of straightforward pop, and opening for Cartel, I kind of pegged you for a band that made music just to get rich/famous quick. If you're making the music honestly for yourself, then I have no reason to call you out on anything.
04:01 PM on 06/30/10
TylerReardon
Songwriter
User Info.
I respect the honesty, man. With the really nicely designed MySpace layout, kind of straightforward pop, and opening for Cartel, I kind of pegged you for a band that made music just to get rich/famous quick. If you're making the music honestly for yourself, then I have no reason to call you out on anything.
Thanks dude. Glad to see this worked out better. Hate Ap.net fights.
07:31 PM on 06/30/10
AliciaMurley
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great band,the 2 new songs are way better then anyone I know thought they would be.I only have met 2 of the guys but they're both amazing guys and I'm sure the other 2 are also.really can't wait to see what's in the future for them

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos